Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic storage boxes for my new van?

Hi folks,
I have loads of boxes of screws that I need to store in my van.
What do you think about using these plastic storage boxes that fit on
a metal louvered panel in a van? Are they likley to fall off if I
drive over a pothole?
Can you take a middle box out without having to remove one above it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Housemartin wrote:
I have loads of boxes of screws that I need to store in my van.
What do you think about using these plastic storage boxes that fit on
a metal louvered panel in a van? Are they likley to fall off if I
drive over a pothole?

No

Can you take a middle box out without having to remove one above it?

Yes.

Avoid cheap ones - they break too easily.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 03:00:29 -0700 (PDT), Housemartin
wrote:

I have loads of boxes of screws that I need to store in my van.
What do you think about using these plastic storage boxes that fit on
a metal louvered panel in a van? Are they likley to fall off if I
drive over a pothole?

Not usually, but the contents are prone to bouncing out especially if
you fill them with small items like screws.

Can you take a middle box out without having to remove one above it?

Depends on how close together you fit them. They are not really
designed for individual boxes to be removed - more for the required
number of items to be taken out of the box on the rack.

You can often get the mounting plates and containers at low prices
second hand from warehouse fitting companies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Housemartin wrote:
Hi folks,
I have loads of boxes of screws that I need to store in my van.
What do you think about using these plastic storage boxes that fit on
a metal louvered panel in a van? Are they likley to fall off if I
drive over a pothole?

That was my experience, plus stuff bouncing out as Peter said, plus anything
in the van not strapped down knocks them off.

Can you take a middle box out without having to remove one above it?

You can if you have a big enough gap.

I ended up with three of these which are stored upright
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/97196/...l-Organiser-XL -
the cheaper ones don't have removeable boxes and the lid clips arent as
strong.

Strong enough to keep plumbing fittings in, which weigh quite a lot.

You can sometimes find the Stanley ones badged as Wickes & a bit cheaper.

I've also got a couple of these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96295/...ews-Trade-Case -
if you buy them often the case is cheaper - as long as you use all the
screws.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk