Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Securing end of cable help (bolt)

Hi,

I am about to install my on sky dish and want to secure the cable the screws
onto the LNB bottom of dish. It screws onto the bottom of the dish using a
f-connector and want to know what I can use to seal it in place. Do I need
something like loc-tite?

Any advice welcomed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:59:59 +0100 someone who may be "Goofee"
wrote this:-

I am about to install my on sky dish

Unlikely. Sky tend to control such things so they are only installed
by registered staff.

Presumably a satellite dish. The distinction is important as BSkyB
are just a small part of satellite television/radio.

and want to secure the cable the screws
onto the LNB bottom of dish. It screws onto the bottom of the dish using a
f-connector and want to know what I can use to seal it in place. Do I need
something like loc-tite?

Simply screw it up and push the cover over the top. You are using a
connector with a rubber boot designed for outdoor use I take it? If
not then invest in one. Many suppliers do them including Maplin, I
have even taken the trouble to look it up
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=2001&doy=11m7

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I am about to install my on sky dish

Unlikely. Sky tend to control such things so they are only installed
by registered staff.

Presumably a satellite dish. The distinction is important as BSkyB
are just a small part of satellite television/radio.

and want to secure the cable the screws
onto the LNB bottom of dish. It screws onto the bottom of the dish using a
f-connector and want to know what I can use to seal it in place. Do I need
something like loc-tite?

Simply screw it up and push the cover over the top. You are using a
connector with a rubber boot designed for outdoor use I take it? If
not then invest in one. Many suppliers do them including Maplin, I
have even taken the trouble to look it up

Rubber or plastic boots aren't very good - they can trap moisture
inside.
It's much better to use PIB (self-amalgamating) rubber tape, then a
layer of pvc or Denso tape for protection.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Goofee wrote:

I am about to install my on sky dish and want to secure the cable the screws
onto the LNB bottom of dish. It screws onto the bottom of the dish using a
f-connector and want to know what I can use to seal it in place. Do I need
something like loc-tite?

Self amalgamating tape is the thing to use. Stretch it as you wind it
round and it merges to form a waterproof rubberised boot. Far more
effective than the slide on boots.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:59:59 +0100, Goofee wrote:

I am about to install my on sky dish and want to secure the cable the
screws onto the LNB bottom of dish. It screws onto the bottom of the
dish using a f-connector and want to know what I can use to seal it in
place.

Well I think I know what you are asking but I'm not clear by any stretch
of the imagination.

*IF* you are talking about the F-connector to LNB then wrap it with self
amalgamting tape. Covering as much as the threaded socket as you can and
extending down over the connector and an inch onto the cable.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I am about to install my on sky dish

Unlikely. Sky tend to control such things so they are only installed
by registered staff.

Sky don't control what dish I put up. I bought my own dish and am about to
install it simple as tbh. Theres no law against anyone else putting up a sky
dish. Do you think every has 3 weeks to wait for a sky appointment and a
clumsy incompetant installer whos aparantly skilled ?

Presumably a satellite dish. The distinction is important as BSkyB
are just a small part of satellite television/radio.

and want to secure the cable the screws
onto the LNB bottom of dish. It screws onto the bottom of the dish using a
f-connector and want to know what I can use to seal it in place. Do I need
something like loc-tite?

Simply screw it up and push the cover over the top. You are using a
connector with a rubber boot designed for outdoor use I take it? If
not then invest in one. Many suppliers do them including Maplin, I
have even taken the trouble to look it up
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=2001&doy=11m7

Aparantly the ruber boots cause moisture. It's been suggested to use some
self-amalgamating tape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David Hansen
writes
wrote this:-

I am about to install my on sky dish

Unlikely. Sky tend to control such things so they are only installed
by registered staff.

You can install your own dish for Sky if you want .. nothing to stop you
at all..

In fact your likely to make a much better job of it than the Sky
cowpokes...

Presumably a satellite dish. The distinction is important as BSkyB
are just a small part of satellite television/radio.

and want to secure the cable the screws
onto the LNB bottom of dish. It screws onto the bottom of the dish using a
f-connector and want to know what I can use to seal it in place. Do I need
something like loc-tite?

Use self weld tape fine for that job....
and a few tie wraps...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I am about to install my on sky dish

Unlikely. Sky tend to control such things so they are only installed
by registered staff.
snip incorrect advice

Stick to collecting train numbers Mr Hansen you clueless tw*t, anyone
can install a satellite dish, in fact some of the worst installations
have been done by BSkyB's supposed experts.

To the OP - As others have already pointed out, self amalgamating tape
is what should be used, just make sure that you stretch it correctly
as you wrap it around the connector and it's self.

Also make sure that you leave a 'dip loop' below the LNB and before
the cable passes through your outer wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:25:18 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

It's much better to use PIB (self-amalgamating) rubber tape, then a
layer of pvc or Denso tape for protection.

