Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Over and Under

I'm planning to revise the home laundry, presently divided between
a Bathroom (Washing machine in a cupboard) and the Garage (Tumble Dryer
making my machines rust).

There area several feasible ways of doing this, but one that I'm
considering is to stack them. A proper stacking pair is expensive. I'm
thinking of making a shelf for the dryer over the washer ( in a
cupboard, but not in the bathroom! ). Clearly it will need to be
quite strong, but tumble dryers are not exceptionally heavy and the
joist-span will only be 700mm - both the walls and the cupboard back
will be new stud walls.

Can anyone see and 'gotchas' in this idea? Anyone done it?

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TheOldFellow
writes
I'm planning to revise the home laundry, presently divided between
a Bathroom (Washing machine in a cupboard) and the Garage (Tumble Dryer
making my machines rust).

There area several feasible ways of doing this, but one that I'm
considering is to stack them. A proper stacking pair is expensive. I'm
thinking of making a shelf for the dryer over the washer ( in a
cupboard, but not in the bathroom! ). Clearly it will need to be
quite strong, but tumble dryers are not exceptionally heavy and the
joist-span will only be 700mm - both the walls and the cupboard back
will be new stud walls.

Can anyone see and 'gotchas' in this idea? Anyone done it?

I'd ahve thought that was ok.

But mine just sits on top of the washing machine and has never had a
problem.

But, the floor is solid, the machine is a newish Bosch that is properly
levelled and doesn't wobble about very much as it seems to have a nice
smooth spin.

YMMV
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 8, 9:20*am, TheOldFellow wrote:
I'm planning to revise the home laundry, presently divided between
a Bathroom (Washing machine in a cupboard) and the Garage (Tumble Dryer
making my machines rust).

There area several feasible ways of doing this, but one that I'm
considering is to stack them. *A proper stacking pair is expensive. I'm
thinking of making a shelf for the dryer over the washer ( in a
cupboard, but not in the bathroom! ). * Clearly it will need to be
quite strong, but tumble dryers are not exceptionally heavy and the
joist-span will only be 700mm - both the walls and the cupboard back
will be new stud walls.

Can anyone see and 'gotchas' in this idea? *Anyone done it?

R.

Does this not tempt you?
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....=Clothes_Dryer

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
I'm planning to revise the home laundry, presently divided between
a Bathroom (Washing machine in a cupboard) and the Garage (Tumble Dryer
making my machines rust).

There area several feasible ways of doing this, but one that I'm
considering is to stack them. A proper stacking pair is expensive. I'm
thinking of making a shelf for the dryer over the washer ( in a
cupboard, but not in the bathroom! ). Clearly it will need to be
quite strong, but tumble dryers are not exceptionally heavy and the
joist-span will only be 700mm - both the walls and the cupboard back
will be new stud walls.

Can anyone see and 'gotchas' in this idea? Anyone done it?

R.

When our kitchen was being redone, I temporally stacked the dishwasher
on top of the washing machine, and the tumble dryer on to of that, in
our bathroom (solid floor) I tied them to the wall, to ensure they could
not fall over, but they never moved, they were like this for a good
month, and are now back in normal service, and are fine.

Toby...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 09:20:45 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

I'm planning to revise the home laundry, presently divided between
a Bathroom (Washing machine in a cupboard) and the Garage (Tumble Dryer
making my machines rust).

There area several feasible ways of doing this, but one that I'm
considering is to stack them. A proper stacking pair is expensive. I'm
thinking of making a shelf for the dryer over the washer ( in a
cupboard, but not in the bathroom! ). Clearly it will need to be
quite strong, but tumble dryers are not exceptionally heavy and the
joist-span will only be 700mm - both the walls and the cupboard back
will be new stud walls.

Can anyone see and 'gotchas' in this idea? Anyone done it?

R.

You can buy a plastic square for this, it just sits on the washer and the
dryer sits in it - the square just stops the dryer gradually moving and
falling off.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
. ..
I'm planning to revise the home laundry, presently divided between
a Bathroom (Washing machine in a cupboard) and the Garage (Tumble Dryer
making my machines rust).

There area several feasible ways of doing this, but one that I'm
considering is to stack them. A proper stacking pair is expensive. I'm
thinking of making a shelf for the dryer over the washer ( in a
cupboard, but not in the bathroom! ). Clearly it will need to be
quite strong, but tumble dryers are not exceptionally heavy and the
joist-span will only be 700mm - both the walls and the cupboard back
will be new stud walls.

