Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default CD Player nearly dead?

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 12:58:43 UTC, dave wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:58:43 +0100, "BigGirlsBlouse"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
news
I have a Sony music centre (Mini - radio, twin cassette / CD. Quite good
but maybe 15 years old). The CD seemed to have stopped working - it
displayed "No Disc" and made a clicking noise.

Last night I put a cleaning CD in it and - behold it started to play it.
However, on some CDs it still doesn't recognise them and play them - just
the clicking (lens hitting the CD as it tries to focus??). All the CDs are
original ones (not PC made). I recall from some years ago when I took it
apart to fix a Cassette problem that it is a pain to get to the CD - they
are so cheap now that I am wondering if I am likely to be able to improve
it - or has it got a terminal illness (weak laser or something?)

I am afraid its much more likely that the laser output has deteriorated down
below the minimum threshold required. They become tired and like all devices
their emissions drop.You can replace the laser (not easy to get to) but
after 15 years lets face it, it owes you nothing.

Replaceing the laser is a very trick job. The replacement (if you can
get one) is sometimes crimped in place. It's not a real option imho.

Slightly drifting the thread. I was given a Playstation/2 on FreeCycle
which turned out to have a weak laser. I successfully replaced the laser
and it's now as good as new.

http://www.diybanter.com