Posted to uk.d-i-y
Calvin Sambrook Calvin Sambrook is offline

Default Over and Under

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
. ..
I'm planning to revise the home laundry, presently divided between
a Bathroom (Washing machine in a cupboard) and the Garage (Tumble Dryer
making my machines rust).

There area several feasible ways of doing this, but one that I'm
considering is to stack them. A proper stacking pair is expensive. I'm
thinking of making a shelf for the dryer over the washer ( in a
cupboard, but not in the bathroom! ). Clearly it will need to be
quite strong, but tumble dryers are not exceptionally heavy and the
joist-span will only be 700mm - both the walls and the cupboard back
will be new stud walls.

Can anyone see and 'gotchas' in this idea? Anyone done it?

Everyones version of "expensive" is different but at £21.54 inc VAT and P&P,
direct from the UKs major tumble dryer manufacturer I'd say this
http://www.crosslee.co.uk/english/ac...ies.html#cl003
(CL003) is "cheap".

I have one which I bought many years ago and have transferred between
different tumble dryers and washing machines. It's just a thin steel frame
which sits over the washing machine and bolts to the tumble dryer, on a
Crosslee (mainly branded White Knight) machine it bolts neatly to the holes
your just unbolted the feet from. It is 600mm and a bit wide and is
adjustable front to back.
The only gotcha is that some posher washing machines are now sporting
controls on the very top of the front panel which are obscured by the frame.
Nothing an angle grinder can't fix though.