Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telephones and networks

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:24:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Mind your I don't know if you'd actually get useable ADSL on 5
kilo feet of overhead line mind let alone 16,000 odd for a three

mile
one.

Don/t be daft. I am that distance, its mostly overhead, and I get

3.5Mbps

Which distance, 5 or 15 thousand feet?

5000 feet.

So you are getting a lower sync rate than me (3.5 v 5(*) ish) but my
line is three times the length of yours at 15,000' but underground...
Overhead is not good for ADSL. I presume that sync rate is what it
will maintain 24/7. What happens if it syncs at night?

(*) It's **** ATM 'cause BT have been ferreting in the joints and it
takes a week to settle back down and for them to stop coming back
fixing the faults they put on ferreting in the joints the first
time... Fecking ali cable...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:10:37 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

And while I want a long, hot summer, I know that in periods of dry
weather, my line will deteriorate (as it has done in the past), so I
suspect there's a junction box in the way that's a bit damp, and when it
dries out, maybe something goes high resistance or has a diode effect...

Opposite way round here, the wet screws up the sync rate. Nice long
dry period is much better. But as you say getting Openreach via your
ISP to fix such a fault is almost impossible unless the line has
fallen below the FTR.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Gordon Henderson
scribeth thus
In article ,
Tim S wrote:
PCPaul coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 23:46:13 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 07:40:24 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

Now we're moving to 8 meg (from 1 meg) it might become more of a
limiter

Unless you are pretty close to the exchnage you won't get 8Mbps. Those
magic 6pt words "up to" next to the 72pt "8Mbps", though I think Ofcom
might have tried to stop that sort of advertising now.

The exchange used to be at theend of our 100' garden, and our phone line
went direct from the house to the exchange via overhead cable. I got
6.5Mbps.

Athough I haven't tested the actual throughput yet, I'm getting a sync rate
of 7.5 MBit/sec on a short hop of old overhead line, and the exchange is
1/2 mile away.

I'd suggest there is a wiring fault somewhere, as at those distances you
ought to be getting a solid 8Mb/sec sync speed. I'm 600 metres from my
exchange as the crow flies, all underground bar the last hop from a
pole, and I know the wire path is a bit longer and I get 8Mb/sec - just,
but my neighbours get a much better SNR than I do, so I know there is
a cabling fault somewhere - trouble is, it's the sort of fault you just
can't get BT to fix )-:

No and seeing some ofd the people that Openwretch employ that is not
surprising in the slightest from what I saw the other week!...

I also have a friend who could literally throw a brick through his
exchanges window, yet some days his sync rate drops to next to nothing
which screws the BRAS profile for a while for him.

On the flip-side, I have a customer who is 800m from their BT exchange,
over a busy road, and they're getting 22Mb/sec sync rate... Sometimes
it's just not fair.

And while I want a long, hot summer, I know that in periods of dry
weather, my line will deteriorate (as it has done in the past), so I
suspect there's a junction box in the way that's a bit damp, and when it
dries out, maybe something goes high resistance or has a diode effect...

Gordon

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
PCPaul coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 23:46:13 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 07:40:24 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

Now we're moving to 8 meg (from 1 meg) it might become more of a
limiter
Unless you are pretty close to the exchnage you won't get 8Mbps. Those
magic 6pt words "up to" next to the 72pt "8Mbps", though I think Ofcom
might have tried to stop that sort of advertising now.

The exchange used to be at theend of our 100' garden, and our phone line
went direct from the house to the exchange via overhead cable. I got
6.5Mbps.

Athough I haven't tested the actual throughput yet, I'm getting a sync rate
of 7.5 MBit/sec on a short hop of old overhead line, and the exchange is
1/2 mile away.

At my last place we were about a mile from the exchange, and I got a
rock solid 8Mb connection. Shame the same can't be said of here, where
even 2Mb would be nice!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

It'll be a while before home grade computers will manages to make much use
of 10gig

Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig and three computers on
it I find that I can use all that I have. So I am not sure where your
information is comming from.

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

Athough I haven't tested the actual throughput yet, I'm getting a sync
rate of 7.5 MBit/sec on a short hop of old overhead line, and the
exchange is 1/2 mile away.

At my last place we were about a mile from the exchange, and I got a
rock solid 8Mb connection. Shame the same can't be said of here, where
even 2Mb would be nice!

Given the state of the wires, I'm quite pleased with 7.5 - beats Pembury.

I was expecting worse
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerome Meekings coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

It'll be a while before home grade computers will manages to make much
use of 10gig

Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig and three computers on
it I find that I can use all that I have. So I am not sure where your
information is comming from.

