Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing cooker hood - OK to use existing FCU and 13A socket?

I have an old cooker hood, which plugs into a 13A socket behind the
removable stainless steel chimney. The socket is supplied by a switched
FCU. I want to replace the cooker hood but the new one says it must be
permanently wired-in (because it is a fixed appliance, I believe).

Is there any problem with simply fitting a 13A plug to the new hood and
using it with the existing 13A socket (with a suitable fuse in the FCU of
course)? Are there any technical or legal (Part P) reasons I shouldn't do
this? Presumably just plugging something in won't involve Part P. Or will
it?..).

Thanks, Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve posted
I have an old cooker hood, which plugs into a 13A socket behind the
removable stainless steel chimney. The socket is supplied by a switched
FCU. I want to replace the cooker hood but the new one says it must be
permanently wired-in (because it is a fixed appliance, I believe).

Is there any problem with simply fitting a 13A plug to the new hood and
using it with the existing 13A socket (with a suitable fuse in the FCU of
course)? Are there any technical or legal (Part P) reasons I shouldn't do
this? Presumably just plugging something in won't involve Part P. Or will
it?..).

I bought a cooker hood just a few months ago and it came with a 3 pin
plug already. I doubt the regulations have changed since then. Even if
they have, nobody is going to care.

--
Les
Criticising the government is not illegal, but often on investigation turns out

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Big Les Wade wrote:
Steve posted
I have an old cooker hood, which plugs into a 13A socket behind the
removable stainless steel chimney. The socket is supplied by a switched
FCU. I want to replace the cooker hood but the new one says it must be
permanently wired-in (because it is a fixed appliance, I believe).

Is there any problem with simply fitting a 13A plug to the new hood and
using it with the existing 13A socket (with a suitable fuse in the FCU of
course)? Are there any technical or legal (Part P) reasons I
shouldn't do
this? Presumably just plugging something in won't involve Part P. Or
will
it?..).

I bought a cooker hood just a few months ago and it came with a 3 pin
plug already. I doubt the regulations have changed since then. Even if
they have, nobody is going to care.

I don't think you can say that because one model of an appliance comes
with a manufacturer's stipulation to hard-wire it, and other one comes
with a 3-pin plug attached, that this is automatic justification to
ignore the instructions on the first one.

But in this case it's hard to see why the OP's plan wouldn't be OK
(especially with the 13A plug hidden behind/within the hood).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster posted
I don't think you can say that because one model of an appliance comes
with a manufacturer's stipulation to hard-wire it, and other one comes
with a 3-pin plug attached, that this is automatic justification to
ignore the instructions on the first one.

My thinking was as follows. If there really is an official regulation
requiring the OP to hard-wire his hood to the mains, then it will say
something like "All cooker hoods must be hard-wired into a mains outlet,
and not plugged in with a removable plug." It is very unlikely to say
"Cooker hoods of types X1, X2, X3 ... must be hard-wired in, whereas
cooker hoods of types Y1, Y2, Y3 ... can be plugged in with a 3-pin
plug." And since it is evidently legal for *my* cooker hood to be
plugged in, then presumably the same goes for the OP's.

Do such regulations exist for *any* household devices, by the way? The
only reason I can think of for having hard-wired connections is that it
stops people plugging and unplugging certain devices with damp hands.
But that wouldn't be a very popular regulation .,. who wants a
hard-wired portable hair dryer?

--
Les
Criticising the government is not illegal, but often on investigation turns out
to be linked to serious offences.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
I have an old cooker hood, which plugs into a 13A socket behind the
removable stainless steel chimney. The socket is supplied by a switched
FCU. I want to replace the cooker hood but the new one says it must be
permanently wired-in (because it is a fixed appliance, I believe).

Is there any problem with simply fitting a 13A plug to the new hood and
using it with the existing 13A socket (with a suitable fuse in the FCU of
course)? Are there any technical or legal (Part P) reasons I shouldn't do
this? Presumably just plugging something in won't involve Part P. Or
will it?..).

Thanks, Steve

Thanks for the replles all. I'll put the 13A plug on. Cheers. Steve

Replacing Cooker Hood elziko UK diy 3 March 18th 09 09:38 AM
wiring chimney style cooker hood:power socket inside chimney [email protected] UK diy 9 December 18th 06 07:19 PM
AEG Cooker hood dazzle UK diy 2 February 2nd 06 11:28 AM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 06:41 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM