Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher pressure chamber.

Hi there,

Our 6 year old Siemens integrated dishwasher broke down and today it
got repaired, I came home from school and I found out that he replaced
the "pressure chamber", the old one was on the worktop.

I am interested to find out what that part actually does, so could
anyone explain please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 14:21:15 -0700 (PDT), David
wrote:

Hi there,

Our 6 year old Siemens integrated dishwasher broke down and today it
got repaired, I came home from school and I found out that he replaced
the "pressure chamber", the old one was on the worktop.

I am interested to find out what that part actually does, so could
anyone explain please?

A piccy might help.

Without one my guess is it's the device that checks if the water has
reached the correct fill level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi there,

Our 6 year old Siemens integrated dishwasher broke down and today it
got repaired, I came home from school and I found out that he replaced
the "pressure chamber", the old one was on the worktop.

I am interested to find out what that part actually does, so could
anyone explain please?

A piccy might help.

Without one my guess is it's the device that checks if the water has
reached the correct fill level.

Thanks, it is exactly like this one: http://www.homespare.com/Pictures/thumb/50141.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi there,

Our 6 year old Siemens integrated dishwasher broke down and today it
got repaired, I came home from school and I found out that he replaced
the "pressure chamber", the old one was on the worktop.

I am interested to find out what that part actually does, so could
anyone explain please?

A piccy might help.

Without one my guess is it's the device that checks if the water has
reached the correct fill level.

Thanks, it is exactly like this one: http://www.homespare.com/Pictures/thumb/50141.jpg

I guessed right!
Looks very similar to one in my Neff dishwasher.
The red part is actually a float.
When the machine fills with water the float rises and activates a
microswitch to turn the water off.

My Neff stopped washing properly and I fixed it by giving that part a
good clean. It had been covered in grease and muck which caused it
activate the trigger when there was too little water, which in turn
lead to a very weak spray.

I'd tried dishwasher cleaner but it never touched this area of the
machine.

Can't recall what the yellow bit does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 3 June, 23:04, wrote:
A piccy might help.

Without one my guess is it's the device that checks if the water has
reached the correct fill level.

Thanks, it is exactly like this one:
http://www.homespare.com/Pictures/thumb/50141.jpg

The red part is actually a float.
When the machine fills with water the float rises and activates a
microswitch to turn the water off.

Can't recall what the yellow bit does.

It operates the other microswitch: dishwashers need to sense
both "enough water to wash" and "drained properly".

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, it was filled with grease but the guy who repaired it (from
Siemens I believe) just replaced it instead of cleaning it.

On the packet was written: Original pressure chamber, suitable for
Neff, Bosch and Siemens.