It came from me, about 4 years ago when I was building NFS servers.

I topped out at about 2 and a bit gig actual useful bandwidth serving NFS
using server grade Intel Pro 1000 cards (4 bonded) on a dual Xeon platform
with 16GB RAM. That was after tuning the drivers, enabling interrupt
coalescing etc, serving repeatedly from cache.

I expect Opteron hardware would have done better, but the busses in the
servers I had available would never shift 10 gig.

None of my PCs here can even saturate a gig link - mostly because the
inbuilt NICs are crap - but even so, consumer grade hardware just is not
upto it.

What are you running, and where - that you have 100gig? Even at Imperial
College, our link to campus was only 1 gig (possibly 10 gig now and we did
have 10 gig links within the backbone of our dept - I left over 2 years
ago) and the link to the London MAN wasn't much more than a couple of gig
at the time.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerome Meekings wrote:

Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig

802.3ba is still a work in progress, I know Japan trounces the UK for
fast internet access to the home, but how do you have access to 100Gb fibre?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerome Meekings wrote:
Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig and three computers on
it I find that I can use all that I have. So I am not sure where your
information is comming from.

Having a link at work in the low 10s I normally find that the limit is
the web site at the other end. Many of them seem to be T1 (1.5mbit) -
although the Beeb and Micro$oft go pleasingly fast.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Jerome Meekings wrote:
Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig and three computers on
it I find that I can use all that I have. So I am not sure where your
information is comming from.

Having a link at work in the low 10s I normally find that the limit is
the web site at the other end. Many of them seem to be T1 (1.5mbit) -
although the Beeb and Micro$oft go pleasingly fast.

Andy

The main sites that do downloadable stuff are a LOT faster than
that..linux and other software downloads are generally as fast as my
link allows.

And I noticed a DISTINCT improvement when I went from a 10Mbps
hub/router to a 100Mbps switch for talking to the 'office server'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

Andy Champ wrote:
Jerome Meekings wrote:
Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig and three computers on
it I find that I can use all that I have. So I am not sure where your
information is comming from.

Having a link at work in the low 10s I normally find that the limit is
the web site at the other end. Many of them seem to be T1 (1.5mbit) -
although the Beeb and Micro$oft go pleasingly fast.

Andy

The main sites that do downloadable stuff are a LOT faster than
that..linux and other software downloads are generally as fast as my
link allows.

And I noticed a DISTINCT improvement when I went from a 10Mbps
hub/router to a 100Mbps switch for talking to the 'office server'

He was talking about 100 gig, not 100 meg.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Jerome Meekings wrote:
Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig and three computers on
it I find that I can use all that I have. So I am not sure where your
information is comming from.

Having a link at work in the low 10s I normally find that the limit is
the web site at the other end. Many of them seem to be T1 (1.5mbit) -
although the Beeb and Micro$oft go pleasingly fast.

Andy

The main sites that do downloadable stuff are a LOT faster than
that..linux and other software downloads are generally as fast as my
link allows.

And I noticed a DISTINCT improvement when I went from a 10Mbps
hub/router to a 100Mbps switch for talking to the 'office server'

He was talking about 100 gig, not 100 meg.

I know.
So waht..
I was replying to the point that more than 10meg on the router was a
waste. It aint. Not if its a hub..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

What are you running, and where - that you have 100gig?

I am in Tokyo where 100gig fiber is usual and FWIW cost about 45pounds a
month
--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Jerome Meekings wrote:

Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig

802.3ba is still a work in progress, I know Japan trounces the UK for
fast internet access to the home, but how do you have access to 100Gb fibre?

You got it I'm in Tokyo and fiber or cable at 100gig is the current
standard and is under 50 quid a month. I have had fiber for about a year
now and that replaced 50gig ADSL (true 5gig)
--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerome Meekings wrote:

You got it I'm in Tokyo and fiber or cable at 100gig is the current
standard and is under 50 quid a month. I have had fiber for about a year
now and that replaced 50gig ADSL (true 5gig)

Any possibility of a link to a Tokyo ISP providing that service?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

What are you running, and where - that you have 100gig?

I am in Tokyo where 100gig fiber is usual and FWIW cost about 45pounds a
month

You b*stard ;-

I suppose they need it for all those bukkake videos though, whatever they
are...

However, I'll ask a different question - what is the fastest sustained
bitrate you have managed to *one* of your PCs (that's user space bitrate,
ie throughput on an open TCP stream?)

Do you use TOE (TCP offload engine cards).

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jerome Meekings scribeth thus
Andy Burns wrote:

Jerome Meekings wrote:

Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig

802.3ba is still a work in progress, I know Japan trounces the UK for
fast internet access to the home, but how do you have access to 100Gb fibre?

