Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone else done the Screwfix sorting exercise?

I had an email invite from Screwfix to do a product into category sorting
exercise online, with the lure of being entered into a draw for some free
vouchers. So, with nothing better to do for 20 mins I did it.

Stuff like deciding if Hammerrite should be in the Automotive, Decorating or
Ironmongery section, and if a kitchen tap should be with Plumbing or
Kitchens & Bathrooms.

Anyone else done it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 May 2009 22:34:33 +0100, "AlanD"
had this to say:

I had an email invitation from Screwfix to do a product into category sorting
exercise online, with the lure of being entered into a draw for some free
vouchers. So, with nothing better to do for 20 mins I did it.

Stuff like deciding if Hammerrite should be in the Automotive, Decorating or
Ironmongery section, and if a kitchen tap should be with Plumbing or
Kitchens & Bathrooms.

Could an item be in more than one section? A lot of catalogues do
this.

I'd never class Hammerite as 'decorating' material, or even
Automotive.

I would assume that a kitchen tap should come under K&B, whereas the
pipes that feed it would be plumbing things. Possibly it could come
under Automotive, since you _could_ connect a hosepipe to it to wash
the car.

Now, replacement washers/ceramic bits for said tap should come under
Plumbing...

Yours confusingly -
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 May 2009 23:34:33 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

I'd never class Hammerite as 'decorating' material, or even Automotive.

Automotive can work, but be aware that cellulose paint (normal car paint)
won't stick to it for long - so don't use it to cover up some rust before
a quick spray over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PCPaul wrote:
Automotive can work, but be aware that cellulose paint (normal car
paint) won't stick to it for long - so don't use it to cover up some
rust before a quick spray over.

Cellulose paint hasn't been used on a production car for a very long time
- it was banned for this sort of use years ago on pollution grounds. You
can still get it for repair purposes or DIY use - but very few places
stock it.

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
PCPaul wrote:
Automotive can work, but be aware that cellulose paint (normal car
paint) won't stick to it for long - so don't use it to cover up some
rust before a quick spray over.

Cellulose paint hasn't been used on a production car for a very long time
- it was banned for this sort of use years ago on pollution grounds. You
can still get it for repair purposes or DIY use - but very few places
stock it.

Recently had cause to make a week-long, work visit to a significant
bodyshop - and not a whiff of solvent. All the paint they use is
water-based.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2009 08:48:13 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PCPaul wrote:
Automotive can work, but be aware that cellulose paint (normal car
paint) won't stick to it for long - so don't use it to cover up some
rust before a quick spray over.

Cellulose paint hasn't been used on a production car for a very long
time - it was banned for this sort of use years ago on pollution
grounds. You can still get it for repair purposes or DIY use - but very
few places stock it.

Fair enough, but I can still tick that bit of trivia off my list now I've
used it ;-)

Sorting gravel from soil? N8N Home Repair 22 April 10th 07 11:50 AM
Sorting dip in garage roof andy UK diy 0 October 5th 06 01:55 PM
Sorting out that DRIP at home - from the horse's mouth [email protected] Home Repair 9 July 24th 06 01:06 AM
Sorting discs by weight Dave Hinz Metalworking 13 April 19th 06 05:14 PM
Sorting & storage of Capacitors west Electronics 0 July 28th 05 04:22 PM