Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default CD Player nearly dead?

"Adrian C" wrote in message
John wrote:
Found the manual - not much use though

http://j.mdownload1.free.fr/Schemas/Sony/HCD-H5.pdf

Beautifully made bit of kit - however, I feel that the bin is beckoning.

Please don't. I agree with Paul in this thread.

"You have it backwards: such sterling service means the CD player
deserves only the best of treatment and repair."

A replacement laser is about £15
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/127-cd-op...a-kss240a.html

An all-in replacement job shouldn't top £50 including labour. It's also
not out out of the realms of DIY, given that googling KSS240A brings back
stories of non-service trade folks that have done this.

However, if inclined to go this way have a read of
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm including the safety and static
warnings and diagnosis procedure (before ordering the laser module). I'd
get a tech to sort it if it were me.

What can you buy today for £50 that is built as well, and has tape decks?

--
Adrian C

Encouraging - thanks for taking the time to identify the model. I am going
to try and remove the laser head to evaluate a DIY job.

Any tips (whilst I gather my tools).