Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Demolition ooops

Obviously roofing grade concrete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZU4bfxrKw

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Aug, 17:51, Adam Aglionby wrote:
Obviously roofing grade concrete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZU4bfxrKw

Flour mill. They're always difficult to demolish, as they're so
strongly constructed. Must be one of the few buildings where you could
tip it on its side without it immediately self-dismantling under
gravity.

One does wonder though just WTF the demolition engineer thought he was
doing with such asymmetry though?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
On 4 Aug, 17:51, Adam Aglionby wrote:
Obviously roofing grade concrete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZU4bfxrKw

Flour mill. They're always difficult to demolish, as they're so
strongly constructed. Must be one of the few buildings where you could
tip it on its side without it immediately self-dismantling under
gravity.

One does wonder though just WTF the demolition engineer thought he was
doing with such asymmetry though?

I was searching for one I recall in London -- think it was this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsePUn5-88c
Next morning, full page ads in many of the daily papers, with a
super cool bloke standing in the foreground smoking a cigar, with
the half demolished leaning building in the background, and the slogan
"Happyness is a cigar called Hamlet". You had to admire the speed
that Hamlet and their advertising agency got that into print.

Hamlet produced some wonderful adverts in their day, such as:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYMID5qCdE

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
Andy Dingley writes:
[...]

Thank you. I'd forgotten about both of those.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clot
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
Andy Dingley writes:
[...]

Leonard rossiter and the cinzano ad anyone ?

--
bumsnase

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Clot
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
Andy Dingley writes:
[...]

You b%gg$r. I almost sprayed the monitor with a red alcoholic liquid from
S.A.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
Andy Dingley writes:
[...]

Until Nanny decided she knew best & banned the advertising.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff writes:
In message , Clot
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I was searching for one I recall in London -- think it was this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsePUn5-88c
Next morning, full page ads in many of the daily papers, with a
super cool bloke standing in the foreground smoking a cigar, with
the half demolished leaning building in the background, and the slogan
"Happyness is a cigar called Hamlet". You had to admire the speed
that Hamlet and their advertising agency got that into print.

Hamlet produced some wonderful adverts in their day, such as:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYMID5qCdE

Thank you. I'd forgotten about both of those.

If you've got 10 minutes to spare, someone's put them all together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIckHmwZAeI&NR=1

Leonard rossiter and the cinzano ad anyone ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirMZGL-0mQ&NR=1
They are fantastic. Same advertising agency.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
geoff writes:
In message , Clot
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I was searching for one I recall in London -- think it was this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsePUn5-88c
Next morning, full page ads in many of the daily papers, with a
super cool bloke standing in the foreground smoking a cigar, with
the half demolished leaning building in the background, and the
slogan "Happyness is a cigar called Hamlet". You had to admire the
speed that Hamlet and their advertising agency got that into print.

Hamlet produced some wonderful adverts in their day, such as:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYMID5qCdE

Thank you. I'd forgotten about both of those.

If you've got 10 minutes to spare, someone's put them all together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIckHmwZAeI&NR=1

Leonard rossiter and the cinzano ad anyone ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirMZGL-0mQ&NR=1
They are fantastic. Same advertising agency.

As you say, they are fantastic. My favourites at the moment are the
"Comparethemeerkat.com" ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article
,
Andy Dingley writes:
[...]

I have only been to one demolition. That also did not go as planned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7582637.stm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQQoTGaBFV8

It was well worth going to see.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 4 Aug, 17:51, Adam Aglionby wrote:
Obviously roofing grade concrete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZU4bfxrKw

Flour mill. They're always difficult to demolish, as they're so
strongly constructed. Must be one of the few buildings where you could
tip it on its side without it immediately self-dismantling under
gravity.

Just out of interest, why are flour mills so strongly constructed?
Presumably all that strength costs money and isn't done without good reason.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-05, Tim Downie wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 4 Aug, 17:51, Adam Aglionby wrote:
Obviously roofing grade concrete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZU4bfxrKw

Flour mill. They're always difficult to demolish, as they're so
strongly constructed. Must be one of the few buildings where you
could tip it on its side without it immediately self-dismantling
under gravity.

