Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LED moving message sign programmed with IR keyboard: Missing keyboard...possible solutions?

Sign board in question is a LaBelle industries express 152 (of around
1989 vintage) that works, but is missing the keyboard and a hunt for a
replacement has been futile. I found a wired keyboard from the same
manufacturer, but there is no place to plug it into the sign. The IR
receiver in the sign is a philips TDA3047 that uses a 36Khz input
signal. Is it safe to assume I'd possibly be able to somehow program
this using philips IR protocol using a universal remote? If not, what
options do I have aside from tossing this into the trash? I opened up
the wired keyboard, and it's a simple switch matrix setup with 20 pin
connector. Thanks,

Alex

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 22 Oct 2006 17:58:46 -0700, "427Cobraman"
wrote:

Sign board in question is a LaBelle industries express 152 (of around
1989 vintage) that works, but is missing the keyboard and a hunt for a
replacement has been futile. I found a wired keyboard from the same
manufacturer, but there is no place to plug it into the sign. The IR
receiver in the sign is a philips TDA3047 that uses a 36Khz input
signal. Is it safe to assume I'd possibly be able to somehow program
this using philips IR protocol using a universal remote? If not, what
options do I have aside from tossing this into the trash? I opened up
the wired keyboard, and it's a simple switch matrix setup with 20 pin
connector. Thanks,

Alex

Are there any external jacks? DB9? Round DIN? Headphone style?

Some of the scrolling signs (Alpha, for example) have a serial port
for connecting a PC and they have PC software for doing the
programming.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No external jacks. There is a 20 pin connector inside on the PC board
that has lines going to the eeprom as well as a sram chip. The output
from the ir decoder appears to go to one leg of an octal buffer IC.
Most of the traces are hidden under the LED modules, so it's hard to be
sure where they all go. The keyboard I found has a 10 x 2 pin
connector on it but only about 15 of the lines are used. I just tried
using a universal remote using various phillips product setup codes to
no avail. Also tried using a wireless PC keyboard, but it probably
doesn't use philips protocol.

Are there any external jacks? DB9? Round DIN? Headphone style?

Some of the scrolling signs (Alpha, for example) have a serial port
for connecting a PC and they have PC software for doing the
programming.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have a complete Labelle L.E.D. sign with remote and manual I would be
willing to part with.
Make me an offer I can't refuse !!!!!!!
Dick
"427Cobraman" wrote in message
oups.com...
No external jacks. There is a 20 pin connector inside on the PC board
that has lines going to the eeprom as well as a sram chip. The output
from the ir decoder appears to go to one leg of an octal buffer IC.
Most of the traces are hidden under the LED modules, so it's hard to be
sure where they all go. The keyboard I found has a 10 x 2 pin
connector on it but only about 15 of the lines are used. I just tried
using a universal remote using various phillips product setup codes to
no avail. Also tried using a wireless PC keyboard, but it probably
doesn't use philips protocol.

Are there any external jacks? DB9? Round DIN? Headphone style?

Some of the scrolling signs (Alpha, for example) have a serial port
for connecting a PC and they have PC software for doing the
programming.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Just wanted to update. I found a gentleman who offered me two IR
keyboards for my sign. Thanks for the assistance all!

P.S. Dick,
What model is your sign?