Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John John is offline

Default LED moving message sign programmed with IR keyboard: Missing keyboard...possible solutions?

On 22 Oct 2006 17:58:46 -0700, "427Cobraman"
wrote:

Sign board in question is a LaBelle industries express 152 (of around
1989 vintage) that works, but is missing the keyboard and a hunt for a
replacement has been futile. I found a wired keyboard from the same
manufacturer, but there is no place to plug it into the sign. The IR
receiver in the sign is a philips TDA3047 that uses a 36Khz input
signal. Is it safe to assume I'd possibly be able to somehow program
this using philips IR protocol using a universal remote? If not, what
options do I have aside from tossing this into the trash? I opened up
the wired keyboard, and it's a simple switch matrix setup with 20 pin
connector. Thanks,

Alex

Are there any external jacks? DB9? Round DIN? Headphone style?

Some of the scrolling signs (Alpha, for example) have a serial port
for connecting a PC and they have PC software for doing the
programming.

John