Posted to uk.d-i-y
Norman Billingham[_2_] Norman Billingham[_2_] is offline

Default Over and Under

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
. ..
I'm planning to revise the home laundry, presently divided between
a Bathroom (Washing machine in a cupboard) and the Garage (Tumble Dryer
making my machines rust).

There area several feasible ways of doing this, but one that I'm
considering is to stack them. A proper stacking pair is expensive. I'm
thinking of making a shelf for the dryer over the washer ( in a
cupboard, but not in the bathroom! ). Clearly it will need to be
quite strong, but tumble dryers are not exceptionally heavy and the
joist-span will only be 700mm - both the walls and the cupboard back
will be new stud walls.

Can anyone see and 'gotchas' in this idea? Anyone done it?

Ours sits on a shelf above the washing machine without any problems. The
shelf is 19mm MDF about 700 mm square but is supported on all four sides -
2x1 bearers on back wall and both sides and a 2 x 1 along the front. I got
a couple of full extension drawer slides and put a pull out shelf under the
unit to provide space for baskets of washing whilst loading/unloading -
makes a big difference. Been like that for at least 10 years and the shelf
shows no sign of deflecting under the weight of our condensing dryer.