Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for unusual bolt

Hi

I'm looking for a coach bolt where the square section runs the full
length of the unthreaded bit.

Any suggestions of suppliers that might have such a thing?

Cheers,

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Lupton" backwards.moc.liamg@pulevets wrote in message
Hi

I'm looking for a coach bolt where the square section runs the full length
of the unthreaded bit.

Any suggestions of suppliers that might have such a thing?

I doubt anyone makes anything like that as a standard item. You would
probably need to get a machine shop make you one (or more0 specially.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Steve Lupton" backwards.moc.liamg@pulevets wrote in message
Hi

I'm looking for a coach bolt where the square section runs the full length
of the unthreaded bit.

Any suggestions of suppliers that might have such a thing?

I doubt anyone makes anything like that as a standard item. You would
probably need to get a machine shop make you one (or more0 specially.

Colin Bignell

I did suspect as much.

I had an idea for making it myself - what do you think about this?

Procure some square section bar the right size and run a die over each
end. I realise this will result in only the four corners being threaded
- do you think this could work?

I could then put a nylock nut on each side...

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Lupton wrote:
nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Steve Lupton" backwards.moc.liamg@pulevets wrote in message
Hi

I'm looking for a coach bolt where the square section runs the full
length of the unthreaded bit.

Any suggestions of suppliers that might have such a thing?

I doubt anyone makes anything like that as a standard item. You would
probably need to get a machine shop make you one (or more0 specially.

Colin Bignell

I did suspect as much.

I had an idea for making it myself - what do you think about this?

Procure some square section bar the right size and run a die over each
end. I realise this will result in only the four corners being threaded
- do you think this could work?

I could then put a nylock nut on each side...

Steve

A normal die will only cut on a continuous surface ie round rod.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Steve Lupton" backwards.moc.liamg@pulevets wrote in message
Hi

I'm looking for a coach bolt where the square section runs the full
length of the unthreaded bit.

Any suggestions of suppliers that might have such a thing?

I doubt anyone makes anything like that as a standard item. You would
probably need to get a machine shop make you one (or more0 specially.

Colin Bignell

I did suspect as much.

I had an idea for making it myself - what do you think about this?

Procure some square section bar the right size and run a die over each
end. I realise this will result in only the four corners being threaded -
do you think this could work?

I could then put a nylock nut on each side...

It doesn't take any load then?

Why not drill through it and put a cotter pin and some washers on?

If you need it to look neater drill through a cap nut and put the cotter pin
through that.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Lupton" backwards.moc.liamg@pulevets wrote in message
I had an idea for making it myself - what do you think about this?

Procure some square section bar the right size and run a die over each
end. I realise this will result in only the four corners being threaded -
do you think this could work?

If you mean an ordinary three-lobe button die, I very much doubt it. I can't
see three cutting edges and four corners mixing very well. A four-lobe die
might work, with a lot of care, but it would be much better to use a lathe
and turn the ends round first, or simply to use the lathe to cut the threads

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Steve Lupton" backwards.moc.liamg@pulevets wrote in message
I had an idea for making it myself - what do you think about this?

Procure some square section bar the right size and run a die over each
end. I realise this will result in only the four corners being threaded -
do you think this could work?

If you mean an ordinary three-lobe button die, I very much doubt it. I can't
see three cutting edges and four corners mixing very well. A four-lobe die
might work, with a lot of care, but it would be much better to use a lathe
and turn the ends round first, or simply to use the lathe to cut the threads

Colin Bignell

Thanks everyone...

I think I'll take the broken bolt to a metalworker and see if they can
just make a similar replacement.