Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (Probably OT) Problems with Windows Media Player, Videolan etc.

Apologies to those who have read this elsewhere.

I have a problem playing DVDs on my XP PC, in that the video is fine,
but the sound is badly distorted - sort of sounds like someone with a
stutter, but at very high speed.

This arises using any player on my PC, and any DVD, whether shop bought
or home made. The problem does not occur when playing AUDIO_TS and
VIDEO_TS files on my hard drive, or when playing an iso file. The
problem only occurs after the files have been burned to DVD, but only on
my PC.

No problems playing avi files, mp3s or any other audio files. The DVDs
all play perfectly on other PCs and DVD players. Something is falling
apart when the files are burned to DVD, but what?

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

Apologies to those who have read this elsewhere.

I have a problem playing DVDs on my XP PC, in that the video is fine,
but the sound is badly distorted - sort of sounds like someone with a
stutter, but at very high speed.

This arises using any player on my PC, and any DVD, whether shop bought
or home made. The problem does not occur when playing AUDIO_TS and
VIDEO_TS files on my hard drive,

Check DMA mode is enabled for your DVD drive?
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/ide-dma.mspx

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
Graeme wrote:
Apologies to those who have read this elsewhere.
I have a problem playing DVDs on my XP PC, in that the video is
fine, but the sound is badly distorted - sort of sounds like someone
with a stutter, but at very high speed.
This arises using any player on my PC, and any DVD, whether shop
bought or home made. The problem does not occur when playing
AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files on my hard drive,

Check DMA mode is enabled for your DVD drive?
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/ide-dma.mspx

Just checked, and indeed it is, thanks.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Check DMA mode is enabled for your DVD drive?
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/ide-dma.mspx

Just checked, and indeed it is, thanks.

Does it have problems accessing ordinary data DVDs ?

DVD writers / players tend to have two different lasers for CD and DVD
- it's common for one to fail, but the other works normally.

It might be the first sign that the laser is on its' way out :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:07:15 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

Apologies to those who have read this elsewhere.

I have a problem playing DVDs on my XP PC, in that the video is fine,
but the sound is badly distorted - sort of sounds like someone with a
stutter, but at very high speed.

This arises using any player on my PC, and any DVD, whether shop bought
or home made. The problem does not occur when playing AUDIO_TS and
VIDEO_TS files on my hard drive, or when playing an iso file. The
problem only occurs after the files have been burned to DVD, but only on
my PC.

No problems playing avi files, mp3s or any other audio files. The DVDs
all play perfectly on other PCs and DVD players. Something is falling
apart when the files are burned to DVD, but what?

Go into Device Manager and remove all your CD/DVD devices. Reboot and
allow them to re-install.

Download and install the latest version of Xvid
http://www.xvid.org/

It's hard to imagine why the reader should cope with video but not
audio, from the same disk. But a replacement unit is cheap and easy
to install. Maybe you could borrow one from another computer to
check.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graeme
writes

Apologies to those who have read this elsewhere.

I have a problem playing DVDs on my XP PC, in that the video is fine,
but the sound is badly distorted - sort of sounds like someone with a
stutter, but at very high speed.

This arises using any player on my PC, and any DVD, whether shop bought
or home made. The problem does not occur when playing AUDIO_TS and
VIDEO_TS files on my hard drive, or when playing an iso file. The
problem only occurs after the files have been burned to DVD, but only
on my PC.

No problems playing avi files, mp3s or any other audio files. The DVDs
all play perfectly on other PCs and DVD players. Something is falling
apart when the files are burned to DVD, but what?

summat up with the DVD drive? could you try a different one?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Laurence Payne
writes
wrote:

No problems playing avi files, mp3s or any other audio files. The DVDs
all play perfectly on other PCs and DVD players. Something is falling
apart when the files are burned to DVD, but what?

Go into Device Manager and remove all your CD/DVD devices. Reboot and
allow them to re-install.

Download and install the latest version of Xvid
http://www.xvid.org/

Uninstalled and reinstalled. Installed Xvid. No difference.

It's hard to imagine why the reader should cope with video but not
audio, from the same disk.

Indeed. Same awful audio whether the DVD is home made, or shop bought.
DVDs made with the same drive on my PC play perfectly on other PCs or
DVD players, so I don't think it is a burning problem.

Playing a data DVD was suggested, so I inserted my wife's Oblivion DVD.
Didn't actually install the game, but played the intro music (.wav file)
from the DVD. Terrible audio. Copied the .wav file from the DVD to my
hard drive, and it played perfectly.

But a replacement unit is cheap and easy
to install. Maybe you could borrow one from another computer to
check.

Yes, I'm beginning to think that it must be the DVD drive itself, which
still burns perfectly, but will not read DVD audio.

Just been trying an ordinary, shop bought CD, through the same drive.
Playing through Windows Media Player 11, audio is not perfect, but
nothing like as bad as DVD audio. Same result using Videolan. Audio is
stuttering slightly.

Same CD played with Winamp sounds perfect. Curiouser and curiouser.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

Just been trying an ordinary, shop bought CD, through the same drive.
Playing through Windows Media Player 11, audio is not perfect, but
nothing like as bad as DVD audio. Same result using Videolan. Audio is
stuttering slightly.

Same CD played with Winamp sounds perfect. Curiouser and curiouser.

Which soundcard / sound chipset is this? Some DVD sound stuttering
problems on Google trace to Creative's products ...

In the midst of dim and distanct memory, I had that with an old PC
running ATI's DVD playing software, and a Creative live PCI card. The
diagnostics for the ATI software even contained a test on the stability
of the soundcard's clock generator - and winced about the Creative card
not quite being on target. I can't really remember what I did about it -
perhaps the issue disapeared with a change of sound card ...

Other things could be excessive bus activity between graphics, optical
drives, hard drive, sound card, network card etc. Try disabling the
network card and see if that makes a difference. Are chipset drivers for
the motherboard installed correctly (especially if not Intel)

Another thing that came up on google (read as: "I'm bored") was
processor affinity issues. If ye have a dual core rig, maybe setting the
DVD playing application to run with just one of the cores might fix it?
This can be done in task manager.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
Graeme wrote:

Just been trying an ordinary, shop bought CD, through the same drive.
Playing through Windows Media Player 11, audio is not perfect, but
nothing like as bad as DVD audio. Same result using Videolan. Audio
is stuttering slightly.
Same CD played with Winamp sounds perfect. Curiouser and curiouser.

Which soundcard / sound chipset is this? Some DVD sound stuttering
problems on Google trace to Creative's products ...

This is a cheapo Tesco Gateway sale item PC, running XP Media Edition,
and the Gateway site describes it as :

Audio Integrated

Interface: Azalia 8.1 channels
Model: Realtek ALC861

Video Integrated video

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/10...3818Rsp2.shtml

The only change I have made since purchase is the addition of memory,
from Crucial. The DVD audio just suddenly stopped working properly
(long after I added extra memory).

Interestingly, the net book saga involved the purchase of an external
DVD drive, with USB cable, for the net book. Just plugged it into my
PC, and DVDs play perfectly, which means that the fault is with my
internal DVD drive?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graeme
writes

Which soundcard / sound chipset is this? Some DVD sound stuttering
problems on Google trace to Creative's products ...

Update. Been to the Gateway site, and downloaded the latest drivers,
which have made no difference. DVDs play fine through the USB DVD
drive, but not the internal DVD drive.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Interestingly, the net book saga involved the purchase of an external
DVD drive, with USB cable, for the net book. Just plugged it into my
PC, and DVDs play perfectly, which means that the fault is with my
internal DVD drive?

....per my original reply, IIRC :-}