Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default non-toxic waterproof ply

Need to replace plywood bird table top.
I already have some ordinary plywood -- is there any varnish
which will make this waterproof enough to use outside without
peeling apart (as the current one has)?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 June, 12:43, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Need to replace plywood bird table top.
I already have some ordinary plywood -- is there any varnish
which will make this waterproof enough to use outside without
peeling apart (as the current one has)?

Kids' poster paint on the top surface, epoxy resin around the edges.
As always, water gets in through the end grain, and in the case of
plywood through the inter-lam gluelines. Seriously though, you can use
almost anything on top, but do those edges well.

Then make the edge lip so that the corners are gapped and give it a
slight slope so that water doesn't pool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rad Rad is offline

On 10 June, 15:36, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 June, 12:43, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Need to replace plywood bird table top.
I already have some ordinary plywood -- is there any varnish
which will make this waterproof enough to use outside without
peeling apart (as the current one has)?

Kids' poster paint on the top surface, epoxy resin around the edges.
As always, water gets in through the end grain, and in the case of
plywood through the inter-lam gluelines. Seriously though, you can use
almost anything on top, but do those edges well.

Then make the edge lip so that the corners are gapped and give it a
slight slope so that water doesn't pool.

Dear Andrew
What is wrong with "weather and boil proof" [WPB]?
There are no chemicals classified as toxic in it
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rad" wrote in message
On 10 June, 15:36, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 June, 12:43, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Need to replace plywood bird table top.
I already have some ordinary plywood -- is there any varnish
which will make this waterproof enough to use outside without
peeling apart (as the current one has)?

Kids' poster paint on the top surface, epoxy resin around the edges.
As always, water gets in through the end grain, and in the case of
plywood through the inter-lam gluelines. Seriously though, you can use
almost anything on top, but do those edges well.

Then make the edge lip so that the corners are gapped and give it a
slight slope so that water doesn't pool.

Dear Andrew
What is wrong with "weather and boil proof" [WPB]?
There are no chemicals classified as toxic in it

It's just the name on the product, it isn't at all really. Bit like 100m
water rated watches. Personally I would use marine ply and seal the edges
(or just use the cheap stuff covered as suggested, and replace every now and
then).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

It's just the name on the product, it isn't at all really. Bit like 100m
water rated watches.

What's wrong with them?
You don't think the 100m is something to do with the depth do you?
It isn't.

BTW I used some chipboard to make some temporary shelves in an aviary.
They only needed to last a bit so I wasn't worried.
I chucked them in March after being out in the weather for three years and
they were still sound.
I have no idea where I got the stuff but it must be all resin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

It's just the name on the product, it isn't at all really. Bit like 100m
water rated watches.

What's wrong with them?
You don't think the 100m is something to do with the depth do you?
It isn't.

Err no, that was my point - do you deliberately argue with people no matter
whether they agree with you or not?

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 June, 14:32, "dennis@home"
wrote:

BTW I used some chipboard to make some temporary shelves in an aviary.

Always had you down as more of a belfry chap...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:
BTW I used some chipboard to make some temporary shelves in an aviary.
They only needed to last a bit so I wasn't worried.
I chucked them in March after being out in the weather for three years and
they were still sound.
I have no idea where I got the stuff but it must be all resin.

The bathroom grade chipboard is like that.
When I moved in, a block wall was soaking (shower leak), and the
skirting and carpet grippers in next room all rotten, and thus
presumably like that for years. The chipboard floor on which the
wall was standing had a large wet patch and larger stained area,
but that's all still rock solid.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

It's just the name on the product, it isn't at all really. Bit like
100m water rated watches.

What's wrong with them?
You don't think the 100m is something to do with the depth do you? It
isn't.

Err no, that was my point - do you deliberately argue with people no
matter whether they agree with you or not?

But the 100m *is* a proper tested (well, designed and sampled) value -
the fact that most people don't understand the concept of static pressure
isn't a reason not to use it. Although maybe it should be.

But imagine a world dumbed down to the point where *everybody* understood
everything. Yuck. You could say goodbye to cars, the Internet, TV etc.
etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
On 10 June, 12:43, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Need to replace plywood bird table top.
I already have some ordinary plywood -- is there any varnish
which will make this waterproof enough to use outside without
peeling apart (as the current one has)?

Kids' poster paint on the top surface, epoxy resin around the edges.

What type of paint is kids' poster paint?
I would have guessed it's something designed to wash out,
but that doesn't seem to make sense in this context.

As always, water gets in through the end grain, and in the case of
plywood through the inter-lam gluelines. Seriously though, you can use
almost anything on top, but do those edges well.

Then make the edge lip so that the corners are gapped and give it a
slight slope so that water doesn't pool.

Cheers.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I already have some ordinary plywood -- is there any varnish
which will make this waterproof enough to use outside without
peeling apart (as the current one has)?

Flowcoat it with epoxy (not polyester resin), then carnish it with
polyurethane. I've had a WBP plywood hatch treated that way on my boat
for the last twelve years, it still looks like new.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 June, 14:32, "dennis@home"
wrote:

BTW I used some chipboard to make some temporary shelves in an
aviary.

Always had you down as more of a belfry chap...

ROFLMAO!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 8:17*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Andy Dingley writes:

On 10 June, 12:43, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Need to replace plywood bird table top.
I already have some ordinary plywood -- is there any varnish
which will make this waterproof enough to use outside without
peeling apart (as the current one has)?

Kids' poster paint on the top surface, epoxy resin around the edges.

What type of paint is kids' poster paint?
I would have guessed it's something designed to wash out,
but that doesn't seem to make sense in this context.

I think Mr Dingly was trying to suggest that the paint on top doesn't
need to have any water resistance at all. It's all about whether the
endgrain is protected or not.