Bruce White

Default Unusual gift at least for me

As long as you have a planer, those oak pallets can be made into a lot of
things. I wouldn't burn'em just yet.

Our warehouse man keeps his eye out for me at our work, I've made lots of
segmented bowls out of pallets, just look out for staples.

Bruce

"Bruce Ferguson" wrote in message
m...
This year I got 3 boxes from my son. The first was real heavy. Box full

of
oak pallet boards about 25 lb with a gift cirtifiacate to Rocklers. That
was cool. The next box had a Banksi pod and the last a Tagua nut. The

oak
I know what to do with. ( I know pallet wood is for the fireplace, you

must
have been talking with my wife) but the pod and the nut are new to me.

Well
on to the internet to find more info on the two items. I have as much fun
looking for the info as turning it.
I hope everyone has a good New Years and may all your stuff come off the
lathe in one piece.

Bruce

Leo Lichtman

Bruce Ferguson wrote: (clip) The first was real heavy. Box full of oak
pallet boards about 25 lb with a gift cirtifiacate to Rocklers. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think that represents a warmly amusing relationship.

But, don't be too quick to start the fire. I have seen oak pallet boards
cleaned up, planed, resawn, and used for some very attractive recycled
creations.

Lewis Dodd

You need to get ahold of Cindy Drozda in Colorado!! She is a marvel with
those Banksia Pods!

Had the opportunity to see her twice at the SWAT meeting in Wichita Falls,
Texas this year. Neat Lady!

Regards,
Lewis

--
Not one shred of evidence exists that life is serious.
Richard Feynman

"Bruce Ferguson" wrote in message
m...
This year I got 3 boxes from my son. The first was real heavy. Box full

of
oak pallet boards about 25 lb with a gift cirtifiacate to Rocklers. That
was cool. The next box had a Banksi pod and the last a Tagua nut. The

oak
I know what to do with. ( I know pallet wood is for the fireplace, you

must
have been talking with my wife) but the pod and the nut are new to me.

Well
on to the internet to find more info on the two items. I have as much fun
looking for the info as turning it.
I hope everyone has a good New Years and may all your stuff come off the
lathe in one piece.

Bruce

Fred Holder

Hello Bruce,

Don't write off those palet boards so quickly. I've made a number of segmented
bowls from old oak palet boards like you received. Once cleaned up they are
pretty nice wood.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , Bruce Ferguson
says...

This year I got 3 boxes from my son. The first was real heavy. Box full of
oak pallet boards about 25 lb with a gift cirtifiacate to Rocklers. That
was cool. The next box had a Banksi pod and the last a Tagua nut. The oak
I know what to do with. ( I know pallet wood is for the fireplace, you must
have been talking with my wife) but the pod and the nut are new to me. Well
on to the internet to find more info on the two items. I have as much fun
looking for the info as turning it.
I hope everyone has a good New Years and may all your stuff come off the
lathe in one piece.

Bruce

Bruce Ferguson

My wife and I are constantly at odds with wood. She wants to burn it and I
want to turn it. She gets after me when she buys wood at home depot as I go
through it. Then she is in my cut off box looking to see what she can use.
This time the boards are about 6 to 8 inches long. I think he cut them up
for weight in the box that had the gift cirtificate. A little short for the
planer. Some are good others have knots and splits but they are about 1
inch thick. Fred that is a good idea about useing them for segments as I
have been playing with the software from Woodturner Pro. I would be good to
experiment with. The tagua nut is about the size of a medium egg. the
banksia pod is about 10" long and about 3" in diameter at the widest part.
So far I have not found too much on the "how to" with either. I consider
myself a novice with basic tools. Nothing small to use on the tagua nut and
I am still not sure what to do with the pod. Since I only have one of each
I hope I don't muck them up.

Bruce
"Fred Holder" wrote in message
[...]

jev

Default Unusual gift at least for me - Tagua_2.jpg (0/1)

This is what you can do with Tagua nuts - miniature turnings.

These are sitting on segmented bowl turning. The samller is about 1"
tall and the larger about 1.5" tall.

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 12:11:56 -0600, "Lewis Dodd"
wrote:

You need to get ahold of Cindy Drozda in Colorado!! She is a marvel with
those Banksia Pods!

Had the opportunity to see her twice at the SWAT meeting in Wichita Falls,
Texas this year. Neat Lady!

Regards,
Lewis

Ray Sparks

Well Bruce I think you have a very thoughtful son there.
A box full of pallet boards, We have competitions here to build furniture
out of pallets, So have a good think about burning any of it first.

The Banksia pod, well if you have a look around some of the club sites here
in OZ you will find a lot of info on them. The Sydney Wood Turner Guild is
one place to start, the Peninsula Woodturners is another.

At some of the shows I have seen some very nice work done with Banksia nuts.

--
Ray

"Bruce Ferguson" wrote in message
m...
This year I got 3 boxes from my son. The first was real heavy. Box full

of
oak pallet boards about 25 lb with a gift cirtifiacate to Rocklers. That
was cool. The next box had a Banksi pod and the last a Tagua nut. The

oak
I know what to do with. ( I know pallet wood is for the fireplace, you

must
have been talking with my wife) but the pod and the nut are new to me.

Well
on to the internet to find more info on the two items. I have as much fun
looking for the info as turning it.
I hope everyone has a good New Years and may all your stuff come off the
lathe in one piece.

Bruce

Bruce Ferguson

Thanks, I will have to go to those two sites to see what they have. The
only down side to the internet is you need that one toe hold to get
information. You can search and search till you put in the right word or
someone gives you a site then everything opens up and you have more info
than you can use. Thanks again.

Bruce
"Ray Sparks" wrote in message
[...]

Reyd Dorakeen

the only problem with the tagua nuts, is that they have a void in the
center, so you have to watch getting things stuck in there(like tools) and
having it disapeer. If you want more, lee valley sells them by the pound
for about 10$/lb or I think about 50cents a piece if you only want a few

The tagua nut is about the size of a medium egg. the
banksia pod is about 10" long and about 3" in diameter at the widest part.
So far I have not found too much on the "how to" with either. I consider
myself a novice with basic tools. Nothing small to use on the tagua nut and
I am still not sure what to do with the pod.
Bruce

Reyd Dorakeen

tagua nuts turn easily, if you have some small screw drivers, or some files
with no handle(the kind with the pointy metal bit still showing.) even large
nails in a pair of pliers. with a grinder to make any shape you want, I
turned one(sort of) attached onto a hand drill, and used a screwdriver on
it(it blew up because it didnt stay on the drill, but with a lathe thats not
a problem)

Nothing small to use on the tagua nut and
I am still not sure what to do with the pod.
Bruce

Chuck

On 26 Dec 2003 13:32:12 -0600, jev
wrote:

This is what you can do with Tagua nuts - miniature turnings.

Please don't post binary files here. They should be on
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking Non-binary newsgroups are
text-only.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com