Can anyone see and 'gotchas' in this idea? Anyone done it?

Ours sits on a shelf above the washing machine without any problems. The
shelf is 19mm MDF about 700 mm square but is supported on all four sides -
2x1 bearers on back wall and both sides and a 2 x 1 along the front. I got
a couple of full extension drawer slides and put a pull out shelf under the
unit to provide space for baskets of washing whilst loading/unloading -
makes a big difference. Been like that for at least 10 years and the shelf
shows no sign of deflecting under the weight of our condensing dryer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

I used a square of polystrene foam (in a short tenure in rented accom..)
SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I did this in my previous house. I built a framework, then a shelf out
of some old kitchen top. Finally I built a cupboard around this. It
really helped to keep things quieter. I would definitely recommend
keeping the dryer separate as even well installed washing machines can
move around.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 03:07:01 -0700 (PDT)
NT wrote:

Does this not tempt you?
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....=Clothes_Dryer

Me: yes, her: no. The noes have it, the noes have it.

Isn't democracy wonderful. I might just get away with insisting on an
A-rated dryer provided you can also heat Cumbria with it. Some things
are not worth fighting for.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
. ..
I'm planning to revise the home laundry, presently divided between
a Bathroom (Washing machine in a cupboard) and the Garage (Tumble Dryer
making my machines rust).

There area several feasible ways of doing this, but one that I'm
considering is to stack them. A proper stacking pair is expensive. I'm
thinking of making a shelf for the dryer over the washer ( in a
cupboard, but not in the bathroom! ). Clearly it will need to be
quite strong, but tumble dryers are not exceptionally heavy and the
joist-span will only be 700mm - both the walls and the cupboard back
will be new stud walls.

Can anyone see and 'gotchas' in this idea? Anyone done it?

Everyones version of "expensive" is different but at £21.54 inc VAT and P&P,
direct from the UKs major tumble dryer manufacturer I'd say this
http://www.crosslee.co.uk/english/ac...ies.html#cl003
(CL003) is "cheap".

I have one which I bought many years ago and have transferred between
different tumble dryers and washing machines. It's just a thin steel frame
which sits over the washing machine and bolts to the tumble dryer, on a
Crosslee (mainly branded White Knight) machine it bolts neatly to the holes
your just unbolted the feet from. It is 600mm and a bit wide and is
adjustable front to back.
The only gotcha is that some posher washing machines are now sporting
controls on the very top of the front panel which are obscured by the frame.
Nothing an angle grinder can't fix though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
I'm planning to revise the home laundry, presently divided between
a Bathroom (Washing machine in a cupboard) and the Garage (Tumble
Dryer making my machines rust).

There area several feasible ways of doing this, but one that I'm
considering is to stack them. A proper stacking pair is expensive.
I'm thinking of making a shelf for the dryer over the washer ( in a
cupboard, but not in the bathroom! ). Clearly it will need to be
quite strong, but tumble dryers are not exceptionally heavy and the
joist-span will only be 700mm - both the walls and the cupboard back
will be new stud walls.

Can anyone see and 'gotchas' in this idea? Anyone done it?

Did similar 10+ years ago. Got a welder mate to fabricate two brackets for
the tumble drier & bolted them to the wall. Few self tappers through the
brackets into the drier, never moved since.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 21:09:14 +0100
"Calvin Sambrook" wrote:

[...]

It seemed to me when I looked that they were manufacturer specific, if
you say they ain't then I may go that way. But I just like making
stuff. I also like the idea of being able to slide the washer out
leaving the dryer behind.

We are into making things last here, the current dryer was bought in
the 1970s (I know as I was at school when my mum bought it, and I'm 60),
and still works very well, although SWMBO wants a new one as the timer
is U/S and the paint is flaky. The washer came with the house and is at
least 15 years old, again SHE wants a new one as the softener dispenser
doesn't work. No pleasing some women, and I just replaced the hot water
valve too.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
TheOldFellow wrote:
[...]

I made a sort of shelf out of Dexion so that I can put the nose of my car
under it - up the the end of the garage where it resides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Steve Walker
saying something like:

You can buy a plastic square for this, it just sits on the washer and the
dryer sits in it - the square just stops the dryer gradually moving and
falling off.

I've had my dryer stacked on top of the w/m for years without any fancy
bracketry at all. Never fallen off.