Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default which speedy joist hangers

I have to fit joists onto a ledger plate bolted to the wall. Masonry
hangers into the wall is not an option as the mortar courses are not
level so would be a total pain. Ledger plate and joists are all 75mm x
225mm. What type of speedy joist hanger to use ?
There are types (maxi-speedy ?) that just nail to the side of the
timber, or ones (long-leg ?) which are wrapped over the top
(presumably recessed into the back of the ledger plate so the rear
surface is still flat against the wall).
I guess wrapped over is stronger. If wrapped over, how "square" should
you try and get them against the timber ?
Just nailing to the front seems easier, but is the result less
strong ?
I realise square twist nails should be used.
Cheers,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
I have to fit joists onto a ledger plate bolted to the wall. Masonry
hangers into the wall is not an option as the mortar courses are not
level so would be a total pain. Ledger plate and joists are all 75mm x
225mm. What type of speedy joist hanger to use ?
There are types (maxi-speedy ?) that just nail to the side of the
timber, or ones (long-leg ?) which are wrapped over the top
(presumably recessed into the back of the ledger plate so the rear
surface is still flat against the wall).
I guess wrapped over is stronger. If wrapped over, how "square" should
you try and get them against the timber ?
Just nailing to the front seems easier, but is the result less
strong ?
I realise square twist nails should be used.
Cheers,
Simon.

You could consider cutting slots in your masonry for the build-in
hangers where necessary or if there is room, use a combination of
notching the joist end and fitting a packing piece under the joist end
to take up the variation which presumably is not more than the height of
one brick course ~75mm
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
I have to fit joists onto a ledger plate bolted to the wall. Masonry
hangers into the wall is not an option as the mortar courses are not
level so would be a total pain. Ledger plate and joists are all 75mm x
225mm. What type of speedy joist hanger to use ?
There are types (maxi-speedy ?) that just nail to the side of the
timber, or ones (long-leg ?) which are wrapped over the top
(presumably recessed into the back of the ledger plate so the rear
surface is still flat against the wall).
I guess wrapped over is stronger. If wrapped over, how "square" should
you try and get them against the timber ?
Just nailing to the front seems easier, but is the result less
strong ?
I realise square twist nails should be used.
Cheers,
Simon.

This post isn't very clear.
'nail to the side of the timber' - which timber? - the joist or the
wallplate?
'recessed into the back of the ledger plate'?
'nailing into the front' - which is the front? and the front of what?

I've done a diagram of how it's normally done:
http://tinypic.com/r/1zoj48h/3
--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 July, 14:36, "Phil L" wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Nail to the side of the wallplate
'recessed into the back of the ledger plate'?

'nailing into the front' - which is the front? and the front of what?

I've done a diagram of how it's normally done:http://tinypic.com/r/1zoj48h/3
--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 July, 15:32, Simon wrote:
On 17 July, 14:36, "Phil L" wrote:

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Sorry, posted before I'd finished.
Anyway I'll have a look at the diagram when I get home.
Thanks,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I used masonry-face fixing joist hangers, rather than a wall plate.
Four 10mm fixings (multimontis) per hanger. Used a 4-hole jig, slid
along a temporary batten to ensure accurate placement of hangers. With
modern tools and fixings it's both quick, and results in the loads
spread over many more points in the masonry. Only downside is the cost
of that many masonry fixings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
I have to fit joists onto a ledger plate bolted to the wall. Masonry
hangers into the wall is not an option as the mortar courses are not
level so would be a total pain. Ledger plate and joists are all 75mm x
225mm. What type of speedy joist hanger to use ?
There are types (maxi-speedy ?) that just nail to the side of the
timber, or ones (long-leg ?) which are wrapped over the top
(presumably recessed into the back of the ledger plate so the rear
surface is still flat against the wall).

You can bolt Maxi Speedys to the ledger plate. I've used these to do so
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/22717/...mm-Pack-of-100

Magnetic hex nut driver in a cordless makes it a quick job.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 July, 17:57, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I have to fit joists onto a ledger plate bolted to the wall. Masonry
hangers into the wall is not an option as the mortar courses are not
level so would be a total pain. Ledger plate and joists are all 75mm x
225mm. *What type of speedy joist hanger to use ?
There are types (maxi-speedy ?) that just nail to the side of the
timber, or ones (long-leg ?) which are wrapped over the top
(presumably recessed into the back of the ledger plate so the rear
surface is still flat against the wall).

You can bolt Maxi Speedys to the ledger plate. *I've used these to do sohttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/22717/Bolts/Turbo-Coach-Screws/Turbo-Co...

Magnetic hex nut driver in a cordless makes it a quick job.

Thanks, other thing, I was wondering whether to use 50mm thick ledger
plate or 75mm.
Anyone know what is usually used ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 July, 14:36, "Phil L" wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Thanks Phil.
About wrapping the hanger around the back and fixing. This will mean
the wall plate cannot
go flat against the wall, since at the back the hanger is standing
proud of the wall plate.
So I guess you could recess the metal into the back of the wall plate
so it is all flush ?
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon wrote:
On 17 July, 14:36, "Phil L" wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

The metal used to make these things is less than 1mm thick, so no, it
doesn't ned recessing.

You don't *have* to fix to the back of the wallplate, just if it's possible,
if it's not then it's no big deal

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I have to fit joists onto a ledger plate bolted to the wall. Masonry
hangers into the wall is not an option as the mortar courses are not
level so would be a total pain. Ledger plate and joists are all
75mm x 225mm. What type of speedy joist hanger to use ?
There are types (maxi-speedy ?) that just nail to the side of the
timber, or ones (long-leg ?) which are wrapped over the top
(presumably recessed into the back of the ledger plate so the rear
surface is still flat against the wall).

You can bolt Maxi Speedys to the ledger plate. I've used these to do
sohttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/22717/Bolts/Turbo-Coach-Screws/Turbo-Co...

Magnetic hex nut driver in a cordless makes it a quick job.

Thanks, other thing, I was wondering whether to use 50mm thick ledger
plate or 75mm.
Anyone know what is usually used ?
Simon.

I've never seen one thicker than 50mm

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 18 July, 09:39, Simon wrote:
///

Thanks, other thing, I was wondering whether to use 50mm thick ledger
plate or 75mm.
Anyone know what is usually used ?

How long is this wall plate and what load is it supporting? How many
joists are butting onto the wall plate?

Problem that has to be solved is similar to designing joists to
support a floor.

I may be misunderstanding something about the requirement here, but in
general I am sceptical that just willy-nilly putting up a wall plate
and fixing n joists to it via thin metal
joist 'hangers' will stand the test of time.

For starters, thin style hangers are used to hold joists into notches
in the wall plate. Otherwise joist hangers made from thick (c.3mm)
steel plate should be used.

The method of fixing the wall plate, distance between bolts, and size
of bolts needs determining based on the load to be carried.

Whether 50mm or 75mm, or some other size is needed depends on these
considerations. As does the depth of the wall plate.

HTH

joist hangers on top course sm_jamieson UK diy 1 June 8th 09 11:25 AM
100 x 50 joist hangers Andrew Mawson UK diy 3 August 22nd 08 03:50 PM
Joist Hangers VisionSet UK diy 0 September 24th 06 11:25 PM
Joist Hangers [email protected] UK diy 2 April 10th 06 12:02 AM
Roof joist hangers [email protected] UK diy 3 December 13th 05 08:49 PM