Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roof ladder newbie

Hello -

I think some of the flashing around the chimney stack of my 2-storey house
is leaking - some water is getting into the loft during heavy rain.

So, I've bought one of these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16339/...94M-Open-6-64M,
and would appreciate any tips on how to use it. The roof ladder instructions
talk about using a conventional extension ladder to get up to the roof, but
I've also got a aluminum scaffold tower - I'd be better off using that
rather than the extension ladder wouldn't I?

Is it worthwhile attaching a rope to the top-end of the roof ladder,
chucking it over the roof, and tying it to some immoveable, or is that
excessive?

The roof tiles are some kind of grey concrete-ish type stuff, and seem
fairly strong. The roof ladder has rubber-coated bars that sit on the tiles.
Any tips on how to avoid breaking any tiles while I'm up there?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So, I've bought one of thesehttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/16339/Access-Storage/Roof-Ladders/Doubl...,
and would appreciate any tips on how to use it. The roof ladder instructions
talk about using a conventional extension ladder to get up to the roof, but
I've also got a aluminum scaffold tower - I'd be better off using that
rather than the extension ladder wouldn't I?

Is it worthwhile attaching a rope to the top-end of the roof ladder,
chucking it over the roof, and tying it to some immoveable, or is that
excessive?

The roof tiles are some kind of grey concrete-ish type stuff, and seem
fairly strong. The roof ladder has rubber-coated bars that sit on the tiles.
Any tips on how to avoid breaking any tiles while I'm up there?

Thanks.

When you’ve got the roof ladder over the ridge, take some tiles out at
the bottom of the roof next to the roof ladder and tie the roof ladder
and the extension ladder or tower to the roof. Tie the lot to a couple
of the tile lath. The type of roof ladder you have is very sceptical
for braking tiles especially if you stand on top of one of the support
bars. The other bad design is that you can’t place any tools on the
runs as they slide under the roof ladder and down the roof. You will
most likely have to put every thing in a bucket and wedge it between
the runs. If you use a tower put the ex ladder leaning towards the
roof not on the side of the tower and tie the lot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny OneSpanner wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't want to encourage any upset between yourself and your neighbours,
so it's your call. But, from what you have said about their lack of
acknowledgement of any problems, I'd just go right ahead and make good the
chimney without bothering to consult them and have the potential
confrontation regarding the chimney. All you are going to do is improve it,
so you're not harming anyone. Plus they have no idea what it's like up there
now, so how will they know you've made any changes anyway?

Go for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Aug, 08:36, "Johnny OneSpanner"
wrote:
Hello -

I think some of the flashing around the chimney stack of my 2-storey house
is leaking - some water is getting into the loft during heavy rain.

Same here, only happening during the recent and frequent thunderous
downpours, and I let a professional deal with it. We hope it was just
the loose mortar/rendering from the stack which he found wedged in the
flashing and which might have been blocking/diverting the drainage.
Will have to let it dry out and see if next thunderous downpour causes
recurrence. I can see from my window that next door neighbour has same
blockage in his flashing.

Toom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:

ps I now have a 1 piece 5.5 m roof ladder to store....!

Leave it on the roof....