Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing Cooker Hood

I'm replacing our cooker hood. The original unit was connected via a fused
plug & mains socket. Is it OK to continue with this setup or do I have to
replace this with an FCU?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

elziko coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm replacing our cooker hood. The original unit was connected via a fused
plug & mains socket. Is it OK to continue with this setup or do I have to
replace this with an FCU?

TIA

Socket is fine. The thing to watch is that the socket (and plugtop) won't be
exposed to undue heat, steam and grease - but those are largely true of an
FCU too.

I assume that the socket is over the top of the hood?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Socket is fine. The thing to watch is that the socket (and plugtop) won't
be
exposed to undue heat, steam and grease - but those are largely true of an
FCU too.

I assume that the socket is over the top of the hood?

Yeah the socket is right above the top of teh hood and since I will be
ducting it there should be no steam and grease there. Can't see it getting
too hot either but will make sure. Thanks for the reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Socket is fine. The thing to watch is that the socket (and plugtop) won't
be
exposed to undue heat, steam and grease - but those are largely true of
an FCU too.

I assume that the socket is over the top of the hood?

Yeah the socket is right above the top of teh hood and since I will be
ducting it there should be no steam and grease there. Can't see it getting
too hot either but will make sure. Thanks for the reply.

Should be fine. The hood I just pulled out of the bungalow I'm fixing had a
socket over the top and apart from a light coating of grease on the
surface, seemed sound.

Regarding appliances (fixed or otherwise) and sockets - in other respects
it's little different to a washing machine or sink waste muncher - both can
be hard wired, but are commonly plugged in.

Cheers

Tim

Cooker hood! [email protected] UK diy 12 September 8th 06 05:46 PM
AEG Cooker hood dazzle UK diy 2 February 2nd 06 11:28 AM
cooker hood Valerie UK diy 4 October 6th 05 06:41 PM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM
Cooker Hood / Garage Stuart UK diy 1 June 23rd 04 05:41 PM