Charlie

Default OT - Carboard Board Storage Boxes misadvertised

I've been searching for some cardboard boxes for moving and came across
http://www.box-it-in.co.uk who are advertising "Flat-pack Boxes/cartons
from only .19p".

On closer inspection I see that they are selling 200 boxes for =A338,
which works out at 19p per box. I presume they meant to advertise
"Flat-pack Boxes/cartons from only =A30.19".

Is there any chance of holding them to the .19p price advertised?

I agree is sloppy marketing but I think it's actually quite misleading
marketing (it was the only reason I followed a link from
http://tinyurl.com/68ezy ) As a result should I feel I have the right
to take them to the cleaners and enforce the advertised price?

Any thoughts welcome.

Charlie

Rob Morley

In article . com,
"Charlie" says...
I've been searching for some cardboard boxes for moving and came across
http://www.box-it-in.co.uk who are advertising "Flat-pack Boxes/cartons
from only .19p".

On closer inspection I see that they are selling 200 boxes for =A338,
which works out at 19p per box. I presume they meant to advertise
"Flat-pack Boxes/cartons from only =A30.19".

Is there any chance of holding them to the .19p price advertised?

I agree is sloppy marketing but I think it's actually quite misleading
marketing (it was the only reason I followed a link from
http://tinyurl.com/68ezy ) As a result should I feel I have the right
to take them to the cleaners and enforce the advertised price?

Any thoughts welcome.

You do appear to have a shortage in the thinking department, but I
don't think my thoughts would fit in the available space.
Grunff

Charlie wrote:
I've been searching for some cardboard boxes for moving and came across
http://www.box-it-in.co.uk who are advertising "Flat-pack Boxes/cartons
from only .19p".

On closer inspection I see that they are selling 200 boxes for £38,
which works out at 19p per box. I presume they meant to advertise
"Flat-pack Boxes/cartons from only £0.19".

Is there any chance of holding them to the .19p price advertised?

I agree is sloppy marketing but I think it's actually quite misleading
marketing (it was the only reason I followed a link from
http://tinyurl.com/68ezy ) As a result should I feel I have the right
to take them to the cleaners and enforce the advertised price?

Any thoughts welcome.

Really, get a life.

--
Grunff
Bob Eager

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:44:19 UTC, "Charlie"
wrote:

I agree is sloppy marketing but I think it's actually quite misleading
marketing (it was the only reason I followed a link from
http://tinyurl.com/68ezy ) As a result should I feel I have the right
to take them to the cleaners and enforce the advertised price?

How stupid (and grasping).

Apart from anything else, it's merely an 'offer to treat'. They can
always refuse to deal with you. If they accept the order at that price,
that's different. But I doubt very much that it would ever happen.

There is also the 'reasonable man' defence. No one with an appreciable
amount of brain cells would believe that a reasonable price - so it is
not misleading.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Chris Bacon

Charlie wrote:
Is there any chance of holding them to the .19p price advertised?

No. I am surprised that anyone with a streak of honesty would even
contemplate such an idea.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Charlie wrote:

Is there any chance of holding them to the .19p price advertised?

Yeh what you going to do?
You really are a propper one aren't you.

I can just hear the conversation

propper 1 - " I must insist you sell me some boxes at .19p"

manager - "No Sir it's 19p or £0.19"

propper 1 - "No no, I INSIST you WILL sell me the boxes at £0.0019"

manager - (realising the stupidity of the customer)
"That's a terrible shame, we had a huge run on the £0.0019 boxes they
have now gone out of stock - However we do have some at £0.19p if you
wish to buy £38 worth"

propper 1 - But But But But....

manager - now go home there's a good chap.
muttering
Bloddy care in the community - mumble mumble"
/muttering

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Charlie

On 8 Apr 2005 06:44:19 -0700, "Charlie"
wrote:

Any thoughts welcome.

Charlie

Oh don't be so silly.

(the other) Charlie

Michael Chare

"Charlie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any thoughts welcome.

Petrol is normally advertised at a price per litre. Normally you can't just buy
1 litre.

--

Michael Chare

nightjar

"Charlie" wrote in message
ups.com...
I agree is sloppy marketing but I think it's actually quite misleading
marketing (it was the only reason I followed a link from
http://tinyurl.com/68ezy ) As a result should I feel I have the right
to take them to the cleaners and enforce the advertised price?...

Case law is against you. Someone actually tried to hold a supplier to a
price on a web site that a little thought could show was obviously an error
and lost.

Colin Bignell

Owain

Charlie wrote:
I've been searching for some cardboard boxes for moving and came across
http://www.box-it-in.co.uk who are advertising "Flat-pack Boxes/cartons
from only .19p".
On closer inspection I see that they are selling 200 boxes for £38,
which works out at 19p per box. I presume they meant to advertise
"Flat-pack Boxes/cartons from only £0.19".

