Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Bonner Martin Bonner is offline

Default non-toxic waterproof ply

On Jun 11, 8:17*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Andy Dingley writes:

On 10 June, 12:43, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Need to replace plywood bird table top.
I already have some ordinary plywood -- is there any varnish
which will make this waterproof enough to use outside without
peeling apart (as the current one has)?

Kids' poster paint on the top surface, epoxy resin around the edges.

What type of paint is kids' poster paint?
I would have guessed it's something designed to wash out,
but that doesn't seem to make sense in this context.

I think Mr Dingly was trying to suggest that the paint on top doesn't
need to have any water resistance at all. It's all about whether the
endgrain is protected or not.

As always, water gets in through the end grain, and in the case of
plywood through the inter-lam gluelines. Seriously though, you can use
almost anything on top, but do those edges well.

Then make the edge lip so that the corners are gapped and give it a
slight slope so that water doesn't pool.

Cheers.

--
Andrew Gabriel