Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drain inspection chamber

At least I think that's what it's called ! I need help in getting
one.

Elderly drains (cca 70 years) which have a 90 deg bend at the end of
the house alongside the road heading off to my septic tank. A broken
join a metre downstream of the bend has had to be dealt with, and as
there is no surface access at this point I was intending to replace
the bend with plastic and put in a rodding eye. However a passing
drain man (just happened to be going in next door to sort out their
drains (!) , and kindly showing professional interest) has suggested
there would be less work in putting in a plastic inspection chamber.

Can someone tell me please what I should be asking for and how it
should be seated above the access cover in the existing 90 deg bend.

Thanks

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from robgraham contains these words:

At least I think that's what it's called ! I need help in getting
one.

Elderly drains (cca 70 years) which have a 90 deg bend at the end of
the house alongside the road heading off to my septic tank. A broken
join a metre downstream of the bend has had to be dealt with, and as
there is no surface access at this point I was intending to replace
the bend with plastic and put in a rodding eye. However a passing
drain man (just happened to be going in next door to sort out their
drains (!) , and kindly showing professional interest) has suggested
there would be less work in putting in a plastic inspection chamber.

Can someone tell me please what I should be asking for and how it
should be seated above the access cover in the existing 90 deg bend.

Plastic inspection chambers are common but I can't remember ever seeing
a reference to one that just contained a bend, just branch connections.

If no one comes up with a plastic source you could build your own
inspection chamber the old fashioned way with a brick surround, an open
flaunched slow bend at the bottom and a conventional manhole cover
above.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar, 08:23, Roger wrote:
[...]

Hi Roger
What the guy seemed to be suggesting is that I could get an inspection
chamber that I just sat on top of a bit of new concrete surrounding
the existing bend, and then flaunching it in. Going the brick route
is more work than replacing the bend with a plastic junction and
putting in a rodding eye :)

Thanks

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

What the guy seemed to be suggesting is that I could get an inspection
chamber that I just sat on top of a bit of new concrete surrounding
the existing bend, and then flaunching it in. Going the brick route
is more work than replacing the bend with a plastic junction and
putting in a rodding eye :)

Speaking of rodding, There seems to be a rodding point in my
kitchen.

My soil pipe runs vertically, boxed-in, in the corner of the
kitchen. When I prised the plywood off, as it was a convenient
route to run a new earth cable, I discovered to my surprise that
the plastic pipe had been provided with a rodding access. The
pipe is then routed to an external inspection chamber at least 2
metres deep, so I guess the access is for the right angle bend
buried pretty deep.

I am having a new kitchen fitted soon, and that corner will have
a reduced depth unit, so as to avoid the piping. As standard,
the carcase will have a solid back. I am wondering if I should
ask that means be provided of getting to the rodding point, or if
the worktop etc would still be such an obstacle that I should
simply forget about it - after all I only discovered it by
accident.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from robgraham contains these words:

What the guy seemed to be suggesting is that I could get an inspection
chamber that I just sat on top of a bit of new concrete surrounding
the existing bend, and then flaunching it in. Going the brick route
is more work than replacing the bend with a plastic junction and
putting in a rodding eye :)

I installed a plastic inspection chamber not that long ago. It consisted
of a base, an extension tube (could have been more than on if I needed
greater depth) and a lid. Came from my local builders merchant. I
presume the bits are available seperately.

Mine was only about a foot diameter but I presume there must be larger
versions available.

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 01:08:50 -0800 (PST), a particular chimpanzee,
robgraham randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

What the guy seemed to be suggesting is that I could get an inspection
chamber that I just sat on top of a bit of new concrete surrounding
the existing bend, and then flaunching it in. Going the brick route
is more work than replacing the bend with a plastic junction and
putting in a rodding eye :)

A properly constructed in-situ chamber needs to have a concrete base,
with a half-channel bedded on concrete and benched up. The sides of
the chamber are then two courses of brick, with the pipe having rocker
sections either side.

The alternative is a prefabricated chamber (which has the channels and
benching in the base, and collars at the exit of the chamber).

What your guy seems to be suggesting is the worst of both solutions;
slapping a bit of mortar around an open channel with plastic rings
above. Chances are the pipe will move relative to the 'benching',
allowing the sewage an easy place to leak into the ground or tree
roots to get in.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar, 19:08, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
[...]

Did some investigation today and decided that my first choice is
financially and technically better even if there's more digging to
do. A reasonable size plastic inspection chamber and cover are
approaching £100. Going the rodding eye route will be a bit more
involved in replacing the offending SG bend with a plastic junction
etc but it avoids this benching etc and will I suspect be easier to
rod if required in future.

Thanks for your comments, guys

Rob