Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (OT?) monitor

An organisation my wife is involved with is looking to have a monitor on the
wall in their reception area showing a sequence of screens in a loop - i.e.
something similar to a PowerPoint presentation. I was asked to help, but am
not sure how to go about it...

Unfortunately the monitor cannot be connected to a PC or similar. Initially
I thought about converting the presentation to a video format, and using a
digital photo frame. However, as most of their visitors are elderly, they
require the monitor to be at least 19", and I cannot find anything that can
do that.

Any thoughts/ideas will be much appreciated.

TIA..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
An organisation my wife is involved with is looking to have a monitor on the
wall in their reception area showing a sequence of screens in a loop - i.e.
something similar to a PowerPoint presentation. I was asked to help, but am
not sure how to go about it...

Unfortunately the monitor cannot be connected to a PC or similar.

Why?

Any thoughts/ideas will be much appreciated.

Panasonic (and others) have a range of LCD TVs that include a SD card
slot, with which you can playback slideshows.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Sep, 21:11, "JoeJoe" wrote:
An organisation my wife is involved with is looking to have a monitor on the
wall in their reception area showing a sequence of screens in a loop - i.e.
something similar to a PowerPoint presentation. I was asked to help, but am
not sure how to go about it...

Unfortunately the monitor cannot be connected to a PC or similar. Initially
I thought about converting the presentation to a video format, and using a
digital photo frame. However, as most of their visitors are elderly, they
require the monitor to be at least 19", and I cannot find anything that can
do that.

Any thoughts/ideas will be much appreciated.

TV with built-in DVD?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Buy a modern supermarket big-screen lcd TV.

Get hold of a cheap old laptop.

Laptops almost always have vga and (often) s-video outputs.

Modern lcd TV screens almost always have the same inputs.

Laptop can easily be tucked away near the screen - and configured to
start the presentation automatically when powered up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
.. .
An organisation my wife is involved with is looking to have a monitor on
the wall in their reception area showing a sequence of screens in a loop -
i.e. something similar to a PowerPoint presentation. I was asked to help,
but am not sure how to go about it...

Unfortunately the monitor cannot be connected to a PC or similar.
Initially I thought about converting the presentation to a video format,
and using a digital photo frame. However, as most of their visitors are
elderly, they require the monitor to be at least 19", and I cannot find
anything that can do that.

Any thoughts/ideas will be much appreciated.

My 32" Samsung can play stuff off its inbuilt USB port, I expect others can.

TIA..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:11:02 +0100, JoeJoe wrote:

Unfortunately the monitor cannot be connected to a PC or similar.

Burn the presentation to a DVD and put the player into loop play
mode. I think you can set the disc to do that for you as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
.. .
An organisation my wife is involved with is looking to have a monitor on
the wall in their reception area showing a sequence of screens in a loop -
i.e. something similar to a PowerPoint presentation. I was asked to help,
but am not sure how to go about it...

Unfortunately the monitor cannot be connected to a PC or similar.
Initially I thought about converting the presentation to a video format,
and using a digital photo frame. However, as most of their visitors are
elderly, they require the monitor to be at least 19", and I cannot find
anything that can do that.

Any thoughts/ideas will be much appreciated.

TIA..

How about using an all-in-one PC, effectively a monitor with a built-in PC
e.g. Dell Studio One 19 - just an example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
.. .
An organisation my wife is involved with is looking to have a monitor on
the wall in their reception area showing a sequence of screens in a loop -
i.e. something similar to a PowerPoint presentation. I was asked to help,
but am not sure how to go about it...

Unfortunately the monitor cannot be connected to a PC or similar.
Initially I thought about converting the presentation to a video format,
and using a digital photo frame. However, as most of their visitors are
elderly, they require the monitor to be at least 19", and I cannot find
anything that can do that.

Any thoughts/ideas will be much appreciated.

TIA..

Thanks for all the suggestions - the TV + DVD player is probably the best
option. I forgot to mention that they are on a budget, but more importantly
residing within a recently built PFI NHS building, whe

- they are not allowed any permanent fixing to any wall - no nails, screws,
blu-tack, pins, etc
- It will be weeks before any new electrical device will be approved by the
WHY-NOT crew that seem to occupy these places nowadays.

So a simple cheap and cheerful existing TV + DVD player setup is probably
the best solution.

Thanks again.