Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Planning/Building Regs for Outbuilding

Hi all

Just info seeking really.
I am in need of a bigger shed for lawn mower, garden tools etc (currently
using 14 year old wendy house .
What are the size restrictions, if any, and at what point to planning/BCO
need involving?
The likelihood is this will be an off-the-shelf timber item.
I've heard bad reports of sheet steel items with condensation etc (bad news
for tools, stored seeds etc)
What if I went for a detached single brick built structure - I'm not talking
huge, just decent potting shed size, maybe 3m x 2m max plan dims.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Just info seeking really.
I am in need of a bigger shed for lawn mower, garden tools etc (currently
using 14 year old wendy house .
What are the size restrictions, if any, and at what point to planning/BCO
need involving?
The likelihood is this will be an off-the-shelf timber item.
I've heard bad reports of sheet steel items with condensation etc (bad
news for tools, stored seeds etc)
What if I went for a detached single brick built structure - I'm not
talking huge, just decent potting shed size, maybe 3m x 2m max plan dims.

TIA

Phil

You only need planning / building regs if the total area exceeds 30sqm or it
is built within 5 metres of the house over 4metres high, you will not need
any, so go ahead.

Best to lay 100mm foundation floor on top of 6" hardcore and sand blinding,
dont forget the 1000gauge membrane, then build your brickwork or blockwork
off the floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Just info seeking really.
I am in need of a bigger shed for lawn mower, garden tools etc
(currently using 14 year old wendy house .
What are the size restrictions, if any, and at what point to
planning/BCO need involving?
The likelihood is this will be an off-the-shelf timber item.
I've heard bad reports of sheet steel items with condensation etc
(bad news for tools, stored seeds etc)
What if I went for a detached single brick built structure - I'm not
talking huge, just decent potting shed size, maybe 3m x 2m max plan
dims.
TIA

Phil

Have a look at http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/ which
should tell you all you need to know.

--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ray coughed up some electrons that declared:

[...]

Is that "5m and 4m" *or* "5m or 4m"?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ray wrote:

"TheScullster" wrote in message
.uk...

I am in need of a bigger shed for lawn mower, garden tools etc (currently
using 14 year old wendy house .
What are the size restrictions, if any, and at what point to planning/BCO
need involving?
The likelihood is this will be an off-the-shelf timber item.
I've heard bad reports of sheet steel items with condensation etc (bad
news for tools, stored seeds etc)
What if I went for a detached single brick built structure - I'm not
talking huge, just decent potting shed size, maybe 3m x 2m max plan dims.

You only need planning / building regs if the total area exceeds 30sqm or it
is built within 5 metres of the house over 4metres high, you will not need
any, so go ahead.

Looking at
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...315233153.html

There are a few other considerations:

»
Planning Permission
Rules governing outbuildings apply to sheds, greenhouses and
garages as well as other ancillary garden buildings such as
swimming pools, ponds, sauna cabins, kennels, enclosures
(including tennis courts) and many other kinds of structure for a
purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse.

Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008
outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not
needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and
conditions:

•No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal
elevation.
•Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves
height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres
with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
•Maximum height 2.5 metres within two metres of a boundary.
•No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
•No more than half the area of land around the "original house"*
would be covered by additions or other buildings.
•In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural
Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by
buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres
from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
•On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools
at the side of properties will require planning permission.
•Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will
require planning permission.
*The term "original house" means the house as it was first built
or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date).
Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a
previous owner may have done so.

*Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of
Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage
Sites.

Building Regulations
If you want to put up small detached buildings such as a garden
shed or summerhouse in your garden, building regulations will not
normally apply if the floor area of the building is less than 15
square metres.

If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and
30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for
building regulations approval providing that the building is
either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed
of substantially non-combustible materials.

In both cases, building regulations do not apply ONLY if the
building does not contain any sleeping accommodation.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 May 2009 08:48:54 +0100, "Ray"
wrote:

[...]

You may need planning permission if the building is near a boundary. I
suggest you ask your local planning department.