Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Virgin Media Installation Conundrum

I've decided I want to have sky sports for the new football season. I
really don't want a dish on the side of my house so I'm planning to
get it through Virgin Media. There is already a virgin media
connection point in the pavement right next to the end of my drive. I
have block paving laid on the drive and between the pavement and the
house, its not possible to lay a cable from the connection point to
the house without going underneath the block paving, the shortest run
being about 3 metres. I rang VM to ask whose responsibility it was to
lift and relay the block paving. They said they never touch block
paving but there's no need for me to do it either, because their
engineers "have ways" to do it. Well I don't see how a cable can be
laid without lifting the paving. The call centre couldn't elaborate,
only to keep saying "our engineers have ways to do these things".
So my question is, has anyone had VM installed with a cable run under
block paving (or tarmac, or slabs), and what 'special ways' did the
engineers use?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BodgeIt wrote:
[...]

I think it's quite obvious where the cable is going to be if they 'never
touch block paving' - it gets clipped to your fence, or if you have a garden
wall, it gets clipped to that - if you don't fancy either of these ideas,
you ain't getting cable installed.

FWIW, they don't lift anything, for flags, they run the cable between the
joints - yes even if they are staggered, and for tarmac and concrete, they
grind out a small channel about an inch deep, put the cable into place and
fill in.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BodgeIt wrote:
[...]

I expect they use a "mole". The gas board do in these cases.

Bob

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
BodgeIt wrote:
[...]

They can't use a mole because they are 2 feet long, meaning they'd have to
dig two holes in his block paving, one at the house end and one at the
pavement end and each hole would have to be at least 2 foot square

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 16:15:54 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Thanks

I think it's quite obvious where the cable is going to be if they 'never
touch block paving' - it gets clipped to your fence, or if you have a garden
wall, it gets clipped to that - if you don't fancy either of these ideas,
you ain't getting cable installed.

FWIW, they don't lift anything, for flags, they run the cable between the
joints - yes even if they are staggered, and for tarmac and concrete, they
grind out a small channel about an inch deep, put the cable into place and
fill in.

The only way they can do that would be to run the cable on top of the
pavement, the pavement in our cul-de-sac is also block paved, as is
the road. There is simply no route to my property that isn't block
paved for at least 1.5metres width.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BodgeIt wrote:
[...]

They train in secret at the Hogwash School of Wizardry and Witchcrap with
Barry Trotter.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
BodgeIt wrote:
[...]

That's what they did that in my flowerbed, FFS...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks

I think it's quite obvious where the cable is going to be if they
'never touch block paving' - it gets clipped to your fence, or if
you have a garden wall, it gets clipped to that - if you don't fancy
either of these ideas, you ain't getting cable installed.

FWIW, they don't lift anything, for flags, they run the cable
between the joints - yes even if they are staggered, and for tarmac
and concrete, they grind out a small channel about an inch deep, put
the cable into place and fill in.

The only way they can do that would be to run the cable on top of the
pavement, the pavement in our cul-de-sac is also block paved, as is
the road. There is simply no route to my property that isn't block
paved for at least 1.5metres width.

Do you have a fence or wall seperating your garden from next doors, and from
the pavement?

Is there a small cement infill between wall/fence and block paving? - if
there is, this is where the cable will go.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
BodgeIt wrote:
[...]

I think you are all very optimistic - round here they are just laid on the
surface across paving and if you have a 'high class' installation the cable
is put inside a bit of black flexible pipe! Equally if you want an
additional 'box' at the back of the house the cable is often just thrown
over the roof ridge.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but it would be a tortuous route, probably 30 metres, whereas the
connection point is only 3 metres 'as the crow flys' to where it would
enter the house. Surely they wouldn't do that? Would they? How thick
is the cable, like RG59 coax?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 19:53:16 +0100, "Peter Andrews"
wrote:

I think you are all very optimistic - round here they are just laid on the
surface across paving and if you have a 'high class' installation the cable
is put inside a bit of black flexible pipe! Equally if you want an
additional 'box' at the back of the house the cable is often just thrown
over the roof ridge.

Peter

Peter you are jesting now, aren't you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think you are all very optimistic - round here they are just laid on the
surface across paving and if you have a 'high class' installation the
cable
is put inside a bit of black flexible pipe! Equally if you want an
additional 'box' at the back of the house the cable is often just thrown
over the roof ridge.

Peter

Peter you are jesting now, aren't you?

Probably not.. I have seen such things done around here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

BodgeIt wrote:
[...]

We must be in a *very* posh installation - our flexible conduit isn't
black - it's green! I guess that's to hide it between the blades of
grass. When I did some paving and so on outside, I buried it as deeply
as I could, but it had started out snaked through plants.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
BodgeIt wrote:
[...]

PAh - mine was hidden in a mortar fillet running down the side wall

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Rod wrote:

We must be in a *very* posh installation - our flexible conduit isn't
black - it's green! I guess that's to hide it between the blades of
grass. When I did some paving and so on outside, I buried it as deeply
as I could, but it had started out snaked through plants.

Heh, Down here in "Posh" Folkestone (!) we have the same green conduit.

Ours is half heartedly buried in the gravel and the edge of our front
garden. Had to sign something to say we accepted that it wasn't buried
to the correct depth IIRC (it was installed 10 years ago)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Phil L wrote:
BodgeIt wrote:
[...]

And my lawn - lift an inch of turf, tuck underneath and tread down.
Alternatively, they will make an appointment, drive to your house, take one
look and drive away (I've known that happen too). If you want a proper job
on installation, you have to provide the route yourself IMHO. Still happy
with rest of service though.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
Phil L wrote:
BodgeIt wrote:
[...]

#

Never a truer word spoken.

Installation teams are on a rate, and miking a net unobtrusive job costs
money.

A decent conduit with a pull wire is the cheapest of all, IF you provide
it for them..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Andrews wrote:

I think you are all very optimistic - round here they are just laid on the
surface across paving and if you have a 'high class' installation the cable
is put inside a bit of black flexible pipe!

We got cable installed (with landlady's permission) for Internet in our
student house. The installers (while I was out) stuck it straight
through the extractor fan in my basement bedroom. All I could really do
about it was take the fuse out of the FCU to stop someone turning on the
fan and tangling it up in the cable.

Pete