I've never found any requirement to protect self amalgamating tape. Even
when directly exposed to sunlight. Took some aerials down that had been
put up a good ten, maybe 15 years, and the SA tape was just a bit grubby.
Still sealed and no degradation.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:29:54 +0100, :Jerry: wrote:

Also make sure that you leave a 'dip loop' below the LNB and before
the cable passes through your outer wall.

Make that a "drip loop". B-) ie run the cable down past the hole and
back up to it. Similarly at the LNB make sure that the lowest point on the
cable is away from the LNB connector. This is to stop any water running
down the cable from entering the LNB or your wall. Don't bend the cable
with a radius less than a couple of inches. Bear this in mind when running
the cable down the wall to the hole, run it a few inches to one side.

Also when drilling the wall drill so the the hole outside is lower than
the one inside, encourages any wet that does get in to run out, not in.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Dave Liquorice formulated :
I've never found any requirement to protect self amalgamating tape. Even
when directly exposed to sunlight. Took some aerials down that had been
put up a good ten, maybe 15 years, and the SA tape was just a bit grubby.
Still sealed and no degradation.

I agree! I took one down last week for repair, which has been out in
the weather 11 years. The ladder line centre tapping from a long wire
dipole. The ladder line had snapped at the joint, but the tape had not
deteriorated nor had moisture managed to get to the joints terminal
bolts - they were as clean as the day I taped them.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Dave Liquorice wrote :
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:59:59 +0100, Goofee wrote:

I am about to install my on sky dish and want to secure the cable the
screws onto the LNB bottom of dish. It screws onto the bottom of the
dish using a f-connector and want to know what I can use to seal it in
place.

Well I think I know what you are asking but I'm not clear by any stretch
of the imagination.

*IF* you are talking about the F-connector to LNB then wrap it with self
amalgamting tape. Covering as much as the threaded socket as you can and
extending down over the connector and an inch onto the cable.

I don't know why they have the connector so exposed to moisture
tracking down the threads of the F connector into the cable. It cannot
be that difficult to design a boot which seals at the top of the thread
against the LNB, covering the connector completely and preventing any
ingress.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I've never found any requirement to protect self amalgamating tape. Even
when directly exposed to sunlight. Took some aerials down that had been
put up a good ten, maybe 15 years, and the SA tape was just a bit grubby.
Still sealed and no degradation.

It gets used by sailors to protect rigging screws. It doesn't degrade
despite being out in all weathers. Most materials dont' last long on a
boat because the combination of sun light, salt and damp degrades
materials quickly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

I don't know why they have the connector so exposed to moisture tracking
down the threads of the F connector into the cable. It cannot be that
difficult to design a boot which seals at the top of the thread against
the LNB, covering the connector completely and preventing any ingress.

The quad lnb Sky installed here has a retractable cover which telescope in
to get access and protects the connectors.
The installer still used tape to waterproof the connections.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry Bloomfield
writes
It happens that Dave Liquorice formulated :
I've never found any requirement to protect self amalgamating tape. Even
when directly exposed to sunlight. Took some aerials down that had been
put up a good ten, maybe 15 years, and the SA tape was just a bit grubby.
Still sealed and no degradation.

I agree! I took one down last week for repair, which has been out in
the weather 11 years. The ladder line centre tapping from a long wire
dipole. The ladder line had snapped at the joint, but the tape had not
deteriorated nor had moisture managed to get to the joints terminal
bolts - they were as clean as the day I taped them.

Beg to differ but I have seen it deteriorate over some years in exposed
locations on telecoms towers, but the formulation may have changed over
time.

Otherwise very good stuff
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:54:20 +0100 someone who may be "Goofee"
wrote this:-

Sky don't control what dish I put up.

As I said, they tend to. However, it has been some time since I
bothered to look at such gadgets. When I looked just now I see that
one can now buy them from suppliers and install them oneself, so my
mistake has been corrected.

Aparantly the ruber boots cause moisture. It's been suggested to use some
self-amalgamating tape.

They don't cause moisture. They may trap moisture if not installed
properly, but then so may any sort of tape.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:29:54 +0100 someone who may be ":Jerry:"
wrote this:-

Stick to collecting train numbers Mr Hansen you clueless tw*t,

Excellent, rudeness. Usually the resort of those with a limited
education.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Sky don't control what dish I put up.

As I said, they tend to. However, it has been some time since I
bothered to look at such gadgets. When I looked just now I see that
one can now buy them from suppliers and install them oneself, so my
mistake has been corrected.

I installed my own analogue sky dish so it has been a decade or two.

Sky offer ridiculously low installation charges anyway so most people will
go for the install.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Stick to collecting train numbers Mr Hansen you clueless tw*t,

Excellent, rudeness. Usually the resort of those with a limited
education.

Or a well timed insult to one who dearly needs it. Noting I said was
untrue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 23:19:51 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

The quad lnb Sky installed here has a retractable cover which telescope
in to get access and protects the connectors.

But has huge great holes so that it can telescope in over an SA tape
wraped F connector. Not really sure the pupose it serves other than a home
for spiders, neaten up the appearance a tad?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 23:19:51 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

The quad lnb Sky installed here has a retractable cover which telescope
in to get access and protects the connectors.

