Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bladders in water pumps

Hi, My bladdered water pump has a problem. I found that there was water
both sides of the bladder in the holding tank. Yet I cannot find a split
(which is what I was expecting to find) or even a hole in the bladder.

I have filled it with water and stood it on dry concrete for half an
hour but there was no leak. Can these bladders just leak under pressure,
please?

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howard Neil wrote:

Hi, My bladdered water pump has a problem. I found that there was water
both sides of the bladder in the holding tank. Yet I cannot find a split
(which is what I was expecting to find) or even a hole in the bladder.

I have filled it with water and stood it on dry concrete for half an
hour but there was no leak. Can these bladders just leak under pressure,
please?

Not know what the hell a bladdered water pump was I turned to google.
The first one I looked at here
http://www.envcoglobal.com/catalog/p...mple-pump.html
was a bladderless bladder pump
Might help?

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howard Neil wrote:

Hi, My bladdered water pump has a problem. I found that there was water
both sides of the bladder in the holding tank.

It sounds as if it's bladdered.

I'll get me coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Howard Neil wrote:

Hi, My bladdered water pump has a problem. I found that there was water
both sides of the bladder in the holding tank.

It sounds as if it's bladdered.

I'll get me coat.

I realised the double entendre having posted. No need to get your coat. :-)

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Howard Neil wrote:

Hi, My bladdered water pump has a problem. I found that there was
water both sides of the bladder in the holding tank. Yet I cannot find
a split (which is what I was expecting to find) or even a hole in the
bladder.

I have filled it with water and stood it on dry concrete for half an
hour but there was no leak. Can these bladders just leak under
pressure, please?

Not know what the hell a bladdered water pump was I turned to google.
The first one I looked at here
http://www.envcoglobal.com/catalog/p...mple-pump.html

was a bladderless bladder pump
Might help?

This is a picture of a similar pump.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...trifugal-pumps

I really suspect that there is a weakness that only appears when it is
under pressure (at which time it cannot be seen). I will ring the main
agents tomorrow and hopefully they will be able to help.

--
Howard Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howard Neil wrote:
Hi, My bladdered water pump has a problem. I found that there was
water both sides of the bladder in the holding tank. Yet I cannot
find a split (which is what I was expecting to find) or even a hole
in the bladder.
I have filled it with water and stood it on dry concrete for half an
hour but there was no leak. Can these bladders just leak under
pressure, please?

Its not a bladdered pump, its a bladder in the pressure accumulator. The
bladder simply keeps the water under pressure when the pump is off demand.

Sounds like a pressure leak to me.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Howard Neil wrote:
Hi, My bladdered water pump has a problem. I found that there was
water both sides of the bladder in the holding tank. Yet I cannot
find a split (which is what I was expecting to find) or even a hole
in the bladder.
I have filled it with water and stood it on dry concrete for half an
hour but there was no leak. Can these bladders just leak under
pressure, please?

Its not a bladdered pump, its a bladder in the pressure accumulator. The
bladder simply keeps the water under pressure when the pump is off demand.

Sounds like a pressure leak to me.

Thank you for the correction. It was difficult for me to describe it,
particularly as different manufactures describe their tanks differently.

Yes, it's definitely a pressure leak. However, how does the water get
from one side of the bladder to the other without going through it? Yet
I can find no sign of a hole. I have ruled out osmosis as otherwise a
similar effect would have been noticed in other bladders. My only
thought is that there is a hole that only appears when the bladder is
under tension and I hoped there would be someone on uk.d-i-y who could
confirm or deny this possibility.

Still, only half an hour now and I should be able to speak to the main
agents.

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howard Neil wrote:

Yes, it's definitely a pressure leak. However, how does the water get
from one side of the bladder to the other without going through it? Yet
I can find no sign of a hole. I have ruled out osmosis as otherwise a
similar effect would have been noticed in other bladders. My only
thought is that there is a hole that only appears when the bladder is
under tension and I hoped there would be someone on uk.d-i-y who could
confirm or deny this possibility.

Still, only half an hour now and I should be able to speak to the main
agents.

I have now spoken to the main agents and they have been most helpful.
They agree that it is probably a small hole in the bladder that only
leaks under pressure. The engineer I spoke to has known this once before
(so, not a common occurrence). They are only £12.87 so not an expensive
repair but they will have to order one from Italy and Italy are all on
holiday during August.

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 17 Aug, 11:57, Howard Neil wrote:
Howard Neil wrote:
[...]

Can you plse describe any symptoms that led you to investigate the
pump in the first place? and how did you actually find that water was
on both sides of the bladder thing?

we have a similar device which is acting a little odd - (very much
quicker to come in and out than it used to be...)

thanks
JimK

grey water pumps franz fripplfrappl Home Repair 1 July 9th 08 05:25 PM
Dirty water pumps? Broadback UK diy 2 April 22nd 07 10:42 PM
Are bladders replacable Edwin Pawlowski Home Repair 5 March 8th 07 04:26 AM
Water butt pumps Chris Styles UK diy 11 December 12th 06 03:15 PM
Instant Hot Water pumps chuckster Home Repair 0 October 14th 06 04:26 PM