Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blasted burglar alarm

My burglar alarm went faulty during the night and went off. No problem,
I thought, I simply reset it and left it until the morning, I also
noticed that it thought there was no power. About an hour later the
outside bell started off, as there was no power to the alarm I could not
reset it. It kept sounding for most of the night until its internal
battery ran flat, at least that is what I assume. There was no way I was
going up a ladder at 4.0am! Needless to say no one responded, so what is
the point anyway, I am thinking of leaving it broke!
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback writes:
My burglar alarm went faulty during the night and went off. No problem,
I thought, I simply reset it and left it until the morning, I also
noticed that it thought there was no power. About an hour later the
outside bell started off, as there was no power to the alarm I could not
reset it. It kept sounding for most of the night until its internal
battery ran flat, at least that is what I assume. There was no way I was
going up a ladder at 4.0am! Needless to say no one responded, so what is
the point anyway, I am thinking of leaving it broke!

How well do you know your neighbours?

If mine goes off, usually a couple of sets of neighbours come and
investigate. Similarly, if someone else's goes off, I go out to
investigate. Of course, if you suffer multiple false alarms, then
the enthusiasm of the neighbours quickly vanishes. (If you are
fitting your own alarm, I suggest you don't connect up the external
sounder until you've gone for several months with no false alarms,
or you can easily blow any good-will with a few teething problems
causing false alarms.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
My burglar alarm went faulty during the night and went off. No
problem, I thought, I simply reset it and left it until the morning,
I also noticed that it thought there was no power.

It looks like it thought right!

About an hour
later the outside bell started off, as there was no power to the
alarm I could not reset it.

Yep

It kept sounding for most of the night
until its internal battery ran flat, at least that is what I assume.
There was no way I was going up a ladder at 4.0am! Needless to say no
one responded, so what is the point anyway, I am thinking of leaving
it broke!

Have you investigated what happened to the power (and to your neighbours)?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
Broadback wrote:
My burglar alarm went faulty during the night and went off. No
problem, I thought, I simply reset it and left it until the morning,
I also noticed that it thought there was no power.

It looks like it thought right!

About an hour
later the outside bell started off, as there was no power to the
alarm I could not reset it.

Yep

It kept sounding for most of the night
until its internal battery ran flat, at least that is what I assume.
There was no way I was going up a ladder at 4.0am! Needless to say no
one responded, so what is the point anyway, I am thinking of leaving
it broke!

Have you investigated what happened to the power (and to your neighbours)?

Tim

It is only the second time it has had a false alarm in nine years, so
the neighbours are not p***ed off, just uninterested. I will have a look
at the alarm, the power to the alarm is ok, I think the internal psu has
gone tilt.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Broadback
writes
My burglar alarm went faulty during the night and went off. No problem,
I thought, I simply reset it and left it until the morning, I also
noticed that it thought there was no power. About an hour later the
outside bell started off, as there was no power to the alarm I could not
reset it. It kept sounding for most of the night until its internal
battery ran flat, at least that is what I assume. There was no way I was
going up a ladder at 4.0am! Needless to say no one responded, so what is
the point anyway, I am thinking of leaving it broke!

Sounds like you've got an old bell box, modern ones will cut off after
20mins. It might be worth changing the box or just the guts for
something more modern.

These aren't bad:
http://cpc.farnell.com/SR05455
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred writes:

Sounds like you've got an old bell box, modern ones will cut off after
20mins. It might be worth changing the box or just the guts for
something more modern.

These aren't bad:
http://cpc.farnell.com/SR05455

Yes, I've used those. They come with instructions to connect up
to about 4 or 5 different alarms. If yours isn't one of those,
you have to work out how to connect it up. I did the trial and
error testing with the sounder box in the living room buried
under all the cushions off the sofas!

CPC has them on special offer from time to time, although
probably only about a quid off.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Broadback writes:
[...]

Good Idea about not fitting the alarm until the system is fully tested.
Fitted my system in '92, works fine, but I really must make the effort
to fit the outside alarm, maybe next summer!

--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

try www.ukpanels.com/forum1

burglar alarm andrew UK diy 17 April 26th 09 09:03 AM
Burglar alarm Fred UK diy 4 January 21st 08 04:33 PM
Using my burglar alarm Jethro Home Repair 24 February 20th 07 04:52 PM
Burglar alarm Frenchy UK diy 9 September 15th 05 06:44 PM