Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Logitec Keyboard

In Dec '07, I bought a Logitec wireless keyboard and mouse from CPC for
just over 30 quid inc VAT. Fairly unusual these days in that it was PS2
which I need for this machine. It does have a primitive USB setup - but
this only seems to work with either mouse or keyboard - not both - and I
wished to share via a KVM? switch with my PC.
And most of the lettering has worn off the keys. Unfortunately my touch
typing is poor. Older keyboards were invariably engraved but this one only
printed. I've contacted CPC and they say the warranty is only for one
year. Any thoughts on a DIY fix?

It only gets moderate domestic use. I'd have thought in an office it
wouldn't have lasted a year.

--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
And most of the lettering has worn off the keys. Unfortunately my touch
typing is poor. Older keyboards were invariably engraved but this one only
printed. I've contacted CPC and they say the warranty is only for one
year. Any thoughts on a DIY fix?

Try a Brother P-Touch. Thoroughly clean the keys, round off the corners
of the label, attach.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In Dec '07, I bought a Logitec wireless keyboard and mouse from CPC for
just over 30 quid inc VAT. Fairly unusual these days in that it was PS2
which I need for this machine. It does have a primitive USB setup - but
this only seems to work with either mouse or keyboard - not both - and I
wished to share via a KVM? switch with my PC.

That problem sounds as if it might have more to do with the PC than the
keyboard. FWIW I also have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and
they both work fine via USB.

And most of the lettering has worn off the keys. Unfortunately my touch
typing is poor. Older keyboards were invariably engraved but this one only
printed. I've contacted CPC and they say the warranty is only for one
year. Any thoughts on a DIY fix?

It only gets moderate domestic use. I'd have thought in an office it
wouldn't have lasted a year.

A lot depends on the individual user. My wife liked my keyboard so much
I bought one the same for her PC. Over the years much of the lettering
has worn off her keyboard, like yours. But my keyboard, which is used a
lot more than hers, still looks as good as new.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
In Dec '07, I bought a Logitec wireless keyboard and mouse from CPC for
just over 30 quid inc VAT. Fairly unusual these days in that it was PS2
which I need for this machine. It does have a primitive USB setup - but
this only seems to work with either mouse or keyboard - not both - and I
wished to share via a KVM? switch with my PC.

That problem sounds as if it might have more to do with the PC than the
keyboard. FWIW I also have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and
they both work fine via USB.

This machine is an Acorn and I don't think USB had been invented when it
was new. I did later get a UBS card, but the range of drivers is extremely
limited. Only really for a basic mouse, and card reader, etc.

--
*Indian Driver - Smoke signals only*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In Dec '07, I bought a Logitec wireless keyboard and mouse from CPC for
just over 30 quid inc VAT. Fairly unusual these days in that it was PS2
which I need for this machine. It does have a primitive USB setup - but
this only seems to work with either mouse or keyboard - not both - and I
wished to share via a KVM? switch with my PC.
And most of the lettering has worn off the keys. Unfortunately my touch
typing is poor. Older keyboards were invariably engraved but this one only
printed. I've contacted CPC and they say the warranty is only for one
year. Any thoughts on a DIY fix?

It only gets moderate domestic use. I'd have thought in an office it
wouldn't have lasted a year.

I know what you mean. You just can't tell when you buy them, I have
had cheap keyboards that have not shown any legend-fade after a
considerable time, and expensive ones that start fading after a few months.
You begin to wonder if it's beyond the 'wit of man' etc.

Maybe they should use the same technique as Blackpool rock :-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 7, 4:11*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In Dec '07, I bought a Logitec wireless keyboard and mouse from CPC for
just over 30 quid inc VAT. Fairly unusual these days in that it was PS2
which I need for this machine. It does have a primitive USB setup - but
this only seems to work with either mouse or keyboard - not both - and I
wished to share via a KVM? switch with my PC.
*And most of the lettering has worn off the keys. Unfortunately my touch
typing is poor. Older keyboards were invariably engraved but this one only
printed. I've contacted CPC and they say the warranty is only for one
year. Any thoughts on a DIY fix?

