Bob Minchin

Default Unusual MDF?

Mike Faithfull wrote:

I saw some MDF yesterday that looked 'normal' until I noticed the cut edge -
only the two flat surfaces looked like MDF, the core of the material was a
greenish grey colour. It seemed to be the same density and texture, but

Is this something special? The house owner didn't have a clue about it, and
the builder doing the job wasn't around to ask ....

I have heard that there is a waterproof variant of MDF although never knowingly
seen it. Maybe this is what you saw?

Bob

tony sayer

In article , Mike
Faithfull writes
I saw some MDF yesterday that looked 'normal' until I noticed the cut edge -
only the two flat surfaces looked like MDF, the core of the material was a
greenish grey colour. It seemed to be the same density and texture, but

Is this something special? The house owner didn't have a clue about it, and
the builder doing the job wasn't around to ask ....

IIRC there is a fire resistant version that looks like this...
--
Tony Sayer

Peter Parry

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:21:19 +0100, "Mike Faithfull"
wrote:

I saw some MDF yesterday that looked 'normal' until I noticed the cut edge -
only the two flat surfaces looked like MDF, the core of the material was a
greenish grey colour.

MDF or chipboard? The water "resistant" chipboard used in bathrooms
looks like this.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Sean Delere

I saw some MDF yesterday that looked 'normal' until I noticed the cut
edge -
only the two flat surfaces looked like MDF, the core of the material was

greenish grey colour.

It sounds very much like waterproof MDF to me.

It has a green tint to the shavings and dust when you cut it and the stuff I
have used has a green painted stripe on the edge.

If anyone is wondering I can confirm that it is waterproof and all but the
thinnest strips have failed to warp after being left outside in a water
filled bin for over 2 years!

Sean