Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

ChrisDoc

Default Snagging Checklist

I'm going to be moving into a new house soon and I've been advised to
do a snagging checklist.
Has anyone got a good one of these that they can email me?

Many thanks

Chris

ameijers

"ChrisDoc" wrote in message
I'm going to be moving into a new house soon and I've been advised to
do a snagging checklist.
Has anyone got a good one of these that they can email me?

???? Never heard the term 'snagging' applied to a walkthrough inspection to
create a punch list. 'Punch' as in, when the repair guy works the list, as
he gets each item done, he checks or punches the edge of the list. Not sure
where term originates.

But anyway- it ain't rocket science. Just spend 10-15 minutes in each room,
try every outlet (with one of those automatic testers), every light, every
faucet, every appliance, every window, etc, and write down everything that
doesn't work, or acts funny. Then using mark I eyeball, and a strong
flashlight, look at every seam, every bit of trim, etc, for anything that
looks 'wrong'. I find a folding chair helps- just sit and stare till stuff
jumps out at you. Don't let them pressure you into a quickie walkthrough
with somebody holding your elbow- they will steer you right past any
problems. You want at least an hour by yourself in there to take notes.
Anything you can't tell if it is working properly (like a furnace), pay for
an expert to give their opinion.

aem sends...

Kendall P. Bullen

In article ,
"ChrisDoc" wrote:

I'm going to be moving into a new house soon and I've been advised to
do a snagging checklist.

A what? I read the reply that talked about a walk-through, but the
things mentioned sounded more like the kind of stuff for [part of] a
home inspection, so I'm curious...'ChrisDoc', what is a 'snagging'
checklist?

Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!
ChrisDoc

"Kendall P. Bullen" wrote in message
In article ,
"ChrisDoc" wrote:

I'm going to be moving into a new house soon and I've been advised

do a snagging checklist.

A what? I read the reply that talked about a walk-through, but the
things mentioned sounded more like the kind of stuff for [part of] a
home inspection, so I'm curious...'ChrisDoc', what is a 'snagging'
checklist?

Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen

http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

A snagging checklist is exactly what was described, it is UK
terminology for a new home to be checked by the owner to make sure
everything has been built properly and works properly. It is a list of
items to check.

But being a complete idiot, a full list of things to check would be
nice. Things that mates have said to me are checking to make sure
underneath patio doors have been grouted/cemented in properly, all
taps work, electrical sockets work and have been fitted properly etc.

Chris

Kendall P. Bullen

In article ,
"ChrisDoc" wrote:

But being a complete idiot, a full list of things to check would be
nice. Things that mates have said to me are checking to make sure
underneath patio doors have been grouted/cemented in properly, all
taps work, electrical sockets work and have been fitted properly etc.

Thanks for explaining what a snagging checklist is.

So in the U.K., it isn't normal to hire a professional to do a complete
home inspection?

Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!

ChrisDoc

"ChrisDoc" wrote:

But being a complete idiot, a full list of things to check would

be
nice. Things that mates have said to me are checking to make sure
underneath patio doors have been grouted/cemented in properly, all
taps work, electrical sockets work and have been fitted properly

etc.

Thanks for explaining what a snagging checklist is.

So in the U.K., it isn't normal to hire a professional to do a

complete
home inspection?

Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen

http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

No, it's not normal but it is possible, but the cost of this house
(fees & mortgage) is going to cripple me financially, so if I can save
some money by checking the house myself I will. It would cost around
$800 for a snag to be done professionally.

Chris

Kendall P. Bullen

In article ,
"ChrisDoc" wrote:

No, it's not normal but it is possible, but the cost of this house
(fees & mortgage) is going to cripple me financially, so if I can save
some money by checking the house myself I will. It would cost around
$800 for a snag to be done professionally.

Thanks for the info. That's a lot of money for an inspection.

Cheers,
Kendall