Stephen Tames

Default extensions and planning/building regs

My next door person of a semi has submitted a plan for a full width rear single storey extension in a 40 ft garden.

I saw the plans and it has a very high roof very visible from our kitchen window and has numerous details missing eg missing soakaway thet drained both properties rear
gutter and footings in ches away from sewer pipe to rest of street.

The planning officer says I cannot object on the small details as its building regs which he does not deal with; I can only object to loss of light and appearance,design.

Surely the location of services is part of the design or is this too simple?

thanks, Steve
Roger Mills

Stephen Tames wrote in message
My next door person of a semi has submitted a plan for a full width rear

single storey extension in a 40 ft garden.

I saw the plans and it has a very high roof very visible from our

kitchen window and has numerous details missing eg missing soakaway thet
drained both properties rear
gutter and footings inches away from sewer pipe to rest of street.

The planning officer says I cannot object on the small details as its

building regs which he does not deal with; I can only object to loss of
light and appearance,design.

Surely the location of services is part of the design or is this too

simple?

thanks, Steve

'Fraid that's too simple!

The planners are concerned purely with the *visual* aspects.

The building control department is concerned with the *functional* aspects -
with specific reference to compliance with the building regs - and aren't
too fussy what it looks like.

Of course, if the appearance has to be changed as a consequence of meeting
the building regs, it becomes a planning matter again.

Roger

Kevin

When we applied for permission to build our extension, we got an
architect friend to draw up some outline plans which we submitted with
the initial planning application, these contain very little detail but
gave a good indication of what we were planning.
Once approval had been given, we then needed to apply for building
regulations approval and had to have a more detailed set of plans
drawn up which covered all of the details which I expect you think are
missing from your neighbours plans.
Depending on your local building control office, your neighbour may be
able to proceed on a 'Building Notice' rather than a 'Full Plans'
submission, but if this happens, all of the details will be checked
on-site by the building control officer. Regardless of which method
is used, the BCO will want to examine the work at various stages to
ensure compliance with the regulations. Rest assured, the BCO's are
very keen on checking all of the underground work, especially the
drains.
Just be careful that you are not just looking for an excuse to object
rather than having a valid reason for objecting.
Stephen Tames

Thanks all for your replies which wereas helpful in wording my main objection . It looks like my concerns about building regs will be dealt with later and may cause them
to resubmit amended plans which will just waste their time and money!

Steve