Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Telephones and networks

In article , Gordon Henderson
scribeth thus
In article ,
Tim S wrote:
PCPaul coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 23:46:13 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 07:40:24 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

Now we're moving to 8 meg (from 1 meg) it might become more of a
limiter

Unless you are pretty close to the exchnage you won't get 8Mbps. Those
magic 6pt words "up to" next to the 72pt "8Mbps", though I think Ofcom
might have tried to stop that sort of advertising now.

The exchange used to be at theend of our 100' garden, and our phone line
went direct from the house to the exchange via overhead cable. I got
6.5Mbps.

Athough I haven't tested the actual throughput yet, I'm getting a sync rate
of 7.5 MBit/sec on a short hop of old overhead line, and the exchange is
1/2 mile away.

I'd suggest there is a wiring fault somewhere, as at those distances you
ought to be getting a solid 8Mb/sec sync speed. I'm 600 metres from my
exchange as the crow flies, all underground bar the last hop from a
pole, and I know the wire path is a bit longer and I get 8Mb/sec - just,
but my neighbours get a much better SNR than I do, so I know there is
a cabling fault somewhere - trouble is, it's the sort of fault you just
can't get BT to fix )-:

No and seeing some ofd the people that Openwretch employ that is not
surprising in the slightest from what I saw the other week!...

I also have a friend who could literally throw a brick through his
exchanges window, yet some days his sync rate drops to next to nothing
which screws the BRAS profile for a while for him.

On the flip-side, I have a customer who is 800m from their BT exchange,
over a busy road, and they're getting 22Mb/sec sync rate... Sometimes
it's just not fair.

And while I want a long, hot summer, I know that in periods of dry
weather, my line will deteriorate (as it has done in the past), so I
suspect there's a junction box in the way that's a bit damp, and when it
dries out, maybe something goes high resistance or has a diode effect...

Gordon

--
Tony Sayer