Perhaps if you buy 2,000,000,000 very small boxes they will discount the
price to 0.19p each.

Is there any chance of holding them to the .19p price advertised?

No. It's error in the substance of the contract, and any contract
entered into would be void.

I agree is sloppy marketing but I think it's actually quite misleading
marketing (it was the only reason I followed a link from
http://tinyurl.com/68ezy ) As a result should I feel I have the right
to take them to the cleaners and enforce the advertised price?

The law does not allow people to take others to the cleaners.

If you feel it is a false or misleading price indication you could
report them to trading standards. If you feel it's misleading
advertising report to ASA.

It might be more profitable to you to offer to proof-read their website
in exchange for some free boxes.

Owain

Bob Eager

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 23:27:28 UTC, Owain
wrote:

If you feel it is a false or misleading price indication you could
report them to trading standards. If you feel it's misleading
advertising report to ASA.

I suggest he sues them. That'll teach him!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Owain

Bob Eager wrote:
I suggest he sues them. That'll teach him!

Oh. Yes. :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cosmeticbargains

Rob Morley ha scritto nel messaggio

In article . com,
"Charlie" says...
I've been searching for some cardboard boxes for moving and came across
http://www.box-it-in.co.uk who are advertising "Flat-pack Boxes/cartons
from only .19p".

On closer inspection I see that they are selling 200 boxes for =A338,
which works out at 19p per box. I presume they meant to advertise
"Flat-pack Boxes/cartons from only =A30.19".

Is there any chance of holding them to the .19p price advertised?

I agree is sloppy marketing but I think it's actually quite misleading
marketing (it was the only reason I followed a link from
http://tinyurl.com/68ezy ) As a result should I feel I have the right
to take them to the cleaners and enforce the advertised price?

Any thoughts welcome.

You do appear to have a shortage in the thinking department, but I
don't think my thoughts would fit in the available space.

But they say 'from'.19p - and thats what they are - from means just that, and
they are selling a pack with them for that price. As its a trade packaging
site, its unlikely they sell them in 1's... Sorry, Can't see your problem
with this ad, its perfectly in order from what I can see. Remember it is a
sale ad, and therefore they are trying to pull customers to be fair to them so
they are not going togive their highest price of say 50 at 25p when they sell
200 for .19p each are they??

Beitrag via Excite Newsgroups gepostet.
http://www.excite.de/newsgroup

Posted to uk.d-i-y
[...]

yes, i agree... They are from .19p each so where's your argument ???

Beitrag via Excite Newsgroups gepostet.
http://www.excite.de/newsgroup

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:10:50 UTC, "cosmeticbargains"
wrote:

[...]

Aren't you missing the point? They show no quantity where you can buy
them for .19p each (that's less than a fifth of a penny). The cheapest
price appears to be 100 times that - 19 pence each.

I still think the OP is on a hiding to nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Bob Eager
writes

Is there any chance of holding them to the .19p price advertised?

I agree is sloppy marketing but I think it's actually quite misleading
marketing (it was the only reason I followed a link from
http://tinyurl.com/68ezy ) As a result should I feel I have the right
to take them to the cleaners and enforce the advertised price?

Any thoughts welcome.

You do appear to have a shortage in the thinking department, but I
don't think my thoughts would fit in the available space.

But they say 'from'.19p - and thats what they are - from means just that, and
they are selling a pack with them for that price.

Aren't you missing the point? They show no quantity where you can buy
them for .19p each (that's less than a fifth of a penny). The cheapest
price appears to be 100 times that - 19 pence each.

I still think the OP is on a hiding to nothing.

"229x152x152mm Boxes (9x6x6) x 200 £50.00"

which is 25p / box

To put it into perspective -

I pay under 10 pence for these boxes @ 500 off

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

On 6 Feb 2006 22:09:52 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Aren't you missing the point? They show no quantity where you can buy
them for .19p each (that's less than a fifth of a penny). The cheapest
price appears to be 100 times that - 19 pence each.

No, because it's obvious to the average person that the advert means
nineteen pence.

sponix

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Ian White
writes
raden wrote:

"229x152x152mm Boxes (9x6x6) x 200 £50.00"

which is 25p / box

To put it into perspective -

I pay under 10 pence for these boxes @ 500 off

From?

All Purpose Packaging
Aspect One
Gunnels Wood Road
Stevenage
SG12DG

01438 777000

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White

raden wrote:
In message , Ian White
writes
raden wrote:

"229x152x152mm Boxes (9x6x6) x 200 £50.00"

which is 25p / box

To put it into perspective -

I pay under 10 pence for these boxes @ 500 off

From?