Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Offers on cement mixers?

I am about to start installing a new fence with concrete posts, followed by
a shed base.

Does anyone know of any good/special deals at the moment for cement mixers?

TIA

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/09 10:49, David WE Roberts wrote:

I am about to start installing a new fence with concrete posts, followed
by a shed base.

Does anyone know of any good/special deals at the moment for cement mixers?

Hire one, unless you want the shed to be half-full as soon as you've
finished building it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hire one, unless you want the shed to be half-full as soon as you've
finished building it.

Cement mixers are surprisingly cheap to hire, and I've never bought
one for the clutter reason.

But if it's going to be a slow job rather than getting it over in one
big bang, buying may be more economic.

For concrete, you need a reasonably substantial machine. The little
diy ones are ok for cement, but struggle with the larger (and
lumpier) batches you're likely to want with concrete.

Having tried various machines, the belle minimix is well worth what it
costs:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13174/...ete-Mixer-240V

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 24/08/09 10:49, David WE Roberts wrote:

I am about to start installing a new fence with concrete posts, followed
by a shed base.

Does anyone know of any good/special deals at the moment for cement
mixers?

Hire one, unless you want the shed to be half-full as soon as you've
finished building it.

That would have to be one big mixer :-)
[My mate Juan FG Bigshed is helping with the design.]

I am (obviously) costing between purchase and hire.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87701/...Concrete-Mixer

This is the cheapest I've seen so far; I am trawling for a used mixer but
not doing too well.

The project may drag over several weeks which could point towards buying,
however:

http://www.hss.com/g/42144/Concrete-...p-Up-110v.html

Subject to confirmation this will supply a 240V mixer for £10 a week up to
the 6th September.

Can't seee me beating that with a purchase!

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RubberBiker coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hire one, unless you want the shed to be half-full as soon as you've
finished building it.

Cement mixers are surprisingly cheap to hire, and I've never bought
one for the clutter reason.

But if it's going to be a slow job rather than getting it over in one
big bang, buying may be more economic.

For concrete, you need a reasonably substantial machine. The little
diy ones are ok for cement, but struggle with the larger (and
lumpier) batches you're likely to want with concrete.

Having tried various machines, the belle minimix is well worth what it
costs:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13174/...ete-Mixer-240V

The only way I considered buying one was a mate was offloading a high
capacity one (next size up from that Belle, mix a proper barrowload sort of
size) for 30 quid - and I had to collect.

Decent ones are expensive, especially for one job.

Mine has been a very useful ornament to have hanging around but mostly
because it was cheap, I don't care if it rots away outside and I have lots
of jobs which cannot be compressed into one time slice requiring the odd
1 - 13 barrowloads.

For one job, I would definately hire a decent sized mixer for a base.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 24/08/09 10:49, David WE Roberts wrote:

I am about to start installing a new fence with concrete posts, followed
by a shed base.

Does anyone know of any good/special deals at the moment for cement
mixers?

Hire one, unless you want the shed to be half-full as soon as you've
finished building it.

That would have to be one big mixer :-)
[My mate Juan FG Bigshed is helping with the design.]

I am (obviously) costing between purchase and hire.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87701/...Concrete-Mixer

This is the cheapest I've seen so far; I am trawling for a used mixer but
not doing too well.

The project may drag over several weeks which could point towards buying,
however:

http://www.hss.com/g/42144/Concrete-...p-Up-110v.html

Subject to confirmation this will supply a 240V mixer for £10 a week up to
the 6th September.

Can't seee me beating that with a purchase!

Cheers

Dave R

Have you thought about bedding the fenceposts in with dry mix (eg Postcrete)
and just hiring a massive mixer for 1 day for the shed base?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 24, 11:23*am, Tim S wrote:
David WE Roberts coughed up some electrons that declared:
I am (obviously) costing between purchase and hire.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87701/...ixers/Belle-Gr...

That yellow mixer is a bit of a toy mixer as you would be mixing a lot
of small loads. The next size up is the Belle Minimix (orange colour).
Screwfix sell it around £289 iirc. Machine Mart sell them for about
£250. I got one about 6 months ago from B&Q via their price match +10%
off the MM price. Very decent mixer and can mix about 11 shovels of
sand/2 cement in one go. You can spin the drum off to make storing it
easier and they should hold a decent second hand price.

dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Starling" wrote in message
On Aug 24, 11:23 am, Tim S wrote:
David WE Roberts coughed up some electrons that declared:
I am (obviously) costing between purchase and hire.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87701/...ixers/Belle-Gr...

That yellow mixer is a bit of a toy mixer as you would be mixing a lot
of small loads. The next size up is the Belle Minimix (orange colour).
Screwfix sell it around £289 iirc. Machine Mart sell them for about
£250. I got one about 6 months ago from B&Q via their price match +10%
off the MM price. Very decent mixer and can mix about 11 shovels of
sand/2 cement in one go. You can spin the drum off to make storing it
easier and they should hold a decent second hand price.

dave.

I got a Belle 150 mixer off ebay for about 170 notes. It was in very good
condition and has been "loaned out for a crate of beer" at least 10 times
since I owned it. It owes me nothing.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 24, 10:49 am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
Does anyone know of any good/special deals at the moment for cement mixers?

That reminds me - does anyone know of any special offers on replica
watches? ducks

Drill plaster mixers George UK diy 6 March 24th 07 01:44 PM
Monoblock Mixers. The Medway Handyman UK diy 1 March 15th 07 01:39 PM
Cement Mixers - Why have they always been ~ £200 ? . UK diy 20 February 10th 06 09:55 PM
cement mixers - help choosing needed! ceg UK diy 11 August 22nd 05 07:40 PM
Thermostatic shower mixers Paul Giverin UK diy 5 August 6th 05 05:08 PM