Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fridge/Freezer manufacturers - best of?

Okay, time to bite the bullet, think I'm going to have to buy a new
integrated fridge OR 50/50 fridge/freezer combo.

Main criteria is that the temperature is displayed or the unit at
least has a warning light or alarm if the temp gets too high.

So which manufacturers are the ones to go for and the ones to avoid?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:56:18 GMT,

Oh, and I don't want to spend more than £300 on a fridge either, so I
guess that eliminates Miele and Liebherr.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 14, 2:56*pm, (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Okay, time to bite the bullet, think I'm going to have to buy a new
integrated fridge OR 50/50 fridge/freezer combo.

Main criteria is that the temperature is displayed or the unit at
least has a warning light or alarm if the temp gets too high.

So which manufacturers are the ones to go for and the ones to avoid?

Thanks

Last time this was asked I think the concensus was that all makes are
reliable if you stay away from the frost frees. One thing to look out
for is replaceable door seals, I gather not all are now.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 14, 2:56*pm, (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Okay, time to bite the bullet, think I'm going to have to buy a new
integrated fridge OR 50/50 fridge/freezer combo.

Main criteria is that the temperature is displayed or the unit at
least has a warning light or alarm if the temp gets too high.

So which manufacturers are the ones to go for and the ones to avoid?

For what it's worth, our Bosch frost-free fridge freezer has been
problem free for thirteen years and has temp display/alarm.

Wouldn't go back to a non-frost free model despite other people's
dislike of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Jul 14, 2:56 pm, (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Okay, time to bite the bullet, think I'm going to have to buy a new
integrated fridge OR 50/50 fridge/freezer combo.

Main criteria is that the temperature is displayed or the unit at
least has a warning light or alarm if the temp gets too high.

So which manufacturers are the ones to go for and the ones to avoid?

Thanks

Last time this was asked I think the concensus was that all makes are
reliable if you stay away from the frost frees. One thing to look out
for is replaceable door seals, I gather not all are now.

Can you imagine asking the average fridge sales droid that question? They
wouldn't know what a door seal was, let alone if it was replaceable.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:56:18 +0000, jamma-plusser wrote:

So which manufacturers are the ones to go for and the ones to avoid?

I'm on my third Hotpoint FFFF* - go figure

* or in their parlance FFFFF: "_Fully_ Frost Free Fridge Freezer" i.e. a
regular Planet Earth-type FFFF which is actually FF in both Fridge and
Freezer compartments: Hotpoint's marketing droids seemed to think it was a
pretty neat idea to label their FF-Freezer/normal-fridge units "Frost Free
Fridge-Freezer"

--
John Stumbles

This sig intentionally left blank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote on Jul 15, 2009:

On 14 July, 14:56, (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Okay, time to bite the bullet, think I'm going to have to buy a new
integrated fridge OR 50/50 fridge/freezer combo.
Main criteria is that the temperature is displayed or the unit at
least has a warning light or alarm if the temp gets too high.
So which manufacturers are the ones to go for and the ones to avoid?

Any fridge you like, and a £10? digital thermometer from Maplin or the
like with an external sensor inside the fridge

I use two of these; one for the fridge, one for the freezer:

http://www.etiltd.co.uk/fridge_freez...r_max_min.html

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ma rk wrote on Jul 15, 2009:

... and avoid frost free freezers.

What is supposed to be the problem with these? I've had a Hoover F/F
fridge-freezer since 2002 and it's still working normally. I used to find
defrosting a freezer indoors a really tedious chore that I'm glad not to have
to do any more

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Mike Lane writes:
Ma rk wrote on Jul 15, 2009:

... and avoid frost free freezers.

What is supposed to be the problem with these?

Reliability of basic sealed refrigeration systems is astonishingly
high, and has been for decades. Reliability of the extra frost-free
components can't get even close, so it's the frost-free parts which
limit the reliability of frost free freezers.

I've had a Hoover F/F
fridge-freezer since 2002 and it's still working normally. I used to find

7 years, and just one appliance, really doesn't mean anything.

defrosting a freezer indoors a really tedious chore that I'm glad not to have
to do any more

I've had a non-frost free freezer for 9 years now, and never yet
needed to defrost it (although I probably will have to in next
couple of years).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 12:16*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article . com,
* * * * Mike Lane writes:

Ma rk wrote on Jul 15, 2009:

... and avoid frost free freezers.

What is supposed to be the problem with these?

Reliability of basic sealed refrigeration systems is astonishingly
high, and has been for decades. Reliability of the extra frost-free
components can't get even close, so it's the frost-free parts which
limit the reliability of frost free freezers.

AIUI there are 3 reliability problems with FF FFs.
1. Failure of inherently limited life parts, namely fans
2. greater complication and lower reliability of control systems leads
to many failures too
3. Design compromises mean that deicing sometimes fails, resulting in
ice clogging, causing failure to cool.

In some respects FF FFs are certainly better, but failure is a real
issue in practice, and I'm not convinced they're a great choice
because of this.

I've had a Hoover F/F
fridge-freezer since 2002 and it's still working normally. I used to find

7 years, and just one appliance, really doesn't mean anything.

no quite

defrosting a freezer indoors a really tedious chore that I'm glad not to have
to do any more

I've had a non-frost free freezer for 9 years now, and never yet
needed to defrost it (although I probably will have to in next
couple of years).

And dont forget that its a mistake to assume frost frees dont need
defrosting. If the door gets left ajar or the defrost heater fails,
both of which happen, it will then need a defrost tog et working
again.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:22:33 +0100, Mike Lane
wrote:

Thanks good people, perhaps I'll try and track down a 'bargain
basement' Miele fridge or fridge/freezer ................ do any
online retailers do good deals on them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:27:22 -0700 (PDT), Owain
wrote:

Hmmm, that's a pain, all the Miele integrated fridges are too big for
my allocated space ............ now looking at the Baumatic BR16.3A
which gets a high user rating here and WILL fit:

http://www.reevoo.com/reviews/mpn/baumatic/bau_br16_3a

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 05:09:38 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

On Jul 15, 12:16*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article . com,
* * * * Mike Lane writes:

Ma rk wrote on Jul 15, 2009:

[...]

If the fan, controller, or defrost heater fails it will need
defrosting far more frequently than a non frost-free freezer.
Typically a matter of a few weeks IME.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hmmm, that's a pain, all the Miele integrated fridges are too big for
my allocated space ............ now looking at the Baumatic BR16.3A
which gets a high user rating here and WILL fit:

http://www.reevoo.com/reviews/mpn/baumatic/bau_br16_3a

I'd think this is one appliance where brand really doesnt matter.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Jul 15, 12:16 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article . com,
Mike Lane writes:

Ma rk wrote on Jul 15, 2009:

[...]

I thought I once read that there are only about 4 manufacturers of domestic
fridge compressors in the world.

I found it easy to replace a FF FF defrost timer - once I realised what I
needed. Only £7.95