Default Roof access - why buy a ladder?

After completing my addition, I now find that the only way to get on my
roof is to go purchase a 32' extension ladder (maybe). I may need to
go even more, but the fact that I ONLY need it to clean out a set of
gutters.

The fact that I have no trees around my house means that some other
objects usually are blocking the gutters. I have found tennis balls,
tennis shoes, newspapers, drink cans... did I mention I have children?

Anyway, considering the cost of a ladder that I am only going to use
twice a year at most, I have no reason to buy a 40' ladder. On the
other hand, it is a major PITA to go to "insert rental place here" to
get a ladder.

Has anyone just gone and installed an access hatch to the roof? I know
it means a hole in the roof, but properly installed, I cannot believe
it to be any worse than a power vent or skylight.

Comments?

John Keiser

I had a 2 story house [Altadena, CA] built in 1926. The flat central
portion of the roof would have been inaccessible as the sides were steep and
covered with barrel tile. The access hole never leaked while I lived there.
Might be more work/expense cutting in than just buying a ladder.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Has anyone just gone and installed an access hatch to the roof?

make sure you don't waste any money on safety lines, or the like.

just drink a few shots, then go out to the edge of your roof, then
start cleaning your gutters.

calhoun

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Have you ever worked at the edge of a roof? Not many people like to be
leaning over the edge of a roof. I install shingles and don't like to be
right on the edge. Also not good to walk on roof. It shortens the life of
the shingles.
Buy the ladder you will need it for other things like cleaning the siding,
gable vents, etc.

Ranieri

"calhoun" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yeah, if you need a 32 footer to access it, hanging over the edge is a
little harrowing. And it's going to get moreso as you get older. Look into
some gutter covers - questionable value for keeping out leaves, but should
work just dandy to shed tennis balls and shoes.

David Martel

C,

Since this is basically a gutter cleaning problem why not spend the money
on gutter guards?

Dave M.

I *like* you

Wise guys It's what I get for posting late at night. Although I am
learning toward the idea of tossing certain boys onto the roof, I think
getting the 40' ladder one last time, add the covers, and then my woes
should be *minimized*.

As far as leaning over the roof, I concede that it is starting to
bother me.

Thanks for the feedback... going to look for plans on a trebuchet.....

PipeDown

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My city has a "Lend a tool" program. All I have to do is show up at the
shed when it is open and prove my residence by flashing a water bill and
they will lend me ladders, lawn tools, saws etc for free.

Check your city hall website, you may have a program too.

Dr Doom

you must have been subconsciously recalling that old
Looney Tunes episode where Daffy Duck was a door to door
saleman pestering Porky Pig to purchase his wares.

One of which was some kind of retrofit onto Porky's
home, where he pressed a button, and the top level came
down like you describe.

Of course, after he pressed the button again, and the
top level returned to normal height, the lower level was
in a complete shambles (all crushed).

Now, for all you serious fans, there was another episode,
where Daffy was pestering his wares to a guy wanted by
the cops, and at the end of the episode, Daffy helped him
blow up his house (via a gas leak) - Daffy was about to open
the door - then BOOM !!!!! and he's yelling at the thug,
"hey bub ! I know what you need !! you need a house to go
with this door knob !!"

t-t-t-t-hat's all folks !

wrote in message
On 8 Aug 2005 20:25:05 -0700, wrote:
I hate to tell you this, but your house is too high. Worse yet, it
was constructed incorrectly. Your house should have been built to be
telescopic. When you want to clean the gutters, the upper floors
should overlap the lower floors and retract, leaving the gutters only
6 feet off the ground. After cleaning them, push a button and the
house goes back to normal height. I suggest you rebuild the house.

Mark

Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 2 August 23rd 04 09:11 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
shingle or metal roof? [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 30th 03 04:15 PM
flat gravel roof - how to repair adiel Home Repair 6 August 21st 03 02:53 PM
Fitting aerial on roof - how to get up there! David Aldridge UK diy 31 July 28th 03 07:35 PM