Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CD Player nearly dead?

I have a Sony music centre (Mini - radio, twin cassette / CD. Quite good
but maybe 15 years old). The CD seemed to have stopped working - it
displayed "No Disc" and made a clicking noise.

Last night I put a cleaning CD in it and - behold it started to play it.
However, on some CDs it still doesn't recognise them and play them - just
the clicking (lens hitting the CD as it tries to focus??). All the CDs are
original ones (not PC made). I recall from some years ago when I took it
apart to fix a Cassette problem that it is a pain to get to the CD - they
are so cheap now that I am wondering if I am likely to be able to improve
it - or has it got a terminal illness (weak laser or something?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 19, 10:09 pm, "John" wrote:
I have a Sony music centre (Mini - radio, twin cassette / CD. Quite good
but maybe 15 years old). The CD seemed to have stopped working - it
displayed "No Disc" and made a clicking noise.

If you are able to remove the cover to get to see the lens, look at it
with a strong magnifying glass. There is possibly dust on it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
news
I have a Sony music centre (Mini - radio, twin cassette / CD. Quite good
but maybe 15 years old). The CD seemed to have stopped working - it
displayed "No Disc" and made a clicking noise.

Last night I put a cleaning CD in it and - behold it started to play it.
However, on some CDs it still doesn't recognise them and play them - just
the clicking (lens hitting the CD as it tries to focus??). All the CDs are
original ones (not PC made). I recall from some years ago when I took it
apart to fix a Cassette problem that it is a pain to get to the CD - they
are so cheap now that I am wondering if I am likely to be able to improve
it - or has it got a terminal illness (weak laser or something?)

I am afraid its much more likely that the laser output has deteriorated down
below the minimum threshold required. They become tired and like all devices
their emissions drop.You can replace the laser (not easy to get to) but
after 15 years lets face it, it owes you nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigGirlsBlouse wrote:
below the minimum threshold required. They become tired and like all devices
their emissions drop.You can replace the laser (not easy to get to) but
after 15 years lets face it, it owes you nothing.

You have it backwards: such sterling service means the CD player
deserves only the best of treatment and repair.

Not that I've fixed my old CBM777 portable cd player, which also
managed about 15 years.

#Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 12:58:43 UTC, dave wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:58:43 +0100, "BigGirlsBlouse"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
news
[...]

Replaceing the laser is a very trick job. The replacement (if you can
get one) is sometimes crimped in place. It's not a real option imho.

Slightly drifting the thread. I was given a Playstation/2 on FreeCycle
which turned out to have a weak laser. I successfully replaced the laser
and it's now as good as new.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
BigGirlsBlouse wrote:
below the minimum threshold required. They become tired and like all
devices
their emissions drop.You can replace the laser (not easy to get to) but
after 15 years lets face it, it owes you nothing.

You have it backwards: such sterling service means the CD player
deserves only the best of treatment and repair.

Not that I've fixed my old CBM777 portable cd player, which also
managed about 15 years.

#Paul

Thanks for the advice - I have taken the covers off - wound the head to an
accessible position and used my camera cleaning kit to clean the lens.
Alas - still only playing some and jumping a bit so I guess it is getting
weak and will have to go in the bin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Last night I put a cleaning CD in it and - behold it started to play
it. However, on some CDs it still doesn't recognise them and play them
- just the clicking (lens hitting the CD as it tries to focus??).

The LASER LED is nearly dead. The clicking is the focus server hitting it's
endstops trying to 'see' something recognisable.

It is possible to replace the LASER, but usually bloody tricky. I've
generally given up after an hour or so of each that I've tried to replace.

I think the claening disc is a red herring. I've never, ever, known one do
any good whatsoever. Nice quick profit for someone though (cheap disk,
little brush, looks like magic, doesn't work).

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Al wrote:

I think the claening disc is a red herring. I've never, ever, known one do
any good whatsoever. Nice quick profit for someone though (cheap disk,
little brush, looks like magic, doesn't work).

Al.

Yep, about all they could do is clean the lens which rarely gets that
dirty anyway. But I suppose it makes some people feel better that at
least they have *tried* something before throwing it out

In the types of pickup which have them, cleaning the mirror sometimes
works for a while - when you can get to it at least
I have a Sony "MHC" type unit which needs the mirror cleaned every so
often, but that has IMO a design flaw in that the CD unit is on the top
and the pickup positioned right under a ventilation slot....

