Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default An exciting Lidl purchase

I was visiting my partner's parents today an MIL had just bought a shower
head from Lidl. Being a helpful soul I offered to fit it - easy bonus
points! After just a few minutes it was back in the box and I was left
wondering how many people will be calling the likes of TMH to replace their
electric showers or deal with the flood from the water tank.

The box proclaims "A relaxing shower experience with reduced water
consumption" and "Water saving function thanks to high pressure technology".
What that means is that there is a valve between the hose and the head which
allows the user to reduce or shut off the water during use *at the shower
head*.
Now in continental Europe where all water systems are high pressure hot and
cold that's probably fine but here in the UK where we have a nice mix
including high pressure cold with low pressure hot as well as heat-as-you-go
electric things will get interesting. And not a warning in sight.

A relaxing shower experience. Not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Calvin Sambrook" wrote in message
[...]

So you blew the pressure release on the electric shower? Tee Hee ! Tee Hee
! Tee Hee ! It's an easy repair, so don't worry to much about it.

You are correct though. These type items should tell you they are not
suitable for instant shower appliances, because they have an off position on
the head or hose. It is very easy to be caught out by them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
I was visiting my partner's parents today an MIL had just bought a
shower head from Lidl. Being a helpful soul I offered to fit it -
easy bonus points! After just a few minutes it was back in the box
and I was left wondering how many people will be calling the likes of
TMH to replace their electric showers or deal with the flood from the
water tank.

Thanks for the heads up.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Aug, 16:06, "Calvin Sambrook" wrote:
[...]

In similar vein, you remind me that I had a 'phone call a few weeks
ago from someone claiming to be from the govmint and offering a free
something to do with a shower (usual barely comprehensible accent).
Since you rarely get anything free from this direction I agreed to
accept it, whatever it was. It arrived last week and turns out to be
an "eage Showersmart" pressure reducer. You have to go through an
experiment involving a supplied plastic bag to catch 5 seconds' worth
of water to find out whether you have an "inefficient shower" and will
benefit from the device.

I haven't tested this or fitted it yet, but as I have high pressure
hot and low pressure cold, perhaps it won't work. The instructions
say: "Do not use the eage ShowerSmart with electric showers, showers
with multiple jets (where water comes out from more than one outlet)
or rainwater showers as it will not work with these systems. The
device can be used with power-shower systems which use mains fed hot
water." No mention of mixed pressure supplies.

If fitted, it will allegedly save 6,000 litres of water per person per
year, but not having a dirty/sweaty job and having been brought up in
the era of post-WW2 economies where a wash at the handbasin was
considered adequate for daily needs with a 3-inch-deep bath once a
week, I don't use that much anyway.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Aug, 18:08, Peter Parry wrote:
It is a greenwasher. *You have now officially saved a Friends of the
Sod certified 6,000 litres of (possibly organic) carbon water per
person per year and delayed global warming by 3.4 nanoseconds.

You've also kept a small child in employment and helped pollute a
Chinese river.

If you want more toys ...

Mmm thank you, I think all the rellies will be getting eco-christmas
presents this year!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

[...]

..

Fortunately not as I realised what would happen well before getting anywhere
near a shower. However I'm sure there are less bonus points available for
not causing a problem than for fitting it.
Not only that but the valve at the head is fairly subtle so if you don't
read the instructions and just fit it you may not even know about that
feature until some time later when someone twists the plastic bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Owain writes
On 22 Aug, 18:08, Peter Parry wrote:
It is a greenwasher. *You have now officially saved a Friends of the
Sod certified 6,000 litres of (possibly organic) carbon water per
person per year and delayed global warming by 3.4 nanoseconds.

You've also kept a small child in employment and helped pollute a
Chinese river.

If you want more toys ...

Mmm thank you, I think all the rellies will be getting eco-christmas
presents this year!

Do they do a gift wrapping service?
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Your incompetance is of no interest to anyone - apart from those who are
now laughing at you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting how a couple of people assume that I actually fitted the head.
'Fraid not, I'm far too lazy for that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:40:47 UTC, "Calvin Sambrook"
wrote:

"Clive" wrote in message

[...]

"Clive" is never interested in the facts - only in how best to insult
people.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:

Your incompetance is of no interest to anyone - apart from those who
are now laughing at you.

What a ****wit you are. Not only are you a nasty little ****, you can't
even read posts properly.

What part of "Fortunately not as I realised what would happen well before
getting anywhere
near a shower" didn't you understand **** for brains?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 220602 20090823 002229 "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Clive wrote:

Your incompetance is of no interest to anyone - apart from those who
are now laughing at you.

What a ****wit you are. Not only are you a nasty little ****, you can't
even read posts properly.

His spelling isn't so good either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes

What a ****wit you are.

Then why respond to him?

Trolls are just sad lonely people who crave attention.

If he posted his nonsense and it was simply ignored, how long do you
think he would stay here?
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , The
Medway Handyman writes

What a ****wit you are.

Then why respond to him?

Because the OP isn't a regular correspondent, but was never the less posting
something informative & useful. Such people should be encouraged to post -
not put off posting by nasty comments.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
fred wrote:
In article , The
Medway Handyman writes

What a ****wit you are.

Then why respond to him?

Because the OP isn't a regular correspondent, but was never the less posting
something informative & useful. Such people should be encouraged to post -
not put off posting by nasty comments.

He's posted 250 times in last six months and I'm sure he's a big enough
boy to spot and deal with a sad, lonely ******.

With respect, you are just adding to the noise and bypassing the kill
filters of those who know how to filter usenet.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
fred wrote:
In article , The
Medway Handyman writes

What a ****wit you are.

Then why respond to him?

Because the OP isn't a regular correspondent, but was never the less
posting
something informative & useful. Such people should be encouraged to
post -
not put off posting by nasty comments.

He's posted 250 times in last six months and I'm sure he's a big enough
boy to spot and deal with a sad, lonely ******.

With respect, you are just adding to the noise and bypassing the kill
filters of those who know how to filter usenet.
--
fred

Thanks for everyone's concern over my wellbeing. I assure you I'm big
enough and ugly enough to simply ignore the sad ones who live on the
internet.

As I've been posting to usenet since the mid-1980's I've had much worse than
that in the past too - just shrug and ignore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 18:08:59 +0100, Peter Parry wrote:

If you want more toys go to :
https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers

Obviously the offer will be extended - you have to have someone over 70 but
their DOB (year dropdown) goes up to 2998...

--
Geo