Just out of interest, why are flour mills so strongly constructed?
Presumably all that strength costs money and isn't done without good
reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_dust_explosion

On Mythbusters they created some pretty impresive fireballs using sawdust
and flour in an air-cannon, but non-dairy-creamer was even better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 09:04:36 +0000, Huge wrote:
Just out of interest, why are flour mills so strongly constructed?
Presumably all that strength costs money and isn't done without good reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_dust_explosion

Yes, I know someone with a grain store out here in the US - the
construction's interesting; very strong frame and walls, but the roof is
obviously designed as a weak point so that any explosion will be diverted
upwards. (I've seen similar intentional weak points inside places that
handle explosives - but I suspect a lot of folk don't realise that grain
dust in a confined space can be quite potent)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_dust_explosion

On Mythbusters they created some pretty impresive fireballs using sawdust
and flour in an air-cannon, but non-dairy-creamer was even better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

Mmm. Non-dairy creamer :-)

I had a job once restocking vending machines, and scoffing spoons of
that when one was looking. They may have noticed my weight ballooning
though...

Are vending machines designed sufficiently to contain / avoid powder
related explosions?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 07:32:06 -0500, Jules wrote:

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 09:04:36 +0000, Huge wrote:
Just out of interest, why are flour mills so strongly constructed?
Presumably all that strength costs money and isn't done without good reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_dust_explosion

Yes, I know someone with a grain store out here in the US - the
construction's interesting; very strong frame and walls, but the roof is
obviously designed as a weak point so that any explosion will be diverted
upwards. (I've seen similar intentional weak points inside places that
handle explosives - but I suspect a lot of folk don't realise that grain
dust in a confined space can be quite potent)

and coal dust - don't need firelighters.

I was forced in to asking a manufacturer a daft question about fine dust:
we were looking at using a substance that was about 5nm, so finer than
flour etc. The elfinsafty bods demanded and answer on risk of explosion.
In vain I tried to explain that fumed silica had done the burning bit and
its bigger form was in buckets around the factory specially for putting out
fires.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05 Aug 2009 00:05:59 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you've got 10 minutes to spare, someone's put them all together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIckHmwZAeI&NR=1

Wonderful stuff. Is the 1968 - Launderette one where Levis got their
idea from?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On 05 Aug 2009 00:05:59 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you've got 10 minutes to spare, someone's put them all together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIckHmwZAeI&NR=1

Wonderful stuff. Is the 1968 - Launderette one where Levis got their
idea from?

Ah, this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4DR_ae_4o

Same thought went through my mind. It's a different agency,
but London was the world leader in advertising during this
period (and that's one of the most successful ads ever,
both as intended for Levi's, and unintended for boxers:-).

I didn't recall the 1968 Hamlet advert -- was living in the
US then. Strangely, I did recall the 1966 music teacher one,
which must have been shown later on too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-05, Tim Downie wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 4 Aug, 17:51, Adam Aglionby wrote:
Obviously roofing grade concrete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZU4bfxrKw

Flour mill. They're always difficult to demolish, as they're so
strongly constructed. Must be one of the few buildings where you could
tip it on its side without it immediately self-dismantling under
gravity.

Just out of interest, why are flour mills so strongly constructed?
Presumably all that strength costs money and isn't done without good reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_dust_explosion

Belated thanks for that! It got me reading about the Washburn mill
explosion, which was somewhat on local turf - and I happened to be down in
St. Paul for the last few days, so hopped over to Minneapolis and took a
wander around the mill museum which is on the Washburn site now.

Fantastic museum, anyway - and they do a nice little demo of a dust
explosion using a model mill, 'dust' (I suspect it was regular houshold
flour), and an ignition source.

One interesting snippet of info was that a lot of these big explosions
aren't caused just by dust naturally circulating in the air. That often
only creates a small fire / flash, but results in caked dust being
dislodged from equiment, vents etc. - and it's that which provides the
fuel for the main event (hence such sites not only have to be kept free of
dust in the air, but equipment has to be constantly cleaned to avoid any
build-up of material)

cheers

Jules

Ooops soup[_2_] UK diy 13 November 2nd 07 07:03 PM
OOOPS!!! Gunner Metalworking 9 March 21st 06 06:50 AM
big OOOPS hex Woodworking 10 March 19th 05 03:37 AM
ooops Mike Woodworking 12 February 4th 05 10:28 PM
Ooops jim rozen Metalworking 10 November 29th 03 12:28 AM