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
Al wrote:

I think the claening disc is a red herring. I've never, ever, known one
do any good whatsoever. Nice quick profit for someone though (cheap disk,
little brush, looks like magic, doesn't work).

Al.

Yep, about all they could do is clean the lens which rarely gets that
dirty anyway. But I suppose it makes some people feel better that at least
they have *tried* something before throwing it out

In the types of pickup which have them, cleaning the mirror sometimes
works for a while - when you can get to it at least
I have a Sony "MHC" type unit which needs the mirror cleaned every so
often, but that has IMO a design flaw in that the CD unit is on the top
and the pickup positioned right under a ventilation slot....

Lee

That is what mine is MHC-1500. Not seen the mirror. Where is it? I guess the
laser points horizontally and then turns 90deg with the mirror. Would like
to try it before binning it. My CD unit is at the bottom, Then 2 tape decks
then the tuner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
Al wrote:

I think the claening disc is a red herring. I've never, ever, known one
do any good whatsoever. Nice quick profit for someone though (cheap disk,
little brush, looks like magic, doesn't work).

Al.

Yep, about all they could do is clean the lens which rarely gets that
dirty anyway. But I suppose it makes some people feel better that at least
they have *tried* something before throwing it out

In the types of pickup which have them, cleaning the mirror sometimes
works for a while - when you can get to it at least
I have a Sony "MHC" type unit which needs the mirror cleaned every so
often, but that has IMO a design flaw in that the CD unit is on the top
and the pickup positioned right under a ventilation slot....

Lee

Found the manual - not much use though

http://j.mdownload1.free.fr/Schemas/Sony/HCD-H5.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:27:01 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
Slightly drifting the thread. I was given a Playstation/2 on FreeCycle
which turned out to have a weak laser. I successfully replaced the laser
and it's now as good as new.

I think there's a reasonable market for replacement playstation-2 lasers,
though - I remember looking a year or so ago and there were quite a few
places offering replacements (for reasonable amounts of money too).
Finding a laser for "15 year old random unit" might be a bit more tricky.

(my Philips LV-ROM is getting on for 25 years old now and still running
happily, but then I suppose the size of the laser is an order of
magnitude bigger than a CD; maybe the larger size allowed for engineering
that would make 'em last longer)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
Al wrote:

I think the claening disc is a red herring. I've never, ever, known one
do any good whatsoever. Nice quick profit for someone though (cheap
disk, little brush, looks like magic, doesn't work).

Al.

Yep, about all they could do is clean the lens which rarely gets that
dirty anyway. But I suppose it makes some people feel better that at
least they have *tried* something before throwing it out

In the types of pickup which have them, cleaning the mirror sometimes
works for a while - when you can get to it at least
I have a Sony "MHC" type unit which needs the mirror cleaned every so
often, but that has IMO a design flaw in that the CD unit is on the top
and the pickup positioned right under a ventilation slot....

Lee

Found the manual - not much use though

http://j.mdownload1.free.fr/Schemas/Sony/HCD-H5.pdf

Beautifully made bit of kit - however, I feel that the bin is beckoning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Found the manual - not much use though

http://j.mdownload1.free.fr/Schemas/Sony/HCD-H5.pdf

Beautifully made bit of kit - however, I feel that the bin is beckoning.

Please don't. I agree with Paul in this thread.

"You have it backwards: such sterling service means the CD player
deserves only the best of treatment and repair."

A replacement laser is about £15
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/127-cd-op...a-kss240a.html

An all-in replacement job shouldn't top £50 including labour. It's also
not out out of the realms of DIY, given that googling KSS240A brings
back stories of non-service trade folks that have done this.

However, if inclined to go this way have a read of
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm including the safety and static
warnings and diagnosis procedure (before ordering the laser module). I'd
get a tech to sort it if it were me.

What can you buy today for £50 that is built as well, and has tape decks?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jul 2009 11:24:15 GMT, Huge had this
to say:

On 2009-07-20, Adrian C wrote:

What can you buy today for £50 that is built as well, and has tape decks?

Why would you want tape decks?

To record/play tapes?

:-)
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
John wrote:
[...]

Encouraging - thanks for taking the time to identify the model. I am going
to try and remove the laser head to evaluate a DIY job.

Any tips (whilst I gather my tools).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Adrian C" wrote in message
John wrote:
[...]

Got it out - struggled a bit as it needed to go downwards and I thought it
would come out the top.

Just hope I haven't damaged anything with static.