Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Offers on cement mixers?

RubberBiker coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hire one, unless you want the shed to be half-full as soon as you've
finished building it.

Cement mixers are surprisingly cheap to hire, and I've never bought
one for the clutter reason.

But if it's going to be a slow job rather than getting it over in one
big bang, buying may be more economic.

For concrete, you need a reasonably substantial machine. The little
diy ones are ok for cement, but struggle with the larger (and
lumpier) batches you're likely to want with concrete.

Having tried various machines, the belle minimix is well worth what it
costs:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13174/...ete-Mixer-240V

The only way I considered buying one was a mate was offloading a high
capacity one (next size up from that Belle, mix a proper barrowload sort of
size) for 30 quid - and I had to collect.

Decent ones are expensive, especially for one job.

Mine has been a very useful ornament to have hanging around but mostly
because it was cheap, I don't care if it rots away outside and I have lots
of jobs which cannot be compressed into one time slice requiring the odd
1 - 13 barrowloads.

For one job, I would definately hire a decent sized mixer for a base.

Cheers

Tim