Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Diluting Isopon

Hi all

Some time ago, I took the advice of someone on this group to use Isopon for
critical filling work.
It works really well for tricky/exposed dents in wooden doors etc.
The only issue I have with the stuff is that, as you get to the last 1/3 of
the tin, it tends to have lost a lot of the liquid content and so becomes
difficult to mix and apply.
The tin I have has probably been in use for 9 months and opened maybe a
dozen times (I always put the top back on as soon as I have removed the
filler).

So what is the liquid and is there an alternative usually found in the
average garage cupboard?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Sep, 08:51, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Some time ago, I took the advice of someone on this group to use Isopon for
critical filling work.
It works really well for tricky/exposed dents in wooden doors etc.
The only issue I have with the stuff is that, as you get to the last 1/3 of
the tin, it tends to have lost a lot of the liquid content and so becomes
difficult to mix and apply.
The tin I have has probably been in use for 9 months and opened maybe a
dozen times (I always put the top back on as soon as I have removed the
filler).

So what is the liquid and is there an alternative usually found in the
average garage cupboard?

TIA

Phil

I've successfully thinned this type polyester filler with a drop of
polyester resin. (The type you use for GRP lay-up).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

1501 wrote:
[...]

Me too. Halfords do it in small cans, but it increases the setting time
a little IME
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Some time ago, I took the advice of someone on this group to use
Isopon for critical filling work.
It works really well for tricky/exposed dents in wooden doors etc.
The only issue I have with the stuff is that, as you get to the last
1/3 of the tin, it tends to have lost a lot of the liquid content and
so becomes difficult to mix and apply.
The tin I have has probably been in use for 9 months and opened maybe
a dozen times (I always put the top back on as soon as I have removed
the filler).

So what is the liquid and is there an alternative usually found in the
average garage cupboard?

TIA

Phil

Blimey, can you still get it?!

I remember using it (called David's Isopon then, ISTR) nearly 50 years ago
for repairing a corrugated iron water butt which had frozen solid, and the
ice had started to push the bottom out. Mavellous stuff - the butt lasted
another 20 years after that!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Sep, 08:51, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Some time ago, I took the advice of someone on this group to use Isopon for
critical filling work.
It works really well for tricky/exposed dents in wooden doors etc.
The only issue I have with the stuff is that, as you get to the last 1/3 of
the tin, it tends to have lost a lot of the liquid content and so becomes
difficult to mix and apply.
The tin I have has probably been in use for 9 months and opened maybe a
dozen times (I always put the top back on as soon as I have removed the
filler).

So what is the liquid and is there an alternative usually found in the
average garage cupboard?

TIA

Phil

Next time you buy a can, make sure that you stir the contents every
time you use it; that way you'll get consistent density and setting
times.

diluting walnut oil jw 111 Woodworking 8 June 14th 05 02:11 PM
Diluting Interior Primer [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 24th 05 06:39 PM