It only gets moderate domestic use. I'd have thought in an office it
wouldn't have lasted a year.

Can you not use a die grinder, or even the little £1 versions of them,
to engrave the keys?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In Dec '07, I bought a Logitec wireless keyboard and mouse from CPC for
just over 30 quid inc VAT. Fairly unusual these days in that it was PS2
which I need for this machine. It does have a primitive USB setup - but
this only seems to work with either mouse or keyboard - not both - and I
wished to share via a KVM? switch with my PC.
And most of the lettering has worn off the keys. Unfortunately my touch
typing is poor. Older keyboards were invariably engraved but this one only
printed. I've contacted CPC and they say the warranty is only for one
year. Any thoughts on a DIY fix?

It only gets moderate domestic use. I'd have thought in an office it
wouldn't have lasted a year.

Get a new one.

I've got a logitech PS/2 'Internet' keybored that I bought 2 months ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 16:11:21 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In Dec '07, I bought a Logitec wireless keyboard and mouse from CPC for
just over 30 quid inc VAT. Fairly unusual these days in that it was PS2
which I need for this machine. It does have a primitive USB setup - but
this only seems to work with either mouse or keyboard - not both - and I
wished to share via a KVM? switch with my PC.
And most of the lettering has worn off the keys. Unfortunately my touch
typing is poor. Older keyboards were invariably engraved but this one only
printed. I've contacted CPC and they say the warranty is only for one
year. Any thoughts on a DIY fix?

It only gets moderate domestic use. I'd have thought in an office it
wouldn't have lasted a year.

You could try Letraset transfers. They are sheets to sticky letters
and fairly tough. They only cost a little so worth a try.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 July, 18:47, "Graham." wrote:
[...]

Some do, its called double shot moulding, laser engraved other long
lasting key marking system.
Cherry used to make the very nicest keyboards.

Adam

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

Cherry used to make the very nicest keyboards.

No. IBM, then Compaq, then Apple. In that order.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 21:32:41 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

Adam Aglionby wrote:

Cherry used to make the very nicest keyboards.

No. IBM

I'm typing on my Model M at the mo (23 years old now) - absolutely love
it. Plus it's heavy enough that I can use it as a weapon should anyone
break into the house ;-)

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Jul 7, 9:15*pm, Adam Aglionby wrote:
[...]
Some do, its called double shot moulding, laser engraved other long
lasting key marking system.
Cherry used to make the very nicest keyboards.

I agree. You can still get some very decent double-shot moulded
Cherrry keyboards; they have a shop on eBay for end of lines etc.. A
chap called IIRC Robin Bithrey from Cherry runs it. I'm typing this on
a very decent slightly shrunk Cherry keyboard (they bring the numeric
keypad in and move the cursor block down) which cost me under a tenner
including postage from him.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Cherry-Keyboards

I have an IBM buckling spring K/B in the garage and I prefer this one
to it. If I could get a K/B like my old Cherry AT with gold crosspoint
switches I'd be even happier. Unfortunately I chucked it when PS/2
came along, not realising that adapters could be made/had ;-(.

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 July, 22:51, jkn wrote:

I have an IBM buckling spring K/B in the garage and I prefer this one
to it. If I could get a K/B like my old Cherry AT with gold crosspoint
switches I'd be even happier. Unfortunately I chucked it when PS/2
came along, not realising that adapters could be made/had ;-(.

* * J^n

Indeed, the colour coded wires for AT and PS2 were very easily
resoldered onto the labelled PCB for permanent cable and plug swaps.
The extra pin on PS2 is not connected anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
[...]

I am sure this is to do with the crap the put on their hands, I see it
all the time at work!

LED moving message sign programmed with IR keyboard: Missing keyboard...possible solutions? 427Cobraman Electronics Repair 5 October 26th 06 02:15 AM
Just in case: (cherry keyboard pinout) - it was: help on soldering a 5 pin din connector to a keyboard Lotas Electronics Repair 0 June 9th 06 11:27 AM
Keyboard Gilbert Baron Home Repair 0 November 24th 05 09:34 PM
Keyboard ? Cliff Metalworking 5 July 20th 05 10:19 AM