Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wetroom floor screed - does it have to be dry mix?

I was wondering - if putting down 60-70mm of screed over 75mm celotex
(actually Ballytherm) with UFH pipes tacked on:

does sand/cement screed need to go down "dry" (ie the usual bugger all water
mix)?

Is there any reason I can't mix it wetter like concrete (minus the aggregate
obviously) and tamp it down then rule it off.

To be honest, I don't get on with tamping dry screed down, especially in
fiddly places where I want the screed to flow round difficult bits like
drain pipes.

Just wondered...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 June, 15:38, Tim S wrote:
I was wondering - if putting down 60-70mm of screed over 75mm celotex
(actually Ballytherm) with UFH pipes tacked on:

does sand/cement screed need to go down "dry" (ie the usual bugger all water
mix)?

Is there any reason I can't mix it wetter like concrete (minus the aggregate
obviously) and tamp it down then rule it off.

To be honest, I don't get on with tamping dry screed down, especially in
fiddly places where I want the screed to flow round difficult bits like
drain pipes.

Just wondered...

Cheers

Tim

I can't answer your question, Tim, but do remember to put a bias on
the floor so that the water flows towards the drain point. A friend
liked our wetroom facility, asked her builder to incorporate that into
her new house and the stupid bugger laid it flat, so that every time
you have a shower you have to sweep the water on the floor towards the
drain.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob G coughed up some electrons that declared:

I can't answer your question, Tim, but do remember to put a bias on
the floor so that the water flows towards the drain point. A friend
liked our wetroom facility, asked her builder to incorporate that into
her new house and the stupid bugger laid it flat, so that every time
you have a shower you have to sweep the water on the floor towards the
drain.

Rob

Good point. I had realised that though!

I'm using an ACO stainless channel drain across the whole middle and sloping
both sides (shower side and loo/door side) towards that.

75mm celotex insulation and UFH should see it dry quickly

Actually, I rang ACO today. Instructions say to set teh drain in a solid
8"x8" block of concrete, or something very similar. This seemed stupid.
Fortunately tech bloke agreed it was ********. He said setting in screed
layer would be fine, but set the drain first on a fairly wet bed of
sand/cement onto the celotex, let it go off then set the rest of the floor
in around it.

That's when I started wondering...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob G wrote:
I can't answer your question, Tim, but do remember to put a bias on
the floor so that the water flows towards the drain point. A friend
liked our wetroom facility, asked her builder to incorporate that into
her new house and the stupid bugger laid it flat, so that every time
you have a shower you have to sweep the water on the floor towards the
drain.

Yup... around here (Cambridge), lots of the colleges are converting corners
of rooms into 'en-suite' wetrooms so they can get more conference trade.
There's quite a lot of variability even within one block of rooms as to
whether they get the water flow right. They're a pig to keep clean, and it
shows.

Best example I was in the other evening was slightly wider than a coffin -
just about big enough for a toilet and basin. The shower head was sticking
out of the wall above the mirror over the basin, with the control between
the mirror and the basin. This was one of the better rooms (according to my
host) - but there was still a fetid pool of water in the corner since the
morning.

Theo

Floor screed? Tim S UK diy 17 December 5th 08 08:32 PM
how soon can I use self levelling on new floor screed [email protected] UK diy 0 October 1st 07 08:28 PM
How Thick is a Screed Floor [email protected] UK diy 6 August 10th 05 05:19 PM
Tiling a Wetroom Floor, How? [email protected] UK diy 19 June 20th 05 11:37 PM
PVA new screed floor? Mark UK diy 2 February 17th 05 07:28 PM