Frank Z

Default Unusual radiator plumbing qn.

I am intstalling a long radiatior under a long window. The window will
have a venetian blind, so curtains will not be necessary - except that
I want to hang a narrow, floor-length curtain (permanently drawn open)
at each end of the window, just for looks. Unfortunately, this would
cover a TRV if fitted, so I envisage running the 15mm pipe from the
radiator horizontally for about 15", then have a TRV at the end of
that pipe. Then below the TRV, the pipe will run directly downwards
through the floorboards.

Question 1: Will a normal TRV do for this purpose - or should I try to
find a thermostatic valve that is designed to be fitted in-line
(couldn't find such a valve at B.E.S.)

Question 2: Pipes from radiators usually run downwards, and so most
valves are designed with the inlet or outlet pointing downwards. Does
anyone know where I can buy one with an inlet/oulet running parallel
to the floor? (I couldn't find one at B.E.S.)

Thank you

Frank
Grunff

Frank Z wrote:

Question 1: Will a normal TRV do for this purpose - or should I try to
find a thermostatic valve that is designed to be fitted in-line
(couldn't find such a valve at B.E.S.)

But how would you fit a standard TRV inline? They are designed
for one end to go on the radiator.

Question 2: Pipes from radiators usually run downwards, and so most
valves are designed with the inlet or outlet pointing downwards. Does
anyone know where I can buy one with an inlet/oulet running parallel
to the floor? (I couldn't find one at B.E.S.)

What you need is an inline TRV, e.g. Screwfix 15000.

--
Grunff

Frank Z

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:36:55 +0100, Grunff wrote:

But how would you fit a standard TRV inline? They are designed
for one end to go on the radiator.

Presumably by using a suitable adapter/reducer, it could be fitted to
a 15mm pipe rather than directly to the rad, no?

Question 2: Pipes from radiators usually run downwards, and so most
valves are designed with the inlet or outlet pointing downwards. Does
anyone know where I can buy one with an inlet/oulet running parallel
to the floor? (I couldn't find one at B.E.S.)

What you need is an inline TRV, e.g. Screwfix 15000.

I had a look at that item - thanks. I couldn't tell from the pic if it
is a normal trv but with a horizontal-facing inlet rather than a
downward-pointiong one - or if it is a thermostatic valve designed to
be fitted some distance from a rad, on a horizontal pipe.

Thanks for the help.

Frank

Grunff

Frank Z wrote:

I had a look at that item - thanks. I couldn't tell from the pic if it
is a normal trv but with a horizontal-facing inlet rather than a
downward-pointiong one - or if it is a thermostatic valve designed to
be fitted some distance from a rad, on a horizontal pipe.

It's a thermostatic valve with 15mm in and 15mm out - exactly
what you need.

--
Grunff

biscuit

"Grunff" wrote in message
Frank Z wrote:

Question 1: Will a normal TRV do for this purpose - or should I try to
find a thermostatic valve that is designed to be fitted in-line
(couldn't find such a valve at B.E.S.)

But how would you fit a standard TRV inline? They are designed
for one end to go on the radiator.

....... Drayton TRV 4 will allow standard 15mm connection at both ends.