Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning Water Dispenser on Fridge.

Hi,

I've got a fridge with a water dispenser which hasn't been used for quite a
while, not I've gone on a bit of a health kick, I thought I'd start using it
again.
However, whenever it's used the water is full of particles/floating things!
I guess the pipes need cleaning as they'd been standing for a couple of
years, all plumbed in just not used.
I've tried running loads of water through, this has made it better, but not
to a standard I'd actually drink!

The ice maker has been in use continuously, and that is fine, I filled a
glass with ice and let it evaporate, no nasties were seen!

So, any thoughts on how to get the pipes clean?

Cheers

Mat

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mat C" saying
something like:

So, any thoughts on how to get the pipes clean?

Test tube cleaners or similar - you know the type of thing, bristles
twisted on a wire, available in all sorts of flexibility.
If the pipework is too twisty, can you disconnect it and fill it with a
solution of sodium hydroxide /borax / bleach?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mat C" saying
something like:

So, any thoughts on how to get the pipes clean?

Test tube cleaners or similar - you know the type of thing, bristles
twisted on a wire, available in all sorts of flexibility.
If the pipework is too twisty, can you disconnect it and fill it with a
solution of sodium hydroxide /borax / bleach?

When I had a boat the fresh water tank tended to get gunged up, I found
bicarb a good solution (pun unintended. Mind you there were no
convoluted pipes to worry about, just one about 22mm diameter.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Owain" wrote in message
On 15 July, 11:54, "Mat C" wrote:
I've got a fridge with a water dispenser which hasn't been used for quite
while, not I've gone on a bit of a health kick, I thought I'd start using
it
again.
However, whenever it's used the water is full of particles/floating
things!
So, any thoughts on how to get the pipes clean?

Denture cleaning tablets?

Owain

When the children were little we had a bottle of Milton's (1% Sodium
Hypochlorate), and we used a dilute solution of it for many years after for
cleaning and desmellifying bottles, flasks,food containers and the like.

Owen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OG" wrote in message

"Owain" wrote in message
On 15 July, 11:54, "Mat C" wrote:
I've got a fridge with a water dispenser which hasn't been used for
quite a
while, not I've gone on a bit of a health kick, I thought I'd start
using it
again.
However, whenever it's used the water is full of particles/floating
things!
So, any thoughts on how to get the pipes clean?

Denture cleaning tablets?

Owain

When the children were little we had a bottle of Milton's (1% Sodium
Hypochlorate), and we used a dilute solution of it for many years after
for cleaning and desmellifying bottles, flasks,food containers and the
like.

Owen

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the trick I think is going to be getting
the cleaning stuff down the tube. There's a decent length of piping leading
to the outlet, which goes around in a large loop a number of times at the
back of the fridge, to cool the water. The only way I can thing to get this
stuff in would be with a syringe.. Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Mat

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 16 July, 09:23, "Mat C" wrote:
"OG" wrote in message

"Owain" wrote in message
On 15 July, 11:54, "Mat C" wrote:
[...]

I'd second Owen's Milton suggestion - It's the recommended way of
cleaning things like camelbak water bladders. Of course, if it's
scale-type stuff, you might be better off with something acid like
vinegar - maybe each of them in turn would do a job. Whatever you
use, if you fill the reservoir, then run enough through, won't it fill
the tubes/loops so it can be left there for a bit to do its job?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
On 16 July, 09:23, "Mat C" wrote:

I'd second Owen's Milton suggestion - It's the recommended way of
cleaning things like camelbak water bladders. Of course, if it's
scale-type stuff, you might be better off with something acid like
vinegar - maybe each of them in turn would do a job. Whatever you
use, if you fill the reservoir, then run enough through, won't it fill
the tubes/loops so it can be left there for a bit to do its job?

I think it's a plumbed in fridge. No reservoir.

Tim