You got it I'm in Tokyo and fiber or cable at 100gig is the current
standard and is under 50 quid a month. I have had fiber for about a year
now and that replaced 50gig ADSL (true 5gig)

Is it really that life changing those sort of speeds?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer coughed up some electrons that declared:

Andy Burns wrote:

Jerome Meekings wrote:

Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig

802.3ba is still a work in progress, I know Japan trounces the UK for
fast internet access to the home, but how do you have access to 100Gb
fibre?

You got it I'm in Tokyo and fiber or cable at 100gig is the current
standard and is under 50 quid a month. I have had fiber for about a year
now and that replaced 50gig ADSL (true 5gig)

Is it really that life changing those sort of speeds?..

Or could it be that he's talking ********?

No-one on the planet has 50gbit/sec DSL, because it doesn;t exist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerome Meekings wrote:

I am in Tokyo where 100gig fiber is usual and FWIW cost about 45pounds a
month

I can see providers such as www.hikari-one.com and asahi-net.jp offering
100Mbps fibre (approx 6000Y = 40GBP per month for single houses, about
half price for apartment blocks) and 1Gbps copper (approx 5000Y = 30GBP
per month for single houses, just over half price for apartment blocks).

But I can't see anyone offering 10Gbps fibre let alone 100Gbps fibre,
are you *sure* you've not got your units mixed up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerome Meekings wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Jerome Meekings wrote:

Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig

802.3ba is still a work in progress, I know Japan trounces the UK for
fast internet access to the home, but how do you have access to 100Gb fibre?

You got it I'm in Tokyo and fiber or cable at 100gig is the current
standard and is under 50 quid a month. I have had fiber for about a year
now and that replaced 50gig ADSL (true 5gig)

ADSL is by definition not fiber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerome Meekings wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Jerome Meekings wrote:

Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig
802.3ba is still a work in progress, I know Japan trounces the UK for
fast internet access to the home, but how do you have access to 100Gb
fibre?

You got it I'm in Tokyo and fiber or cable at 100gig is the current
standard and is under 50 quid a month. I have had fiber for about a year
now and that replaced 50gig ADSL (true 5gig)

ADSL is by definition not fiber.

ADSL is by definition Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line and says nothing
about the technology used.
It is true that in the UK (nearly) all the ADSL is delivered over telephony
lines.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

You b*stard ;-

Fun isn't it ;-)

I suppose they need it for all those bukkake videos though, whatever they
are...

However, I'll ask a different question - what is the fastest sustained
bitrate you have managed to *one* of your PCs (that's user space bitrate,
ie throughput on an open TCP stream?)

Sorry I use Macs so I am not sure how to get that information. However
using speed checking sites using a gigabit lan at a busy time I just got
26Mbps and using an 802.11g network I get 3.2Mbps

Do you use TOE (TCP offload engine cards).

Cheers

Tim

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Jerome Meekings wrote:

I am in Tokyo where 100gig fiber is usual and FWIW cost about 45pounds a
month

I can see providers such as www.hikari-one.com and asahi-net.jp offering
100Mbps fibre (approx 6000Y = 40GBP per month for single houses, about
half price for apartment blocks) and 1Gbps copper (approx 5000Y = 30GBP
per month for single houses, just over half price for apartment blocks).

But I can't see anyone offering 10Gbps fibre let alone 100Gbps fibre,
are you *sure* you've not got your units mixed up?

Sorry it is 100Mbps
--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerome Meekings coughed up some electrons that declared:

Sorry it is 100Mbps

You BIG wibbler! ;-

You had us thinking that you had access to some CISCO or university test
network...

Your PC/MAC can amange 100meg. My older PCs can punt about 400megbit/sec
through their gog NICs but not much more.

The best I ever got a server to shift was a couple of gigabits over bonded
links.

At least you fessed..

You're still a lucky b*stard though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerome Meekings wrote:

Sorry it is 100Mbps

Ah!

We have gigabit all over the office, and we frequently saturate that.
My son (compsci student) has it all over his shared house, and _they_
saturate that too. It'd be nice on the internet - but I still think the
other end will often be the limit.

Andy

output inductors and Zobel networks William Sommerwerck Electronics Repair 0 June 9th 08 03:34 AM
Telephones dead JohnR66 Home Repair 3 January 8th 05 11:08 PM
Microcontroller networks Will Rouesnel Electronics 8 November 29th 04 03:39 AM
Distant TV networks from satellite company C. Brunner Home Repair 2 January 21st 04 05:46 AM
Telephones Geoff Hackett Electronics 2 September 10th 03 03:20 PM