Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Telephones and networks

Jerome Meekings coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

It'll be a while before home grade computers will manages to make much
use of 10gig

Having 100gig fiber that gets a real 38 to 45gig and three computers on
it I find that I can use all that I have. So I am not sure where your
information is comming from.

It came from me, about 4 years ago when I was building NFS servers.

I topped out at about 2 and a bit gig actual useful bandwidth serving NFS
using server grade Intel Pro 1000 cards (4 bonded) on a dual Xeon platform
with 16GB RAM. That was after tuning the drivers, enabling interrupt
coalescing etc, serving repeatedly from cache.

I expect Opteron hardware would have done better, but the busses in the
servers I had available would never shift 10 gig.

None of my PCs here can even saturate a gig link - mostly because the
inbuilt NICs are crap - but even so, consumer grade hardware just is not
upto it.

What are you running, and where - that you have 100gig? Even at Imperial
College, our link to campus was only 1 gig (possibly 10 gig now and we did
have 10 gig links within the backbone of our dept - I left over 2 years
ago) and the link to the London MAN wasn't much more than a couple of gig
at the time.

Cheers

Tim