Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

James Nipper

Default Storage Boxes Similar to old Rubbermaid -- where buy ?

Up until about two years ago, Rubbermaid made large folding lid storage
boxes ( maybe around 40-50 gallon?) that were real handy for storage
of things around the house. They also made various sizes of smaller
boxes, with slip-on tops.

The products made by Rubbermaid now are extremely flimsy, very thin plastic
that literally bends almost in half when you pick it up. Most of these
boxes made now are almost useless for heavy storage, and if left out in the
cold, will crack in the winter.

Does anyone know where I could find **similar** boxes today? Or, is there
a "list" somewhere where I could find someone who may have some of these
older, studier Rubbermaid boxes around not being used, that they would sell
?? Where would I find such a source? I have often wondered if there was
a sort of "ebay in reverse", where you could list what you are LOOKING for
(instead of things for sale).

If anyone can answer some of these questions, I would apppreciate it very
much !!

Thank YOu !!

--James--

Art

I have 2 tan Rubbermaid trash cans that I bought 24 years ago for the
kitchen and basement. Still work great but about 15 years ago my wife
wanted a white one. That one lasted about 4 years. The next generation
about 2 years and now the ones you buy suck brand new. These are the kind
that you step on to lift the lid. The plastic mechanism is so thin they are
useless. We are both out of luck.

"James Nipper" wrote in message

[...]

Mike72903

check an industrial supply outfit like grainger.com or similar.
James Nipper

hmmmmmmmm good idea on Grainger........thanks..

--James--

SQLit

[...]

I bought some at Costco a couple of years ago. Used for storage of tools in
my company van. They survived the move well and I am happy with them. They
had a folding lock green top, not expensive at all.
Thank YOu !!

--James--

James Nipper

thanks for the tip about Costco.

--James--

Dan Hartung

James Nipper wrote:
[...]

You could look for Sterilite products. I know people that use these for
*everything*, from back hall to patio to garage to van. (Of course,
everything is properly labeled too -- don't you hate them?)
http://www.sterilite.com/Section.html?Section=Storage

I know Rubbermaid still makes durable patio and garage storage bins and
cabinets. It may be there just wasn't a market for the general storage
stuff you're talking about -- I know when I buy that sort of thing it's
usually looking for the cheapest around! (Hard to justify when an old
wine box can do almost as good a job, except it's ugly.) Maybe to be
competitive they had to come out with a line of lower-quality cheap
utility bins and some major retailers don't carry the tough stuff
anymore. Look around for Rubbermaid "Rough" and "Durabull" products, or
look at some of the commercial suppliers.

Hve you called them? Newell Rubbermaid is considered a top-flight
company by Wall Street, envied for its quality programs and overall
management, and impressive repurposing of plastics for equipment that
used to be metal or wood (e.g. utility carts).