Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BCO and access chamber

I have used a mini-access chamber 300mm diameter (floplast from
screwfix). Max height 600mm (in line with building regs). All exposed
at present / no infill. The drain was a little deeper than I thought
and and height from invert to ground level is around 700mm. Max height
with risers = 600mm, but I am going to use an inset lid over the whole
thing anyway, to contain the patio paviours, i.e. there will be the
plastic lid and another cover over.
How likely is it that the BCO will fuss about the depth from ground
being a little over 600mm ?
Thanks,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Apr, 20:34, Bruce wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

I have used a mini-access chamber 300mm diameter (floplast from
screwfix). Max height 600mm (in line with building regs). All exposed
at present / no infill. The drain was a little deeper than I thought
and and height from invert to ground level is around 700mm. Max height
with risers = 600mm, but I am going to use an inset lid over the whole
thing anyway, to contain the patio paviours, i.e. there will be the
plastic lid and another cover over.
How likely is it that the BCO will fuss about the depth from ground
being a little over 600mm ?

Why not ask them?

For some reason I never consider just phoning them outside of the
inspections. But its still good to get some idea first so you can
choose
your approach !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

On 18 Apr, 20:34, Bruce wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

I have used a mini-access chamber 300mm diameter (floplast from
screwfix). Max height 600mm (in line with building regs). All exposed
at present / no infill. The drain was a little deeper than I thought
and and height from invert to ground level is around 700mm. Max height
with risers = 600mm, but I am going to use an inset lid over the whole
thing anyway, to contain the patio paviours, i.e. there will be the
plastic lid and another cover over.
How likely is it that the BCO will fuss about the depth from ground
being a little over 600mm ?

Why not ask them?

For some reason I never consider just phoning them outside of the
inspections. But its still good to get some idea first so you can
choose your approach !

I think most of them prefer to be asked, rather than find a problem at
an inspection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

On 18 Apr, 20:34, Bruce wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

I have used a mini-access chamber 300mm diameter (floplast from
screwfix). Max height 600mm (in line with building regs). All exposed
at present / no infill. The drain was a little deeper than I thought
and and height from invert to ground level is around 700mm. Max height
with risers = 600mm, but I am going to use an inset lid over the whole
thing anyway, to contain the patio paviours, i.e. there will be the
plastic lid and another cover over.
How likely is it that the BCO will fuss about the depth from ground
being a little over 600mm ?
Why not ask them?

For some reason I never consider just phoning them outside of the
inspections. But its still good to get some idea first so you can
choose your approach !

I think most of them prefer to be asked, rather than find a problem at
an inspection.

I certainly agree with that; however it runs the risk of not getting the
answer you want! Eg, if the OP asks the question directly, he might be
told no, 700mm is too much, whereupon he has no option but to do the
needful; on the other hand if he doesn't ask, the BCO might not notice
or care about the extra height and he could get away with it.

(I haven't a clue how significant the actual issue is, BTW)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 23:02:38 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, Bruce
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

sm_jamieson wrote:

I have used a mini-access chamber 300mm diameter (floplast from
screwfix). Max height 600mm (in line with building regs).

How likely is it that the BCO will fuss about the depth from ground
being a little over 600mm ?

I think most of them prefer to be asked, rather than find a problem at
an inspection.

However with something like this, if you phone up and ask the
question, "is it acceptable to install a 300mm diameter chamber deeper
than the maximum?", you're likely to get a negative answer.

OP: OTOH, if you were to install it, it might not be picked up on the
inspection. OTOOH, it might. "Ya pays ya money...".

Think about why a wider chamber is called for at greater depths, and
try this little experiment: lying on the ground, can you get your hand
to the bottom of the channel? If you can't, how are you going to be
able to clear a blockage if it did occur?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
I have used a mini-access chamber 300mm diameter (floplast from
screwfix). Max height 600mm (in line with building regs). All exposed
at present / no infill. The drain was a little deeper than I thought
and and height from invert to ground level is around 700mm. Max height
with risers = 600mm, but I am going to use an inset lid over the whole
thing anyway, to contain the patio paviours, i.e. there will be the
plastic lid and another cover over.
How likely is it that the BCO will fuss about the depth from ground
being a little over 600mm ?

No idea but here is how I solved a similar problem.

http://www.polypipe.com/polypipe/con...ERRAIN-Marscar

The bottom outlet means the inlets don't need to be so deep resulting in
less digging for the inlet trenches.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

Well, I've sent him an email saying I've done it and realised after it
was a little deeper.
To be honest the final ground level is a little uncertain anyway. The
house next door
does not use a 450mm chamber at the same location for the drain.
Also, do people really get down into a 450mm chamber to clear it ?
More likely to
poke with sticks I would have thought. And my arm is over 700mm long.
Also of course the issue of bending the drain rod in a smaller
diameter chamber is
relevant.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Apr, 09:31, Lobster wrote:
Bruce wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

On 18 Apr, 20:34, Bruce wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

Well, the original BCO did not reply (still working there ?) so I sent
it to the general building control email address, and some numpty
there said "it appears you have used an unsuitable chamber" etc, so I
will have to change it. I thought about lowering the ground level by
100mm, and it will be lowered slightly anyway in fact, but it would
look like and would in fact be, an attempt to beat the system. Which
you cannot ! Another 100 quid then !
Simon.