But has huge great holes so that it can telescope in over an SA tape
wraped F connector. Not really sure the pupose it serves other than a home
for spiders, neaten up the appearance a tad?

Keeps the weather off the tape though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:12:09 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

But has huge great holes so that it can telescope in over an SA tape
wraped F connector. Not really sure the pupose it serves other than a
home for spiders, neaten up the appearance a tad?

Keeps the weather off the tape though.

Which isn't needed...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:39:01 +0100 someone who may be ":Jerry:"
wrote this:-

Excellent, rudeness. Usually the resort of those with a limited
education.

Or a well timed insult to one who dearly needs it. Noting I said was
untrue.

Yawn. Had you not spoilt your posting by being rude it contained
some useful tips. My observation on those who resort to rudeness
remains.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:11:50 +0100 someone who may be tony sayer
wrote this:-

Unlikely. Sky tend to control such things so they are only installed
by registered staff.

You can install your own dish for Sky if you want .. nothing to stop you
at all..

Yes and no. It tends to be small suppliers from which one can buy a
Sky box, which means one must do a fair bit of research to find this
out and nearly everyone will go for the "engineer" installation.
Maplin don't sell Sky boxes.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Excellent, rudeness. Usually the resort of those with a limited
education.

Or a well timed insult to one who dearly needs it. Noting I said was
untrue.

Yawn. Had you not spoilt your posting by being rude it contained
some useful tips. My observation on those who resort to rudeness
remains.

It doesn't seems to have made any difference to others what I called
you so how did it 'spoil' what I said, the only one making an issue
out of all this is yourself - which in turn is making you look even
more of a tw*t!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 06:12:44 +0100, David Hansen
mused:

wrote this:-

Unlikely. Sky tend to control such things so they are only installed
by registered staff.

You can install your own dish for Sky if you want .. nothing to stop you
at all..

Yes and no. It tends to be small suppliers from which one can buy a
Sky box, which means one must do a fair bit of research to find this
out and nearly everyone will go for the "engineer" installation.
Maplin don't sell Sky boxes.

They're not exactly hard to find though, maybe not available in every
high street store but still.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Unlikely. Sky tend to control such things so they are only
installed
by registered staff.

You can install your own dish for Sky if you want .. nothing to
stop you
at all..

Yes and no. It tends to be small suppliers from which one can buy a
Sky box, which means one must do a fair bit of research to find this
out and nearly everyone will go for the "engineer" installation.
Maplin don't sell Sky boxes.

They're not exactly hard to find though, maybe not available in
every
high street store but still.

Also is there anything in the BSkyB's T&C that says that you have to
have installation and not just delivery?

Also, with so many people ignorantly referring to 'Sky' but meaning a
*Satellite* dish there is no certainty that a person asking such a
question is actually (going to be) a customer of BSkyB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:42:07 +0100 someone who may be ":Jerry:"
wrote this:-

It doesn't seems to have made any difference to others what I called
you so how did it 'spoil' what I said, the only one making an issue
out of all this is yourself - which in turn is making you look even
more of a tw*t!

Yawn.

The only person making a fool of themself is the one who is unable
to hold a polite conversation. You may have the last word.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

+
wrote this:-

Unlikely. Sky tend to control such things so they are only installed
by registered staff.

You can install your own dish for Sky if you want .. nothing to stop you
at all..

Yes and no. It tends to be small suppliers from which one can buy a
Sky box, which means one must do a fair bit of research to find this
out and nearly everyone will go for the "engineer" installation.
Maplin don't sell Sky boxes.

Its not really a yes or no thing, you can install your own equipment be it
sky or independant, its all readily available to buy. Theres no "small
supplier" theres tons and tons of them. No reasearch is nescesary. As for
the engineer installation well thats almost as fun as taking your car to
kwik fit, but you sound like the kind of person to enjoy going to quick fit
and feeling grateful after they tell you your brakes were about to fail and
you shocks are worn and everything else if stuffed and needs replacing. By
the time it comes to pay time your the kind of person who shakes there hand.
Just a wild guess from your posts.

Sorry to state the obvious here but 5 seconds in google will show many
suppliers selling sky standard boxs and sky + boxes and to chuck ebay into
the mix they sell just about everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

wrote this:-

[...]

Exactly he may be installing a polsat or something else. Not every flipping
satalite is for sky digital.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

+
wrote this:-

[...]

Is there a problem with your keyboard?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"clot" wrote in message
+
wrote this:-

[...]

Actually yes.

securing to plasterboard wall TheScullster UK diy 6 May 20th 07 10:27 AM
securing PEX lines Eigenvector Home Repair 1 June 12th 06 03:31 AM
Securing Underlay Hogwild Home Repair 2 March 15th 06 09:31 PM
Securing heavy electrical cable Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 9 August 12th 05 03:17 AM
Why heat bolt and not around bolt? Don Metalworking 21 March 12th 04 11:07 PM