Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Snagging lists and what to expect from builder

Wonder if anyone could offer some advice or experiences they may have
had regarding snagging.

Basically we have bought a house which is just over 1 year old, I
guess the previous owner done some form of snag but doubt they were
that bothered since were moving.

I thought we would not have a leg to stand on with any issues but I
read somewhere that the builder is responsible for 2 years....is this
the case?

Also what sort of things are normally brought up and what are you
expected to deal with yourself.

Few things, I can think of, squint guttering along with a small
section that is only held on with one clip so is not ding the job and
will probably fly off when the weather comes in.

Light not working in hall, it's downlighters and not the bulb, also
another downlighter came out in my hand when went to change a
bulb...leaving the plaster in a state as it was obviously a botch
fitting as the rest are ok.

Some large cracks around windows and doors, not sure whats classed as
acceptable, quite a lot of flaking paint, mainly the coving throughout
the house.

Quite a lot of popped nail/screw marks on walls/ceiling.

A kitchen door that is hinged in a way that is makes it unusable, even
for someone like myself over 6ft, it doesn;t open fully as it hits the
extractor, it would have made sense to fit it the other way.

Main bathroom door is hard work to get locked, en suite lock is coming
away in hand, shower fittings a bit wonky.

Some doors close ok but don't actually catch properly, some dont catch
at all.

Any advice appreciated as I've never bought a new/nearly new home
before.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gogs gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I thought we would not have a leg to stand on with any issues but I read
somewhere that the builder is responsible for 2 years....is this the
case?

AIUI, it depends. If it's not got an NHBC guarantee, then you're on your
own. If it has, then there's a 10 year guarantee period.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Homeowners/Hom...entialHousing/
Buildmarkwarranty/

From their FAQ -

"Does Buildmark cover me against all faults and defects?

Buildmark is not a complete guarantee against all defects.

Buildmark is an insurance policy which covers you against specified risks
which could be very expensive to put right. It does not provide cover for
general wear and tear, condensation, normal shrinkage, damage arising
from failure to maintain the property, or minor faults which first appear
after the second year.

For full details you should read your copy of the Buildmark booklet which
specifies the cover provided. The Buildmark booklet belongs to you so
make sure you ask your solicitor for this document.

When you move in, you should also receive NHBC's 'Guide to your new home'
from your builder. It contains useful information about 'running in' your
new home. The 'Guide to your new home' pdf is available here."
http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCPublicatio...ratureLibrary/
HomeownerDocuments/filedownload,15900,en.pdf

"What if I sell my home before the ten years expire?

If you sell your home while Buildmark is still in force, the benefit of
the balance of the cover automatically transfers to the new owners.

You should pass all Buildmark documents to the new owner."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 4, 11:42*am, Adrian wrote:
Gogs

or minor faults which first appear after the second year

------------------------

Yes its NHBC, as we were not the first owners we never got any
paperwork, however I asked about this and was told it usually stays
with the deeds.

As we are still within 2 years I was wondering whats classed as a
valid complaint as such and is it usually just a case of calling up
the builder and saying pop round and sort it all out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian writes:
Gogs gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I thought we would not have a leg to stand on with any issues but I read
somewhere that the builder is responsible for 2 years....is this the
case?

AIUI, it depends. If it's not got an NHBC guarantee, then you're on your
own. If it has, then there's a 10 year guarantee period.

My solicitor said an NHBC guarantee is not worth the paper
it's written on.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gogs" wrote in message

Quite a lot of popped nail/screw marks on walls/ceiling.

Main bathroom door is hard work to get locked, en suite lock is coming
away in hand, shower fittings a bit wonky.

Some doors close ok but don't actually catch properly, some dont catch
at all.

if he's this bad, are you sure you want him back?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 4, 12:53*pm, "Vass" wrote:
"Gogs" wrote in message

Quite a lot of popped nail/screw marks on walls/ceiling.

Main bathroom door is hard work to get locked, en suite lock is coming
away in hand, shower fittings a bit wonky.

Some doors close ok but don't actually catch properly, some dont catch
at all.

if he's this bad, are you sure you want him back?
--
Vass

I believe you get the popped nail/screw marks anyway but they usually
come back and tidy it up, seems they have been here before but missed
a good few or they appeared when they left.

I certainly want them back to do the guttering, the list does not seem
to bad on the face of it given by what I have read on the internet of
some other peoples experiences.

Guess a lot of builders the same, time is money so a lot of it is rush
rush.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 07:22:34 -0700 (PDT), Gogs
wrote:

Main bathroom door is hard work to get locked, en suite lock is coming
away in hand, shower fittings a bit wonky.

Some doors close ok but don't actually catch properly, some dont catch
at all.

if he's this bad, are you sure you want him back?
--
Vass

I believe you get the popped nail/screw marks anyway but they usually
come back and tidy it up, seems they have been here before but missed
a good few or they appeared when they left.

I certainly want them back to do the guttering, the list does not seem
to bad on the face of it given by what I have read on the internet of
some other peoples experiences.

Guess a lot of builders the same, time is money so a lot of it is rush
rush.

And doing the job right is the almost hardest part of the job, the
hardest being correcting a mess and then getting it right.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gogs wrote:
Wonder if anyone could offer some advice or experiences they may have
had regarding snagging.

I love it :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman