Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Steve is offline

Default Replacing cooker hood - OK to use existing FCU and 13A socket?

I have an old cooker hood, which plugs into a 13A socket behind the
removable stainless steel chimney. The socket is supplied by a switched
FCU. I want to replace the cooker hood but the new one says it must be
permanently wired-in (because it is a fixed appliance, I believe).

Is there any problem with simply fitting a 13A plug to the new hood and
using it with the existing 13A socket (with a suitable fuse in the FCU of
course)? Are there any technical or legal (Part P) reasons I shouldn't do
this? Presumably just plugging something in won't involve Part P. Or will
it?..).

Thanks, Steve