Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Securing UTP network cable on internal run

I'm going to be running some UTP Ethernet cable from one room on the first
floor to another room on the same floor. Total length of the run is about
16 metres. I'm planning to use cat5e because it has a smaller diameter and
menimum bend radius than cat6, which should make for an easier and neater
job. I'm planning to run the cable on top of the skirting boards and around
the edges of the door frames. Both the skirting and door frames are wood.

My question is: what is the best way to fix the cable? I've seen BT use a
staple gun for their voice-grade cable, and that gives a nice tidy
appearance, but I think you are not supposed to staple cat 5 cable. The
alternative seems to be cable clips, but that doesn't sound like a good
solution as the cable clips will be about twice the diameter of the cable.
I've also heard of people using a hot-melt glue gun, but that sounds like a
bodge to me.

Any pointers on the best solution? Are cable clips the only way, or is
there a better option?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 May 2009 18:41:44 UTC, Caecilius
wrote:

[...]

You can get cable clips suitable for round section cable. And for
different diameters...I have 5mm, 6mm and 7mm in the box. Choose
whatever you need....

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius coughed up some electrons that declared:

Any pointers on the best solution? Are cable clips the only way, or is
there a better option?

D-Line trunking is quite nice, but not cheap - Homebase usually have it.

Hot glue won't hurt the cable, and round clips as Bob said are available.

HTH

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 May, 19:41, Caecilius wrote:
[...]

Hi Caecilius

"There are specialized staplers for CAT 5, 5e, and 6 cable. I have
the Acme 25AC (Product Review) and Arrow T-59 staplers and both work
fine."
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/cableclip.htm

Best regards to Metella and Quintus,

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Caecilius" wrote in message
[...]

The best solution is to find a cable path that isn't visible and use no
clips at all.

Like inside the walls or under the floors.
Yes, it's a bit of hassle.

Failing that, correctly sized clips are the best option.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Best regards to Metella and Quintus,

:-)

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 May 2009 20:58:54 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:

The best solution is to find a cable path that isn't visible and use no
clips at all.

I'd agree with that but if the skirting is ogee run the cable along the
top large curve and it "disappears" once painted. Far more so than if it's
tacked along the top againts the wall.

Failing that, correctly sized clips are the best option.

Proper round topped cable staples are fine and neater. Though buying a
suitable stapler for a 16m run is probably a bit excessive. You could use
round topped staples of a suitable size and a hammer just gently nip the
cable and don't bash it with a missed hammer blow.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 00:05:16 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
had this to say:

Proper round topped cable staples are fine and neater. Though buying a
suitable stapler for a 16m run is probably a bit excessive. You could use
round topped staples of a suitable size and a hammer just gently nip the
cable and don't bash it with a missed hammer blow.

I agree. For a "one-off" job buying a stapler is overkill. Cleats of
numerous sizes are readily available - used with a 'staple hammer'
they'd be almost as quick as a stapler. For an horizontal run, the
length of the hammer handle is a guide to the correct distance between
cleats; a vertical run the distance can be a bit more.
If you get cleats that are suitably sized for the cable there'll be
little sag resulting from cable pulling through the cleats.

For a shorter run, in the past I've used Bostik No. 1 (clear adhesive)
to stick 4W telephone cable to a curved stone wall in a farmhouse - it
was remarkably inconspicuous, AISIM.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Caecilius
scribeth thus
[...]

You can use cable staple clips just make sure they only "just" hold the
cable and don't compress it. Hot melt glue is fine as well and is an
adaptive answer to the job and not a bodge at all..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 May, 20:50, wrote:

Best regards to Metella and Quintus,

It'll be poor old Grumio having to do all the cabling though